RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingPBcastco
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Remington Number 4 Rolling Block

Boolit Master

Remington Number 4 Rolling Block-update

I ran across a Remington Number 4 Rolling Block in .32 rimfire today. The gun is in excellent shape, except for one thing, when the hammer is cocked all the way back, the loading gate won't open. There is just enough of a hang up to keep it from opening. If you thumb the hammer back ever so slightly past full cock, the loading gate will open. The loading gate opens very smoothly then, nothing sticking. The hammer comes back and goes down very nicely, the action is excellent. It's just that one thing. I checked, all of the action screws are tight. The shop happens to have two other Remington #4's, also in .32 rimfire and the loading gate opens with ease. I like this gun, and I think it MIGHT be an easy fix, but I don't know what it would be that I was fixing. Anyone else ever run into this?

Here's the hammer back, gate closed. The loading gate won't open.

If you thumb the hammer back, the gate opens fine. It doesn't even need to be pulled back this far.

Last edited by David LaPell; 11-14-2017 at 06:57 PM.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Either the hammer or trigger is worn so it is not cocking all the way back. Have to take it apart and see what is not right. Not a difficult fix, but may require welding. Check the fit of everything on their pivots as well.

Boolit Master
    Well, I decided to take a chance on this gun. The rifle is $275, so I traded a .22 single shot I don't use for it, I have enough others that it isn't a biggie, and I think I will take it apart, clean it and see what I can do with it. Dixie Gun Works has kits where they sell brass that you can get a .22 blank to act as a primer for it, load it with black powder and then use a .310 round ball. So it can be shot, just a little differently.

Here are some more pics, the gun is far from mint, but it's in very good shape, it's an earlier take down, so pre-1924 according to the serial numbers. I will be picking it up Friday when I pay off the rest of the money on it.

Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Of course I'm sure you know to only use black powder in that. Neat little rifles, I enjoy mine but need to give it some love and get it back up to speed one of these days. Have fun with yours! BTW, rolling block parts has the springs and a few other parts for them if you have the need.