Titan ReloadingPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Paper 101

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    A. get longer brass. Or lengthen your brass. There is a guy that makes a jig to do the latter. But for sure,your brass is too short for your chamber.
    The case stretching jig is sold at http://kal.castpics.net/CaseStretcher.html
    It is demonstrated at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGzQsrPT4Qs

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    That is one cool rig there CM, but I was thinking of this
    http://www.classiccheckering.com/cla...kering_040.htm

In Remembrance
    That is one cool rig there CM, but I was thinking of this
    http://www.classiccheckering.com/cla...kering_040.htm
    Here's a video on Tim's stretcher. It works metal in the neck of the case where the amount available for lengthening is limited.

I recommend a shooter make his choice based on how much more length he needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQVNTvj5Lw

CM

Boolit Master
    I agree that if a lot of stretch is needed, your rig is the ticket. How much can you stretch with one of those and did you make it? It is darn slick but no trifle to make or purchase I'm sure.

In Remembrance
    I agree that if a lot of stretch is needed, your rig is the ticket. How much can you stretch with one of those
    Theoretically, you could use it to make 45/90 out of 45/70 brass, but the sizes of the die and punch won't cause that much stretch.
    As supplied, it will do up to about 40 thousandths, and it's easily modified to get more ... up to about a tenth.
    To get more would require different parts with different dimensions.
    As supplied, it will not reduce a case wall down to the thinness of Winchester factory 45/70.
    and did you make it?
    The basic concept is mine. Rick Kalynuik made stuff for me that I used to test the validity of the method. Then, he and I brainstormed it together to come up with a tool that anybody could use by reading a manual.
    It is darn slick but no trifle to make or purchase I'm sure.
    Rick makes them ... and sells them. Once the tool was available to the public I was satisfied, so my involvement ended ... except for providing tech support to users with questions.

Tim's tool requires the user to own a reloading press and (according to him) an RCBS sizing die.
    Ours requires the user to have a 4-ton porto-power hydraulic tool.

If a guy buys a porto-power just for this one purpose, the ninety bucks makes it darned expensive. If he has other jobs that the porto-power can be used for, that makes it easier to swallow.

Back when I was keeping track, Harbor Freight and Home Depot had some good prices on porto-power sets ... and there was the occasional 'deal' on eBay.

Rick has also developed replacement parts which can make the jig work with 38-55 cases, and perhaps others. He can fill you in on that.

CM

In Remembrance
    I was doing some housekeeping around my reloading supply zone when I (re)discovered the sample lens paper sent me by Ross Optical.
    I mentioned that back in Post #60 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...5&postcount=60 but did not provide any useful information.

Now that I HAVE been paper patching for a while, I have some idea of what 'useful information' looks like, so here is a bit of that.

I cut some patches to wrap on my .454" smooth-sided Money bullets.
    When wrapping dry, it's hard to get the paper on tightly. No matter how well-controlled the grip is during the wrap, the patch is still loose on the bullet when done.

Maybe further practice would get success, but I didn't choose to spend the time on a procedure that I can do easily with other papers.
    So ... I tried wet wrapping.

The lens paper goes on very sweetly when it's wet. It seems like it wants to be part of a paper patched package.
    Unfortunately for my purposes, even though the paper mics at about 4 thousandths thick when dry, a double wrap only adds 4 thousandths (total) to a bullet.
    That is, my .454" naked slug gets up to .458" ... no more.

But, as far as seeming like a useful paper for patching, I think it's strong enough (when dry) to do it's job. Because it IS so far under the size I use, I don't plan on shooting any of it.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 11-20-2011 at 09:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tested the:

Coffee filters
    Teabag paper
    tracing paper?

Boolit Mold

Paperbacks

Here's an odd thought, what about using pages from old paperbacks? If it works, a cheap source would be any Goodwill or Salvation Army store.
    If that, what does not kills us, makes us stronger, why ain't I superman?

Boolit Master
    you are scaring the hell out of me! I spent 24 years 11 months and 23 days making paper and they shut the mill down. I was a refiner operator, and a back tender most of the time there towards the end, and this made me relive all of those nightmares over.... the only thing I see, is that we made our paper (26# 30# and 40# ) at 1000 sheets per for the weight. once we accidentally made some 10 lb, and it is still being used for Sharps cartridges for my '59 Garrett.
    If a person ever gets to see the inside of a mill, it can be a frightening experience to see a machine the size of a football field going 22 mph sitting still.

Boolit Master
    btw, that is 8 days short of 25 years

Boolit Master
    Don't tell me...you were going to turn 65 in 8 days.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master
    no, however, because I was short of 25 years, they deducted my benifits.

Boolit Mold
    I too enjoyed your posts. I'm a retired B/T on a liner-board machine. Thanks ! To be honest, I miss backtending but not running the machine !

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456