Thread: Strange Modern? Underhammer

Banned

Strange Modern? Underhammer

Just came in off the truck. Zero markings other than

M2
    1:22
    45 70

The barrel width is 1 1/8" - Length 30"

This is an underhammer but more of an inline set up with a scope and modern style walnut stock. Super heavy duty like for competition shooting.

Any ideas what I got? Any idea on value? The bore is perfect, almost looks unfire with my bore camera. Even the action is extremely clean. The wood has its little bruises but at 13lbs, i think thats understandable lol.
    Last edited by FrontierMuzzleloading; 11-13-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Boolit Master

It appears to have an H&A style action. These can be bought from Pecatonica with barrels and made into something like this.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't read what is on the card. Is that load information?
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Yes

Twist 1-22
    Patch .008
    Groove dia .457
    Ball size .437
    Conical .450
    Black Powder 70GR

Boolit Master
    Probably someone made themselves a chunk gun. The large and flat fore stock is meant to sit on a log or other similar surface. Since there is 45-70 engraved on it the barrel might be from a conversion. The high cheek piece and rearward mounted scope would make the rifle very easy to shoot.

Banned
    it does shoulder beautifully, its right there as soon as you bring the stock up. Good clean trigger pull as well.

It is fantastically ugly...... I like it!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Banned
    a lot of comp guns are ugly lol. Its balance though, mother of god! You can stand up and its so heavy, but its balance is awesome. A very steady rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    It is fantastically ugly...... I like it!
    I was thinking the same thing. I'm considering building an underhammer, and now I've got a new 'twist' to think about. Thanks for posting this, very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Yes

Twist 1-22
    Patch .008
    Groove dia .457
    Ball size .437
    Conical .450
    Black Powder 70GR

What is the rifling pattern like, the width of the grooves versus the lands?

Banned
    narrow lands, wide groove.

Boolit Master
    I belonged to a large gun club many years ago, many decades really and we could buy those made by H&A for around $60 as I recall. The club was so large that we could buy at the same prices as distributors. It was the Santiago Rifle & Pistol Club in case some of you remember it. I had a .45 & a 38 caliber. The 45 would shoot a very small group if you didn't take any practice shots. After six or seven shots the group size would began to grow. I was late one Saturday for the 100 yard bench rest match but they agreed to wait for me if I just shot for record with no practice shots, so I did and I won the match. After that I didn't take practice shots. I only used the 38 caliber for fifty yard offhand matches. The rifles made by H&A looked nothing like the gun pictured here and I doubt if it did when it left the factory.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Banned

I like it a lot, where can I get one?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I like it a lot, where can I get one?
    Im interested in letting it go.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't believe that a 1:22 twist was a standard H & A barrel however - and the H & A under hammers had Numeric barrels - known for their undersize. A year ago I sort of "restored" a H &
    a underhammer - ie. the stock was broken, etc. That one has a 45 caliber barrel but it is undersize and requires a .437 ball which is what the scissor molds that came with them used to drop at for RB. Over the years, I'e owned a number of the H & As and all had Numerich barrels that had tight bores. I also bought one of the H & A copies that Deer Creek used to make but they had Green Mountain barrels on them as far as I know.

Any markings on the barrel at all? I'm not saying it isn't a H & A barrel but the 1:22 would not have been their "normal" production as far as I know . . . and I've been wrong before.

An interesting rifle that ought to be fun to see what it will do. A PP conical ought to work well out of it.

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9765.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	207741

Boolit Master
    I never understood why the underhammer never caught on. True, it is ugly, but if it works, then it is actually just fine.
    the underhammer with the nipple pointing directly to the powder charge, should be the ignition king of all caplock muzzleloaders.
    it gives a clear & clean view of sights over the barrel.
    the trigger guard is the mainspring, the trigger is the sear, the hammer is the tumbler, how much simpler can it get?

Banned
    very true. Ive seen plenty of the traditional style under hammers but this one just really knocked my socks off. Seems more practical for a target shooter with the scope and comp style stock. I actually had it on the sand bags today at 100 yards. I didnt shoot, just wanted to feel it. Simply amazing how this heavy rifle just holds so solid.

Boolit Master

With that twist it will like slugs better than RBs. Probably made for a mid or LR gun.
    Deer Creek made their own barrels before it was sold. They had 2 rifling machines on site. I have had 2 of their H&A RB guns in 50 cal and they shoot lights out, but they like a lot of powder (100gr 3F). I talked to the old owner and he had 28 employees in the hay day of the 70s and 80s building these and the Mowry rifles.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    I bet it will shoot a .45ACP bullet terrific. Cast them of pure soft, they will obturate and grab the rifling.
    Try the LEE 452-220-TC.
    I had good luck with that TC bullet out of my round ball barrel, it did grab rifling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast