RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Mod Lee gauge shell holder for trimming brass

Banned

Mod Lee gauge shell holder for trimming brass

This is a simple shell holder mod to make it easier to lock in and loosen while seating and removing the brass your trimming using
    [quote from Lee]
    "The Lee Case Length Gauge & Cutter and Lock Stud is the simplest way to check the case and trim to the correct safe length."

I just took a reloading die lock ring I had lying around (I'm sure none of you have any spare parts lying around ) and pressed the shell holder (OK I used a large pair of vise-grips [don't use visegrips, it goes in croocked] use a bench vise or ? would work better) into the lock ring (it's a really good fit) just to where you could still slide a case in and out then I thightened the allen set screw for extra secureing.

The reloading die lock ring is a bit too rough so I'm going to spin it in some sandpaper to make it more comfortable

I'm going to either epoxy the cutter into a wood ball from a reloading press handle to make easier to hold clamp it into a small vise (I think I'll go with the vise, it frees me from having to grab it on every case, I'm also thinking mounting the debring tips or use my RCBS trom mate without turning it on.

Nothing earth shattering but I have 2500 pieces to do and can use all the help I can get.

P.S. make sure you flare/enlarge the case enough to easily fit in the trim gauge
    I sanded /polished the trim guage diamiter down a little so the brass could slide over easier and that helped keep the brass from sticking to it and made it much easier to trim.
    Last edited by Grmps; 11-13-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Boolit Master
    Neat ideal

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I am going to try this in the next few days if I can.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    This is a quick stand I threw together to hold the cutter
    2x4, cut out a notch for the clamp to fit in, drill a hole the size of the cutter, cut a slot through the hole and 1 inch past it,
    slide in the cutter, clamp the slot together, stick 2x4 in drill press vise, clamp vise to the workbench.

I ended up putting the shell holder and lock ring in a vise to true it so it would spin evenly.... much better now.
    Last edited by Grmps; 11-14-2017 at 04:30 AM.

Banned
    updated holder
    I drilled the 2x4 and threaded the deburring ends onto the board.

Banned
    converting 9x19 to 9x18 in nickel is a little hard for me with this lee die setup, wasn't as accurate as I would like so I switched to my old standard.

Boolit Grand Master

Lee makes and sells a three jaw chuck that initially fit their Zip Trim - works great on a drill motor, just have to keep it clean.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    with the Lee
    Lee Precision 3 Jaw Spinner Stud

thanks Wayne

Boolit Grand Master

I used mine long enough that I had to take it apart to clean it and then get Lee to send me instructions for re-assembly! They did, too.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

The die lock ring is a great idea, I will copy it soon, and a few times.
    I bought a lee 3 jaw chuck and never could get it to work, haven't mess with it for years, maybe it has grit in it.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Banned
    Built a quick and dirty "jig" (1 piece bottom goes under the trimmer and the drill ) for my drill.Now it stays perfectly aligned the sides center the drill and keep it from falling over and the boards underneath center for height. I left them loose so I can adjust height later if needed.
    I had the trimmer sharpened by a friend that owns a saw and tool sharpening business on his endmill sharpener---wow what a differance)

Trimmed 9x19 to 9x18 3 second trim time (after putting the shell in the holder) and almost NO BURS

trimmed but not debured yet

Last edited by Grmps; 11-23-2017 at 07:17 PM.