RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did I Make A Mistake?

I kicked myself a few times for walking away from an incredible deals. C'est la vie. Life goes on and other opportunities will come your way.

Vendor Sponsor
    I am still haunted by a model 1899 Savage in 25-35 that I passed on when unemployed and a perfectly good visa card in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I have all the guns I'd ever need but I still like shopping for different ones. With two kids at home and not the best paying job, extra money is tight. If I find a gun I like, I pretty much have to give up one of my others to pay for it. Some people gasp and say they would never sell a gun. That's fine, but I actually think my system has worked well. If I don't have a gun in my safe that I am willing to trade for my new eye's apple, then the decision is made, I don't get the new one. My collection is full of guns I really like now after years of doing this. I'm to the point where I don't want to give up anything I have so my new gun itch has mostly been scratched.
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. I pretty much have to sell a gun in order to buy another. Sure, I have some regrets, but overall I have a safe full of quality firearms that I enjoy and very little money squandered in the process. My only weakness is that if I find something I really really want, I may sell or trade off a gun that I will end up regretting soon after. You think I would have learned my lesson by now

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Why not do as others do and put it on "lay away", if the dealer would work with you.
    This is how I ended up with My Tikka. It's one of very few, quality modern firearms I own. I had hunted for years with a 1960s era Remington 742, and accuracy was diminishing to the point it was not much fun anymore....nor wildly successful. My wife took it upon herself to visit my favorite LGS....who doesn't really have a 'layaway' program, but allowed her to start making payments/deposits anyway. (He's a good guy.....if you're in SC and looking for a good smith/LGS...PM me.). Long story short...I guess momma and the kids dropped off $10 here, $20 there....whatever they could for about 6-8 months, until there was enough in the pot for me to pick out a new hunting rifle for my birthday. I don't know that I ever would have done such for myself......but they found a way to make it happen, and we still managed to pay bills and buy groceries. Best. Birthday. Ever!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I went to a show last Friday . I have a weakness for Model 12s . I've walked away from many ..... A basic trap model for $250 . I didn't even fondle the visually perfect 42 last weekend . Believe me that was hard but nothing like the 16s ,20s and the factory box like example 28 ga .

Having a new home and a 1700 mile move just a few months away makes it easier to walk away .
    I did help my buddy Jorge (Scandinavian not Latino) come home with an 1889 example Trapdoor . He said it would look suspicious if we went to a show and bought nothing .........

Proud of my restraint !
    It saved me from 2 over priced 45-500+ moulds $100 for nose pour Seaco single , maybe but not for the RCBS and especially not when the copy 3 holer is available at NOE for $25 more to the door ......

You probably did right on the rifle and if it's supposed to be yours it'll be marked down to $475 and still there next month .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master
    Not only did you do the adult thing, but in the condition that you describe, I believe that you did the right thing. At least in my neck of the woods, a 32 Special is worth 50-100 bucks less than an equivalent 30 WCF. 550 simolians is a bit high for a well worn 32 SPL. 94, especially back in the mid-west where they are dirt common. I was at Williams Gun Sight store in Davidson Mich a couple years back and was flabbergasted at the number of 94's they had, and how little they were asking for them.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 11-14-2017 at 11:10 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    I kicked myself a few times for walking away from an incredible deals. C'est la vie. Life goes on and other opportunities will come your way.
    Better to kick yourself for passing on a gun than to kick yourself for buying it. Quite often a gun I REALLY like comes along after I pass on one that I only want to buy just because it's a good deal.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle R. View Post

What I was really wondering about was that price.

I'm so far behind the times that I don't trust my own judgment these days on scarcity and price, but 550 for a really nice pre-64 .32 just struck me as crazy cheap.

Is that right, or am I out in left field?

Thanks again!

Uncle R.

While post-64 .32's might be found for the same $$ or less, IME that pre-64 is a steal today (not whenever) at $550 (aka: crazy cheap).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A little late to the party here but I think you did the right thing by passing on it. I know values vary from location to location but I think it was price a bit high. My Dad had one as you described and it was a great rifle - wish he hadn't traded it off - but life still goes on. I have collected / traded for 55 years and many many times run across "deals" or something that I really wanted. But, I also realized that I had other responsibilities just as you described - tuition, new tires, bills, etc. Those are the things that HAVE to come first - that's part of being "grown up". And for all of the good deals that I had to pass up, I still survived and got along just fine without them and the sun still rose the next morning. Take care of the important things first - your family, your bills, your "necessities" - everything else is secondary and frosting if you can afford them. But don't forget to save along the way for the rainy days when things get tight and money may be short - I'd much rather know that my family is riding on good tires or a tuition payment is made than to have a pristine gun sitting on the rack. In the end, sometimes "less is more". Good luck to you - you have your head screwed on the right way!

Boolit Master

You walked your priorities are correct Listening to internet folk who many have none who cares.

Boolit Master
    that's one reason I don't even look if I don't have enough funds. Seems you always stumble on good deals when you can least afford them.

but........I'm gonna have to bite the bullet fore too long. I really want a nice single shot before I retire in a couple of years.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm kind of an ammohead type guy. I'm pushing 68 and would hate to start acting like an "adult" at this late date. Also I'm getting ready to buy a firearm that I can't afford and not sure what it will be.

The only 94 Winchesters I regret not buying when I had the chance were both pre-WW2 examples in "nice shape" (I.E. still mostly buued) Still one in 32-40 and the other in 38-55

Banned

So tough... I get it. Most every rifle I have ever bought I couldn't afford... and a Lot have risen in value. There's a rare stock I want real bad used right now and the guy wants $375 for it. $375 during Christmas... ugh

Banned

There's a Pre '64 one in a local shop here. Been there a while, priced at $750 or so. It'll likely be there a while.

The .32 Special is a neat caliber if you cast. I do have a late '40s vintage Marlin I saved from a pawn shop rack. Took a little work and it's not collector grade but is a good shooter and fun to hunt with. It was an impulse buy, but I wouldn't have done it if I couldn't have afforded it.

I am retired and can attest to buying a lot of rifles over the years just to experiment with or to find that perfect rifle. I am cursed with an experimental nature and once I have been there and done that want to move on. Getting over it now to some extent. There are not calibers that are really all that special as far as killing deer. I have used several of them and most work about the same. I am now looking at a Winchester 94 in nice condition for 400 and debating whether I want it. Its in 30-30, but as one writer put it, "a chipmunk cannot blow its nose with the difference in power" between them. I have a 35 Remington I had to have but truth be told I could live without it. I have sat through a lot of itches that need scratching and have often had no regrets.

DEP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12