Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I Make A Mistake?

Boolit Master

Did I Make A Mistake?

At the LGS today I saw a 94 Winchester in .32 Special. Date of manufacture was 1951. I'd say it was 90% or better, wood and metal both. A few small nicks and scratches, maybe a bit of finish thinning on the edges and at the carry point, but overall pretty dang nice. All original as far as I could tell, sights, steel butt plate, finish. Not perfect, but it was the best .32 model 94 I've seen in a long time.

Lever was tied down so I couldn't see the bore without asking a clerk to cut the tie, and I wasn't ready to buy anyway. I'd guess the bore was nice, just based on the rest of the gun.

$550.

I couldn't stop telling myself that I have tuition bills coming due, a couple of vehicles that need tires, and many other reasons to be responsible. I walked away, but that price seems awfully good for a nice pre-64 .32 Special. What do you guys think?

Uncle R.

What's your life worth - I'd rather be riding on good tires and saving for my next purchase than having my family going who wants this old lever gun after my funeral.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Got to agree with artful on this one. I have walked away from some really smokin, and desired guns due to being a responsible adult.
    Guns come and go, but keep life as long as God blesses you with it!

Boolit Grand Master

No, you did not make a mistake. Responsible priorities are always hard.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I think most of us understand the struggle...... I'm looking for a Rem Model 8/81 and a Werndl rifle....my two latest desires. Like you, though....I have two kids still at home, my son's truck needs tires, and we're traveling to Florida to see my eldest son for Thanksgiving. I've had to pass on some of the better deals I've seen on each rifle in the last few weeks.....but that's life. Modified5 said it....the guns will come and go, but life and family matter!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Buddy

It's hard to be an adult but in the end life's worth it! Never having kids I still understand what it's like, grew up very modest and know what is important and it's always been family!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Master
    You walked away from a excellent buyers price and a very collectable rifle. .
    As I believe: "Seldom will you see a dandy 32. That's why their called Special."

Boolit Master

Have walked away from many a good firearm deal only to tip a friend off about it and watch them buy the firearm I wished I could. Being retired funds are scarce and in short supply, just recently I found a firearm I would like and at a fair price, so I got in touch with a friend that was looking for the same item, friend walked out with it at the price I would have paid and I am glad someone that really wanted it got it and I didn't spend some of scarce funds.
    Life is a challenge and we need to understand that and we are going to have to pass on some really great deals in this life and sometimes they come back around when we are better able to afford them. No you didn't make a mistake just bad timing for the find.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Grand Master

Price Vrs want and NEED. The price was good you dun right!

Boolit Master

Why not do as others do and put it on "lay away", if the dealer would work with you.

I wish I had the money to buy all the good deals I have come across. I didn't actually pass them
    up, I couldn't afford to buy them. To me a passed up deal is when you could have bought if you
    so desired. You can't let hobbies control your life.

Boolit Grand Master

I've finally learned I can't buy every nice levergun I see. Most hunters and shooters simply don't hold them in the same high regard that I and others do. I have a very nice 32 of similar vintage that came home with me and has seldom left the safe since, but I'm a Winchester collector. I have other demands on my finances these days so I would probably pass on a similar rifle today. It's hard to pass up a rifle as nice as this one but my current policy is to pass unless it leaps into my arms and begs to come home with me. It still happens now and then but a lot of nice rifles get left in the rack for someone else to enjoy.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    It depends if OP actually planned to use the rifle. If it was "for collecting" or just to be a safe queen, then new tires over-rides (pun intended) hobby collecting. But if he was buying it to be a meat-getter, then just drive slow and safe on the older tires for awhile.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    I have to admit this thread generated more responses and in a different direction than I anticipated. Thanks to you all for your input and advice.

I appreciate the support for being a responsible adult and putting the safety of my family first. Those responses are absolutely correct, but it's not that the tires wouldn't get replaced or the tuition wouldn't get paid if I bought that rifle. I've been a responsible adult for many years now and even if I'm not wealthy I've reached a point where I could pay for that rifle without major strain.

As some of you noted, there's the question of would I really use it or would it just be a safe queen. While I consider the .32 Special an excellent cast boolit cartridge for range or deer, the truth is my shooting and experimenting have been slowing down over the years and I already have many project guns that have turned into safe queens. A hard look into my soul would make me admit that 94 would quite likely become another "some day" project that I never get around to.

What I was really wondering about was that price. I'm so far behind the times that I don't trust my own judgment these days on scarcity and price, but 550 for a really nice pre-64 .32 just struck me as crazy cheap. Is that right, or am I out in left field?

Thanks again!

Uncle R.

That's un-American, you should have just put it on an already overburdened credit card and hope it will either somehow pay itself off or the government will somehow forgive the debt. That's the American way.

Sounds like you did the right thing though.

Banned

that's about the right price.
    maybe 50-75$ more than I'd pay around here for an 'average' one.

Boolit Master

I hear that on bills. I loose 2/3 of my check to child support. Even splurging 60 bucks is tight. My wife gives me a monthly play allowance. When we decide to buy more guns she makes me justify and prioritize those guns. Then we save or wait till tax time. That way i dont have to feel your heart ache. I have had to pass on so many guns. I just refuse to to look at them now until i have the money. Then i price shop and compare. I am not a collector and all my guns get shot and used for why i bought them. I do find great deals when gun shoping though becuase I will go to ever pawn store and gun store in town. But i make sure i have the money before i go. Got a knight wolverine for 50 bucks and my lever gun for 300.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Buddy

It's just a gun. There will ALWAYS be nice guns for sale. Take care of your family first. Buy a nice gun when you have the jack and it doesn't detract from your real needs. Trust me - I've salivated over great deals for 40 years - there will ALWAYS be great guns and fabulous deals to tempt you. ALWAYS. ALWAYS.

Boolit Master
    If I find a gun that I like, it has to pass a simple test - can I sell it tomorrow for the same price or, even better, make money on it. I recently came across a 1907 Winchester Self Loader .351 for $200, and even though I have one, I grabbed it at that price. I put in a new recoil spring and buffer, and it's a great shooter. I should sell it, but...
    Is $550 a good price for a '94 Winchester in .32 Special? Based on Gunbroker, it looks like a good deal.

Boolit Master
    I have all the guns I'd ever need but I still like shopping for different ones. With two kids at home and not the best paying job, extra money is tight. If I find a gun I like, I pretty much have to give up one of my others to pay for it. Some people gasp and say they would never sell a gun. That's fine, but I actually think my system has worked well. If I don't have a gun in my safe that I am willing to trade for my new eye's apple, then the decision is made, I don't get the new one. My collection is full of guns I really like now after years of doing this. I'm to the point where I don't want to give up anything I have so my new gun itch has mostly been scratched.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast