Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chrono help

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I'm pretty sure I saw on here where someone was using LED lights hooked to the sky screens on his chronograph for indoor, or low light shooting, said it worked great?
    There are different type power controls on leds. A buck/boost regulator used with batteries will be a smooth pure light. The PWM is the cheapest and most common regulator. Even battery powered leds probably use PWM unless they are a higher end product. The ones that run from a constant power supply will have a P.W.M. controller . The PWM actually measures the pulse width to control output.
    This will totally mess with the chrony.

Have you even been behind a car and cut your eyes one way and saw multiple tail lights for a second like the old party strobe. That is what most leds are doing.
    Sent from my PC with a keyboard and camera on it with internet too.
    Melting Stuff is FUN!
    Shooting stuff is even funner

L W Knight

Boolit Buddy
    I love mine. I did get some funky readings and called them. They sent a new one- but truth be told I'm not 100% sure it wasn't the battery. Although I think I tried that. This weekend I used it outside- in the rain. Not a downpour but an alternate between misty haze and light sprinkles with large drops. A lot of false readings as the rain would trip one sensor, but not the other. Once I weeded those out I was left with solid data.

I didn't use the screens this time.

I usually set mine about six feet from the muzzle, but I'm also only using it for 9mm.

Boolit Master

In response to the comments about muzzle blast interfering with the chronograph & giving erroneous readings, I too have experienced that situation. My problem was not the distance from the sky screens, but from the muzzle blast of the rifle (in this case) being too close to the computer that receives input from the screens. I had always placed the computer on my shooting bench. I solved my problem by putting the computer inside a small Styrofoam box and set it on the ground at the foot of my shooting bench. Evidently this muzzle blast is no longer an issue as my unit now functions near 100%.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123