RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Mercy kill and good eating

Boolit Master

Mercy kill and good eating

So with rifle season 11 days away I was I my good stand with crossbow been seeing way more bucks this year. At dawn I heard bucks grunting in the swamp, rutt is just starting; and than I heard what sounded like a heard of deer cross the freak, I saw movement than nothing; movement than nothing again ten I saw a deer come out into the mowed path, then I couldn't see it? The sky hadn't gone fully pink yet so I hit my grunt a few times; a buck grunted back but further in the swamp not right out front where I swore I saw a deer; a few minutes pass the sky is pretty golden pink and absolutely no wind and I hear movement right behind a large autumn olive bush to my right front and a large doe stepped out and than was gone in an instant but I can see all areas of approach for 50 yards?

Now I think my eyes are playing tricks on me, than the poor doe stands up out of the grass to my right front, I can see something is wrong with her. She takes a few steps toward my left and almost falls again, she stands still for a moment and I can see she is wobbly. Sick or injured I didn't know

Boolit Master

So I decided to take her;at 37 yards I made what I must say was a perfect shot, top of the heart both lungs, she fell at the hit, jumped up and made it less than 10 yards before falling dead. Her right hind leg had large 8 inch puncture wound below the knee, it went all the way through and was about 2 inches wide and took a large chunk of bone with it. It was a fresh wound and nasty but it hadn't yet gone to rot. Thanks to her our tribe will not go hungry and father deer was honored; I gave her the most humane ending possible given the circumstances!

I cannot currently post pics; I'd gladly send one to someone who can if they'd be kind enough to post it here

Boolit Master

You did a good thing. I hate to see an animal suffer. When its my time I hope I get a quick ending like the animals I have hunted.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

You are a great hunter. Seen this before, not all survive injury but some do, and some will breed as I have seen one with a fawn on one occasion. 3 legged does are common it happens from snow/ice, predators and bad hunters.
    I would have done the same.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

You sir are a shining example for all of us hunters . Wish I could shake your hand.

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! Glad it was a recent wound so you were able to use her.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Well done
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master

Thank you all for the kind words ;just did what was right and it got meat in the freezer so deer season can be fun and I can try new things without to much worry of having to eat a tag sandwich

You did the right thing with no one watching. I'd proudly hunt with you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I had to do that once to a doe that looked like someone mangled her right front leg with buckshot. Unfortunately she had started to rot and was infested with maggots. I dragged her to a suitable place and the next day shot a coyote that was gnawing on her.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    You're going to be a terrible disappointment to the liberals who can't stand the fact that hunters are more often than not, friends of nature.

Good on you nagantguy.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Vendor Sponsor

Good deed indeed!

I shot an old doe once, she had two broadheads in her legs, 3 different sizes of buckshot. This old girl had been around the block many times and healed up. The meat was terrible, the whole animal tasted like liver and was tougher than a new catcher's mitt.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Great story, and well done, ethics is what it's all about. Last year, a friend of mine that I hunt with, pulled a shot that struck a doe in the jaw, practically removing it. I thought it was a clean shot, the deer dropped immediately. It jumped up and ran, my buddy was reloading (Encore/.460) and neither of us was ready, but we both seen the condition of her jaw. That was Monday, opening day. He hunted her and only her until Saturday morning (last day) and finally cornered her in an old creek bed.
    It's always pleasing to be found in the company of such men.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Banned
    well done!

Boolit Master

Not a brag ,but I shot a buck(9point)at 600 steps that had been shot before with buck shot and no telling what else.The bullet I used was a 100 grain sp that I had reloaded for my 30-06 Remington,it didn't go all the way through but was pushing a bump in the skin on the far side.The club gamewarden went in his truck to pick the deer up and after we got back to the road and found that one of the antlers had fell off in the bed of the truck,looked like he was just about starved to death from his wounds a dog hunter came up and said if we didn't want the deer he would take it and cook it up for his hounds.The antler that fell off had what looked like a #4 buck shot embedded in it.I think that this was a mercy killing the game warden club and state warden had a a little separate get together and decided that I didn't have to spend a tag on the kill. that didn't matter because I don't remember making another kill during the season of that year.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    nagantguy you did well. A few years ago I was hunting with a couple of buddies. We were using flintlocks and I heard one shoot in a wooded area of which I was on the edge of it and a field. I saw a doe come out hobbling along. Think it was wounded by my buddy, I determined to finish it off. I shot and down it went and when I got to her saw she wasn't shot but, her left front leg had about 6" missing. It was old enough it had healed and I felt bad about killing her but, after the hunt I was the only one with meat and it sure tasted good.

Boolit Master

Yep, you did good. I shot a doe a few years back that someone had shot from head on and hit her right rear leg breaking the bone and the leg was just hanging there. That poor deer had been going around with the bone sticking out for so long that the jagged edge was getting rounded off! She also had other wounds and was all infected and stinky, Coyote's ate good for awhile.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

As conservators of wildlife it is imperative we maintain a healthy heard. I think you did well and was able to provide food for you and your family. Good work

You did what a true sportsman's would do. You kept that deer from suffering or being eaten alive by coyotes.

Boolit Grand Master

My brother and I teamed up a couple of years ago, he shot a recently wounded buck and cheated the coyotes out of a meal. I shot a big boar and we drug it off to feed the coyotes he'd robbed. Good deal all around....except for the boar. I'm OK with that.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.