Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: donor case for 32 S&W Long

Boolit Man

donor case for 32 S&W Long

I am not too familiar with this cartrage. What cases can I use to form 32 S&W Long? Thanks

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    No need to form. Common, in current production from Starline.

Remington brass also available.

Ammo in current production from Remington, Winchester, Federal, Aguila, S-B, RWS, Fiocchi, Norma, Lapua.

Very popular in Europe.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    What output said. No need to reinvent the wheel. Too cheep to even think of making

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Ahh come on guys. if the man wants to cross the river to get water, then let him!

32 H&R Magnum can be shortened
    7,62x38R Russian Nagant can be shortened
    32-20 WIN can be shortened
    25-20 WIN can be reformed
    327 FED MAG

And i suspect they are all more expensive than just plain buying 32S&W cases in the first place.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the responses. I will take the easy way and buy some.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Ahh come on guys. if the man wants to cross the river to get water, then let him!

32 H&R Magnum can be shortened
    7,62x38R Russian Nagant can be shortened
    32-20 WIN can be shortened
    25-20 WIN can be reformed
    327 FED MAG

And i suspect they are all more expensive than just plain buying 32S&W cases in the first place.
    .32-20 and .25-20 cannot be shortened to .32 S&W long, entirely different head size, .32 S&W Long being .375 rim diameter, .337 body diameter cylindical, 0.92" long, whereas .32-20 and .25-20 are .408 rim diameter, .353" at head tapering to .342 at shoulder and 1.315" long

Sure you COULD take .32 H&R Mag. brass and trim from 1.075 down to 0.092", but it seems a fool's errand to take an expensive case which is less easily found and cut it off to make a common case with is easily found more cheaply than the source stock you are cutting, just sayin'...same goes for cutting off .327s, and 7.62 Nagants why?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll respond to Big Dipper's question in another way.......what a shame that someone wanting info about a classic caliber still in serial production can find so little info generally available that his first instinct is to ask about deriving it from some other caliber that gets a lot more gunrag attention.

The 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police is a delightful caliber. I have revolver examples in 32 H&R Magnum and now in 327 Federal, but most of my shooting with those calibers gets done with ammo loaded to mimic the 32 SWL's performance, or exceed it slightly. The RCBS 32-98-SWC running at 900-950 FPS @ the muzzle is a small game/small varmint harvester like few others. Loads of this sort have taken hundreds of small varmints for me over the years. The bar-none most-accurate handgun I have ever fired was in 32 SWL--a borrowed Walther GSP-C wadcutter gun. Assemble Hornady HBWCs with enough WW-231 to prompt 700-725 FPS, and that pistol would cut chrysanthemums at 25 yards. (This was when my handgun skills were VERY sharp). The most accurate revolver I own is a S&W Model 16-4 x 6" in 32 H&R Mag. The aforementioned RCBS 32-98-SWC is superbly accurate from 700-1200 FPS, any powder/primer, Federal or Starline brass. It just plain flat-out SHOOTS.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Buy 'em from Starline is my advice. They make really precision brass and made a run of .32 S&W after I asked for it, they usually have .32 S&W long. They're a solid family owned business and supporters of our Military and Veterans.

Boolit Grand Master
    Starline has become my go-to brass make, and as time goes on it is replacing my brass inventory that I have on hand. VERY GOOD STUFF.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

AL;
    I had to smile reading your posts above. They so nearly parallel my preferences that they bring a smile on my face.

I lusted after a K-32 for years. I was always behind the price curve. Smith made so few, that the ones on the market were pricey collector items. At any rate, when the Model 16-4 hit the market I jumped all over the first one in this area. Mine is a 6". Federal made the only .32 H&R Mag brass, but quit selling components to reloaders just before I got my 16-4. You had to buy factory ammo and save the brass. However, Federal brass for that caliber was absolute junk! Upon the first firing of the factory stuff, I would lose several cases to mouth cracks. Then, every time I loaded and fired I would lose several more to each box. A commercial loader friend came to my rescue. He had literally BARRELS of .32 S&W Long once fired cases. I thought it worth a trial. He sent me a barrel of the brass to take home and sort, so I could end up with all the same brass. Then, I just paid a friendly price for what I took. The .32 S&W long brass lasted nearly forever! Further, the loads shot well in my revolver (well under 1" at 25 yards).

Later, I got advance notice from Starline that they were planning on producing some .32 H&R brass. I immediately called them, placed an order (including a thosand cases for my shooting buddy who didn't even know he was buying a thousand (:>)). The Starline brass was absolutely top grade. I have been a Starline fan ever since. Further, I recommend their brass to anyone who might listen. It is THAT good!

Back to topic:
    My most shot loads are at the level of choice for edible small game. Bushels of cottontails, snowshoe rabbits, and squirrels have fallen to my .32's. The .32's along with comparable loads in .38 Specials are tailor made for edible small game. Using a proper flat nose bullet (the RCBS 98 gr SWC is my choice also). I recently bought an NOE mold for this bullet to increase my production, etc.

I am planning to gift my young grandson a .32 Mag Ruger SP101 with 4" barrel and a Red Dot sight for HIS small game adventures in the coming years. His loads will be similar to Al's and mine. He will be using Starline brass, also.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    It is interesting how like-minded folks on similar paths end up at the same destination.

I was more fortunate with the lot of Federal 32 Magnum brass I bought as loaded ammo in the mid-1980s. I still have at least 80% of the 250 cases I started with. 500 more from Starline kept me shooting in good order through The Great Ammo Shortage, such that I didn't really miss the absent rimfire ammo. I have no idea how many loadings that remaining Federal brass has had--"many" would sum it up accurately.

32 S&W Long brass shot VERY well from the S&W Model 16-4, too. I did get tired of cleaning the crud rings out of cylinder charge holes that form using short brass longer chambers--but performance was fine.

Boolit Master
    About a decade ago I bought 1k of Lapua 32 SWL cases. I don’t recall the price but I remember it as being “expensive” to me. The cost really doesn’t matter now, but I have what’ll be a lifetime supply of really great brass. I think I’ve only lost 2 cases so far and those were my errors at the press. 32 SWL brass just keeps going and going and going...

Half the fun for me with the caliber is running the antique S&W Hand Ejectors. They are built like a Swiss watch (Millennials, sorry for the reference, it means superb). There’s just a great satisfaction in using those tiny I Frames to reach out and make tiny groups, hit tiny rocks, using tiny amounts of powder. They are a great play. After a few hundred rounds there’s still a smile on my face. So much more civilized than my Casull.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Great article should you be starting out in the .32 arena.... http://www.lasc.us/FryxellThe32S-WLong.htm
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I recently got into 32 S&W's and now have a Model 31-1 with a 3" barrel that I put a set of Pacmeyer grips and Just got a 6" Hand ejector. I must admit it looks a little odd with that long barrel on the little I frame. Can you get J frame round butt grips to work on the I frame? I know the little gun can shoot but I have a hard time holding those tiny grips. Plus they are the hard rubber in great shape and I would hate to damage them. I have been using a RCBS waddcutter and the Lee 90 grain TL that I just size and lube to .313. Both work but I'm looking for the RCBS 98 gr SWC that I keep hearing works so well. If anyone has one that they want to unload give me a PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Dave View Post
    I recently got into 32 S&W's and now have a Model 31-1 with a 3" barrel that I put a set of Pacmeyer grips and Just got a 6" Hand ejector. I must admit it looks a little odd with that long barrel on the little I frame. Can you get J frame round butt grips to work on the I frame? I know the little gun can shoot but I have a hard time holding those tiny grips. Plus they are the hard rubber in great shape and I would hate to damage them. I have been using a RCBS waddcutter and the Lee 90 grain TL that I just size and lube to .313. Both work but I'm looking for the RCBS 98 gr SWC that I keep hearing works so well. If anyone has one that they want to unload give me a PM.
    I just last week installed a Pachmayr Gripper round-butt J-frame set on a 1933-made S&W Regulation Police example that came my way. The answer is YES, they will fit perfectly. This same set fit perfectly on a very early 1903 Hand Ejector x 6" that a collector talked me out of some years ago. I kept the Pachs and re-installed the OEM grips at time of sale.

Now if y'all want some real-time sticker shock.......take a look at what the asking prices are for S&W OEM stock sets on the sales sites. I am not about to sell mine off, but there is at least enough value in those stocks I have on hand to buy a Walther GSP-C with. Nuts--plain darn nuts.

Boolit Master
    Depending on the grips, you may need to adjust the 'locator' hole for the pin in the frame, but otherwise, yes, they fit fine and give a whole lot more to hang onto.

RCBS WC and Lee TL SWC are a decent place to start. The RCBS 98gn SWC is a great bullet as well, and has done well in most of my .32 long's. I find that the sights on most of the .32's want to regulate to a bullet under 100 grains, but if you don't mind aiming a bit low, the Lyman 3118/311008 has done very well for me in my S&W revolvers as well. If you manage to come across a Saeco 325, you might have some luck with that one too.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    What No-Zs said about the RCBS 32-98-SWC. I have shot THOUSANDS of these castings over the years in 32 SWL, 32 H&R Mag, and now 327 Federal. 700-1200 FPS, accurate and decisive on small game and varmints. I didn't much miss the unobtainium 22 LR ammo during The Great Flipper Shortage not so long ago, largely due to the 32s and the RCBS SWC.

Just ran across this thread, and I don't know how long the sale will last, but $4.79/50 for new .32 S&W L brass is pretty cheap. Ordered some yesterday.
    https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog...roductId/74097

Boolit Grand Master
    I currently own 4 I-frame revolvers in 32 S&W L as well as having responsibility for feeding the Model 30-1 I gifted my littlest niece. The 500 or so pieces of good brass I had at my “peak” have suffered some attrition and I’m currently having a recreation of the Model 16-3 built as well. Since my buddy Dale53 can’t dip again into that mystical barrel for me, I guess an order to Starline is in the cards. I feel good about the prospects there... all of the brass I’ve previously ordered from them has been excellent, and this caliber is one of their most reasonably priced. Now if I can just get a Star or Dillon progressive press set up to load them...

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie;
    I just took delivery of 500 new Starline .32 Mag cases for my grandson in Salt Lake City. I will load them today at top end S&W Long levels for range and small game use. Only the .38 Special rivals the flat out practicality of the .32’s for “Real World” use for most of us. Slap a good home cast bullet to either of those calibers and you are set for a lifetime of shooting pleasure!

FWIW,
    Dale53

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast