Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange Modern? Underhammer

Banned
    220gr seems pretty light for a 1:22 twist. I was thinking more in the 460+ gr range.

Boolit Master
    the 45ACP bullet is easy to find, easy to cast, you probably already got a mold for that.
    the 220gr will leave the muzzle at a good velocity, in that gun nearly 1900fps, maybe 2000.
    that will shoot flat to a minute of steel out to 135yards or better.
    the 460gr will be slow velocity and more trajectory.
    If I remember correct, the standard twist for a 1911 is 1:16.
    So a 1:22 is 37% slower than a 1:16.
    Also, a too fast twist is easier to stabilize than a too slow twist. what I mean is you got more wiggle room with a fast twist than a slow twist.
    I shoot a 260gr .45 pistol bullet through a 1:28 twist at a high velocity, and it is just fine.

Boolit Master

Pistol and rifle twist for the same boolit are usually different, but all you can do is try it and see what happens.
    Years ago I tried shooting a 38-40 boolit in my 40cal ML with a 48 twist barrel. For the most part it shot minute of deer. About 1-7 rounds would be a serious flyer like 7 or 8 inches out of the group. Of course the flyer happened on a deer shot and I had to follow up and finish her while she was bleating like hell. I never used that 40 again for deer hunting. I don't take bad shots and I knew this was a possibility and figured the odds were in my favor. Hard lesson learned.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Since this rifle is a muzzle loader, the bullet will probably need to be bore diameter or as on the card 0.450 or maybe 0.451. The groove diameter is 0.457 which was what my BPCR guns were and I shot 0.458 diameter bullets BUT they were loaded from the breech. You could try a 500 grain Creedmoor grease groove bullet and the 70 grains would be fine. Probably use a 0.060 fiber wad on top of the powder. The specs on the card are for round balls but I think the patch is really thin but that is what the builder of the rifle sez! That is the fun of an unknown gun as you get to experiment with it! I have two rifles like that, one came from WI and it shoots patched round balls out to 200 yards with about 1/2 minute groups when using my Lead Sled.

In thinking about it, the chunk gun I got from Emery (mentioned above) had mounts on the barrel for a scope like the one on yours. Maybe in the Northern U.S. there are matches for round balls and you can use a scope?

Boolit Buddy
    T\Do you think the faster twists, 1-16 for instance, would foul much faster? I've been thinking about fitting a GreenMountain barrel spec'd for .45ACP on a Knight Inline that has an unusable barrel. It would be used in the field and range. Be nice not to have to clean after each round in the field.
    Keep your plow share and your sword, know how and when to use them.

Boolit Master
    I would seriously doubt that is a field or hunting gun due to the stock and large barrel. The rifling will require a wet and dry patch after each shot. The fore stock is meant to be sitting on a rest or "log" or "table" for matches. In a private message I got, I suggested to post the pictures in as many forums as possible. Almost every state has black powder matches so while a bit of work, making up a short message and inserting the pictures as we have seen them then sending to whoever runs them. Someone has seen that gun and I imagine they are glad they do not have to shoot against it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12