RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kroil and my long lost micrometer

Kroil and my long lost micrometer

My basement flooded for the first time ever about 15 years ago. Much of my reloading and casting equipment was down there stored in various containers. Some of the containers floated around or sunk and filled with water. Much was ruined. Fortunately all my loaded ammo was in military ammo cans with intact seals and survived.
    This particular story is about a micrometer that had gotten lost in a small soaked container and not found for several years. Nothing special about the micrometer. It was rusted sufficiently that the adjustment knob would not turn at all. I tossed it aside and thought I had thrown it away years ago.
    A couple of years ago I moved and apparently that micrometer moved with me. I found it last week while searching for some other things and laid it on my gun cleaning table. Just for grins I sprayed it heavily with Kroil just to see if there was any hope for it. This week I stumbled across it again while cleaning some pistols. When I picked it up, it still wasn't wanting to turn. I gave it a light tap on the table and it started turning.
    After a very short time it regained full movement and now opens and closes completely. UNBELIEVABLE.
    Kroil is really good stuff.

Banned
    I'm sorry to hear about loss & glad you got your micrometer freed up.

Kroil is excellent, but expensive. (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50) is actually better and cheaper

Rust Remover/penetrating oil
    “Machinist Workshop Magazine” did a test on penetrating oils.
    The torque required to loosen them.
    PB Blaster: 214 lbs;
    Liquid Wrench: 127 lbs,
    Kano Kroil: 106 lbs
    (ATF)/Acetone mix (50/50): 50 lbs.

Boolit Grand Master

Now that its turning remove the thimble sleeve and see if there is a collet thread nut on top of the thimble. If so a little flitz or other very fine abrasive and wok stop to stop for several minutes then clean and assemble with a very light oil. Adjust the collet down alittle at a time and they may become accurate again also.

Boolit Master

I use a lot of Kroil when used correctly a small can will last for years
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

will last for years
    The can I bought surely will, it stinks so bad I won't use it.

Boolit Master
    Repeated application of kroil got the buffington sight on my trapdoor moving freely again.

Boolit Master
    Claude are you sure that isn't Ballistol?

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Once you get it free use a good inst. Oil kriol will jell up if left fore a long time. Made that mistake on some old mics .

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Kroil stinks almost as bad as Ballistol. Just seems most people can take the Kroil smell.

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Once you get it free use a good inst. Oil kriol will jell up if left fore a long time. Made that mistake on some old mics .
    Thanks for that info. I wasn't aware it did that. I think I will use some of my gun oil on it.

Boolit Master
    IT wont jell and it can be on molds for 10+ years and they still work.
    you people that dont like it wont use it. only mold release that dose work if you use it right . have molds that have not been used in 10yrs. they will cast and release everytime

Surprisingly enough, I graduated high school back when it was necessary to know how to read, it is indeed Kano Kroil.

Boolit Grand Master
    Different stinks for different folks. Ballistol doesn't bother me at all, while Kroil smells awful.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

About 20 years ago I had occasion to take some stuff to our son and daughter-in-law in Nashville. After delivering, I went by the Kano plant and bought a gallon of Kroil. I think it cost about $35. I've used it ever since and gave small cans away and still have more than I'll ever use. Works great for cleaning barrels(lead not copper).

I have read the American Machinist report several times and have no issue with it. My issue is with acetone. I don't like the stuff. I don't often run into world class frozen assemblies and therefore will stick with Kroil.

The only problem I've had is remembering to set little squirt cans on aluminum foil on the shelf. The stuff will "creep" out and soak the wood(osb) shelf.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I like Kroil. I like the smell, how it works and how little it takes to get things going again. Got my first can from the tool crib at the machine shop I worked at years ago. It lasted a long time. Got 3 more cans a few years back from Kano Labs. It was a buy 1 get 2 free deal I believe. I also have some milsurp solvent that I swear is Kano Kroil. Smells the same, works the same etc. I have a big can of it.

For the record....I have never heard of Kano Kroil "gumming up". I have heard WD40 doing that. WD has no place around guns or precision equipment EVER!

Also as a side note after I bought the Kroil direct from Nashville, They sent me their newsletter for about 2 years afterward. Really neat stuff.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Yup, WD-40 will turn an orange color and get hard as a rock. I have a pint can of kroil a service man gave me when I was working at the sawmill. That was over ten years ago and I still have at least half of the can. When I first started using it I couldn't stand the smell, but now it doesn't affect me. The LGS had some Ballistisol wipes as a giveaway, I took three home and was really surprised. I ended up buying a can. It smells a bit strange, but works well. When I have the need to really clean my bores a Kroil soaked patch will go through first. It will loosen anything, at least in my firearms.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I seem to remember someone posting that Kroil was good for loosening lead deposits in barrels. I have never tried it but it is a good thing to remember just in case.

Boolit Master
    Kroil is great stuff. It will clean lead deposits as well. Just takes a little more time, and two or three soakings.

Boolit Grand Master

For the record....I have never heard of Kano Kroil "gumming up". I have heard WD40 doing that. WD has no place around guns or precision equipment EVER!
    I agree. When I used WD40 a lot was on fishing reels that were used and cleaned often. If a part, or tool is to be cleaned and put away for any period of time I use Kroil. I have used Kroil on barrels as I've read that it will creep under/between the leading and the barrel. Seems to do so 'cause it works...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Nobody speaks to the major downside of this stuff. I had two smaller cans of Kroil in amongst all my reloading equipment and when I moved it remained with the equipment in sealed cardboard cartons in my garage for 14 months.

You must understand I live in Las Vegas. These cans went trough two; I repeat two scorching Las Vegas summers. From June to late September the temps range from 70 to 120 degrees with at least 80 days higher than 100 degrees and 20 or so higher than 110 and handful higher than 115.

Those two cans had fallen over and leaked everywhere in those cartons. Then to the cartons alongside and under until I had a stinking mess.

Now I have to go out and buy some more because it is great stuff.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast