RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoWideners
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: 50-70 Shiloh sharps vs 50-70 government?

50-70 Shiloh sharps vs 50-70 government?

Hi guys I am looking at building a 50-70 government. I am looking at getting a PTG reamer through midway (i have heard that dealling with PTG directly can be like pulling teeth).

Midway however only list a Finish Reamer 50-70 Shiloh Sharps not a 50-70 government!

Does anyone know what the difference in the chambering is? I can find no date at all on the shiloh sharps is it a very slightly different chmaber or completely different, google turns up nothing for a 50-70 shiloh sharps (to add further confusion a 50-70-1 3/4 sharps also comes up.

Please if anyone knows the difference between the two let me know. failing that I will contact PTG and wait for a reply!

Thanks

Boolit Bub
    Hi mate, I have occasionally read about the 50-70 Shiloh Sharps, but was never really clear on what was meant by it. I assumed it was 50-70 in a Shiloh Rifle?

Given I can find no specific data for a 50-70 "Shiloh Sharps" I would think it's a nomeclature issue. But, given we cannot be sure yet, why not email the store and ask them, given they sell the product?

Have emailed hopefully I get a reply soon.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You can go to PTG's web site to look see if they have the drawings for those reamers, and compare the difference.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Get a Clymer reamer.If you contact them directly they will send you a print of the reamer before you order.I have used many Clymer reamers and never had a problem.Manson reamers are excellent also.

Boolit Buddy
    AFAIK, the main difference between the Gov't spec and the Shiloh is bullet diameter. Shiloh is nominal .512", whereas Gov't spec is nominal .515"
    John Wells in PA

Peabody's and Peabody-Martini's wanted
    Also shoot a 10-PDR Parrott Rifle in competition

Unless Shiloh has changed their reamers they are .535 at the case neck with a .510 throat and a 2 degree 30 minute lead with no freebore.

Boolit Master
    Don't take anyone's word for the dimensions of any caliber that is this old.
    You can potentially wind up with dies and a chamber reamer that are not compatible for best accuracy.

Many modern 50-70s are .512 groove diameter while originals are .515 and larger
    I would not really base any decision on what Shiloh does but rather on the groove diameter of the barrel that you buy and then the bullet molds that are available.
    Check reloading die dimensions too. The most commonly found are RCBS and Lyman. Use dies that will work with your chamber and bullet diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by andym79 View Post
    Hi guys I am looking at building a 50-70 government. I am looking at getting a PTG reamer through midway (i have heard that dealling with PTG directly can be like pulling teeth).

Midway however only list a Finish Reamer 50-70 Shiloh Sharps not a 50-70 government!

Does anyone know what the difference in the chambering is? I can find no date at all on the shiloh sharps is it a very slightly different chmaber or completely different, google turns up nothing for a 50-70 shiloh sharps (to add further confusion a 50-70-1 3/4 sharps also comes up.

Please if anyone knows the difference between the two let me know. failing that I will contact PTG and wait for a reply!

Thanks
    Last edited by EDG; 06-15-2017 at 11:57 PM.
    EDG

I have a modern 50/70 with 0.512"bore and 1:26" ROT

Shot this group just today!

Last edited by Bad Ass Wallace; 08-21-2017 at 08:05 AM.
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Hi at what range is that? I am interested in if it can do 100, 150 and 200 accurately.

I got drawings from PTG the Shiloh had a 510 throat the government a 512

Boolit Grand Master

I have about 40 reamers from PTG. Great company to deal with. All puchased directly from them.

Did you find that the reamers were dispatched in good time? I hear often that they are good quality but it might take a year to get your reamer!

Boolit Buddy
    The 2 use the same case. The Shiloh runs a tighter throat, with less leade.
    LG
    Hav'n you along-Is like lose'n 2 good men

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    I have a modern 50/70 with 0.512"bore and 1:26" ROT

Shot this group just today!

Hi bad *** what range is that group at? And what size bullet?
    Last edited by andym79; 08-22-2017 at 08:59 AM.

id be interested in your load too, i just bought a swedish 50-70 govt rolling block a couple weeks ago and have just started loading for it. found a load that shoots decent 49g of Hodgden 777 with the lyman 515141 with new starline brass and cci LR primers

Boolit Master
    A simple straight taper case chamber of that size is very simple to do on a lathe with taper attachment.By the time you get a reamer out to Oz you ll be on the wrong side of $250-$300.The other economical way is to buy a standard /straight reamer and grind the taper and throat onto it.Chinese off ebay ,of course.......I would bore it.