StainLess Steel MediaLee PrecisionInline FabricationGraf & Sons
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2ADvertise here

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 101 to 114 of 114

Thread: Categories of Scope Buyers

  1. #101
    Boolit Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boonesborough, KY
    Posts
    3,416
    Some other thoughts while waiting for a deer to come by for dinner:

    Every gun I own is more accurate than I am, and I would reckon that every scope I own has more capability than I can use. I am honest in admitting that my shooting abilities are not that good. I can kill something and make ok groups off a benchrest but that is it. I won't take a shot at game beyond 150-175 yards, I just don't trust my ability to make a clean kill. I'm not down in the dumps about it or anything, just a fact of life.

    With that in mind, spending big bucks on a scope isn't going to gain me a single thing. As said before, if a scope holds zero and doesn't fog up there isn't a whole lot more it can do for me. Extra brightness and clarity is nice but it would not change anything in the real world for me. So, we see that for a guy like me the category 2 scopes are about perfect. I should also add that most of my rifles wear receiver sights, as nearly all my shooting is done at under 100 yards. Also, some rifles such as pistol caliber carbines and top eject 94's are at their best with sights.

    Current scoped rifles in my battery are:

    Howa 1500 .257 Roberts with ER Shaw 24" magnum sporter barrel with Nikon Buckmasters II 4-12x40 in Leupold mounts

    Marlin Glenfield 30 .30 WCF with Swift 1.5-4.5x21 in Burris mounts

    Browning BLR .308 WCF with Simmons Pro-Hunter 2-7x32 (Phillipines made) in Weaver USA steel mounts

    I also have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40, NIB Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40, and Japan made Bausch & Lomb Bushnell 2.5x20 not attached to anything currently.
    Last edited by FergusonTO35; 11-20-2017 at 08:14 AM.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, .30 WCF, .45-70 Gov't.

  2. #102
    Boolit Master hornady308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - in the Piedmont
    Posts
    275
    FergusonT035,
    Of the first three scopes you mentioned, I have all three. I consider them excellent for my hunting environment. I'm ​a big fan of scopes that are 1.5 or 2x on the low end, but they aren't en vogue these days (unless you count "tactical" scopes). I have several of the Tasco EXP 1.5-5x32/44 and obviously like them, but they are quite a bit heavier and bulkier than the Simmons 2-7x32.

  3. #103
    Boolit Master

    Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    N Central Florida
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Some other thoughts while waiting for a deer to come by for dinner:

    Every gun I own is more accurate than I am, and I would reckon that every scope I own has more capability than I can use. I am honest in admitting that my shooting abilities are not that good. I can kill something and make ok groups off a benchrest but that is it. I won't take a shot at game beyond 150-175 yards, I just don't trust my ability to make a clean kill. I'm not down in the dumps about it or anything, just a fact of life.

    With that in mind, spending big bucks on a scope isn't going to gain me a single thing. As said before, if a scope holds zero and doesn't fog up there isn't a whole lot more it can do for me. Extra brightness and clarity is nice but it would not change anything in the real world for me. So, we see that for a guy like me the category 2 scopes are about perfect. I should also add that most of my rifles wear receiver sights, as nearly all my shooting is done at under 100 yards. Also, some rifles such as pistol caliber carbines and top eject 94's are at their best with sights.
    I'd wager that covers a bunch of us. In the scrubby are of florida I mostly hunt in, you can't even FIND a 150 yard open space to shoot across. Last Hog I took was 1/3 of that, THRU TREES. I have a scope on my marlin 336 30-30.. the scope cost 50$ more than the gun.. and the gun can't possibly outshoot the scope.

  4. #104
    Boolit Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Boonesborough, KY
    Posts
    3,416
    This is weird: I tried to edit my last post, and it posted the same thing as a new post with the part that I added.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, .30 WCF, .45-70 Gov't.

  5. #105
    Boolit Master waco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon
    Posts
    2,474
    I have a lot of wide open space out here in Oregon. If I chose to shoot at game at long distance(I don't) It helps to have a very clear optic with the reliable adjustments to dial in the distance. My targets of choice are made of steel. Same things apply though.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

  6. #106
    Boolit Master

    Soundguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    N Central Florida
    Posts
    827
    I never could wrap my head around the sportsmanship of hunting at extreme ranges. And if nothing else, if I do shoot a deer 1000 yards away, I have to hump 1000 more yards to even get over there, assuming no rough terrain in-between.

  7. #107
    Honcho, Boolit Master and Dean of Balls




    fatnhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,309
    3.

    I have a couple nikons and bausch & Lomb elites, but I'm a 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

  8. #108
    Boolit Master hornady308's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North Carolina - in the Piedmont
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    3.

    I have a couple nikons and bausch & Lomb elites, but I'm a 3.
    Do you see any difference between the B&L Elites and the newer Bushnell Elites?

  9. #109
    Honcho, Boolit Master and Dean of Balls




    fatnhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by hornady308 View Post
    Do you see any difference between the B&L Elites and the newer Bushnell Elites?
    honestly, I haven't used a newer Bushnell elite. Mine are packaged and represented as Bausch and Lombs. I'm unqualified to answer. Sorry.
    I will say this though, the rain guard on elites works! I love it.

    What it doesn't do is prevent fogging when the dummy behind the buttplate mouthbreathes on the ocular.

    Back to the B&L elites, I have one mounted on my Remington 11-87 SPS slug gun. The reticle gave up the ghost from the pounding. They repaired it under warranty and returned it to me in a mere fortnight. I was quite pleased with their service.

    The same applies to Nikon. I have a pair of 10x42 monarchs. As anyone that owns them know, the eye cups are less than perfect. These binos are more than 10 years years old. they repaired them free of charge. When I got them back I Would swear they looked like nikon recoated the lenses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

  10. #110
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    How about the mounts and base , this can add up as well .
    It all adds up, but it all matters when it all has to matter.

    I prefer American Rifle Company rings, Steiner military scopes, and NEAR rails on my long to intermediate range toys.

    My hunting guns get Leupold gold ring scopes with high gloss finish. Ton of class in those scopes.

    I use 2 $60 Tasco 6-24 varmint scopes for working with 22lr.

    Itís all about the application.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #111
    Boolit Master
    rintinglen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    HB, CA, FOR NOW
    Posts
    3,969
    When I have looked at a top of the line Zeiss, S&B or other high end scopes I am reminded of the old car joke. If Rolls Royce Makes such a nice car, why don't you see more of them on the road? I am a Cat 2 pocket book with Cat 4 dreams.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

  12. #112
    Boolit Master
    keyhole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    outside Seattle, WA.
    Posts
    178
    After many temporary romances with a variety of scopes I ended up being mostly a #3.
    When I was initially testing the scout mount concept on military surplus rifles I used NC star, just to minimize the investment until I knew the scout mount and scope configuration was going to work for my eyes, etc. Then I "upgraded" to BSA and Simmons, which I have to admit I never found lacking for range work.
    For commercial rifles I finally realized the extra money for a Leupold vs. other brands was money well spent. I never had the need or the funds to pay $3-4K for a scope.
    The one time I used Leupold customer service to repair an old 3-9 I was very favorably impressed. They rebuilt the whole scope, for free of course, and updated several features.

  13. #113
    Boolit Master waco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Springfield, Oregon
    Posts
    2,474
    I just bought a new Bergara B-14 Hunter in .30-06
    I purchased a Leupold VX3i 4.5x14x40 CDS scope along with two piece steel Warne mounts and steel Warne low rings.
    I have not shot this yet but I was very impressed with the quality and clarity of this optic.
    I'm looking forward to developing a hunting load so I can send all the data to Leupold to get my custom turret cap made.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

  14. #114
    Moderator

    ShooterAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Posts
    2,408
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    I just bought a new Bergara B-14 Hunter in .30-06
    I purchased a Leupold VX3i 4.5x14x40 CDS scope along with two piece steel Warne mounts and steel Warne low rings.
    I have not shot this yet but I was very impressed with the quality and clarity of this optic.
    I'm looking forward to developing a hunting load so I can send all the data to Leupold to get my custom turret cap made.
    I have the same scope setup for my Ruger MKII 300 Win Mag. The Leupold turret/cap system, it flat works and is very repeatable at all the distances I have tried with it. The longest distance so far for me has been 600 yds, and no I won't shoot any farther than that when hunting. There's some guides in my area that put the very same scope on a Weatherby 30-378 and have their clients shoot game at 1000 yds+ with remarkable success.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check