Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication

Thread: mosin nagant front sight

mosin nagant front sight

are the front sight pins threaded? my 91-30 is shooting 4-6" high, and I was wondering if I could back the sight out, raising it, if it is threaded, please help-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Years ago I had one shooting high..took a piece of very thin black plastic tubing...cut a piece off and just shoved it on the sight post so it make the post "longer"...kept "trimming" until it was the right height to bring the rifle on target....cost about a nickel...time about 3 minutes...worked perfectly...

Boolit Master
    The front sight is not threaded, it is a pin that is bigger at the bottom. You should be able to remove the sight and drive it out from the top. A larger one can be made from something like a finish nail. Just make it too high and file to suit.

Dave

opos,I have been trying that, whith wiring insulation, haven't had much luck as far as finding something that fits snug, but still slips on.beemer, thankyou for that tip, I will save that as a last resort though,now is there a certain direction to push the sight towards when taking it off?just a though, after the post is removed, the hole could be threaded to make putting different length posts in when dealing with different loads/boolit weights, then you would always be able to leave the sight at the 100 meter mark- thanks again to both of you, it is so close to deer season I am just gonna use my sks, she is shooting dead on with j-words(soft points) I know, I know. it is my shame to bear!

Boolit Buddy
    here are some replacement sights that are affordable plus other parts for the mosin
    http://www.smith-sights.com/
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master
    Heat shrink tubing. Slip it on, shrink it, trim it to length.
    Back in the land of boolits.

I did opos's trick with the wire insulation, then put just a dab of white out on the top to make the contrast easier to see. Took a little trial and error, and once it was right stuck it in place with a little hot melt glue.

Between that and getting bullets big enough to make that girl happy eventually she was shooting respectable groups.

Boolit Master
    I took one of my MN's front sights and drilled and tapped it I think to a 6/32 or 8/32 allen head set screw.
    It was threaded in from the bottom of the sight and the threaded portion that was in the front sight ring was turned down in my poor mans lathe to remove the threads.
    You had to remove the front sight to screw the sight up or down, but it was nice to use on different rifles to see what height sight that rifle would require.
    Now that sight was made for the M44, or M53's but I think you could do the same thing with a 91-30 front sight

cool, thanks for all the tips. I think those sights at smithsights are really nice, and they are reasonable, I think I might go for one of those! but for now, I am super confident with my SKS and it is sighted in and ready to go! I don't want to have to think about aiming 6" low if I have a snap shot on a deer, so I will work on the mosin after deer season, for us it starts Saturday! wish me luck, thanks again,-Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    cool, thanks for all the tips. I think those sights at smithsights are really nice, and they are reasonable, I think I might go for one of those! but for now, I am super confident with my SKS and it is sighted in and ready to go! I don't want to have to think about aiming 6" low if I have a snap shot on a deer, so I will work on the mosin after deer season, for us it starts Saturday! wish me luck, thanks again,-Travis
    Hi Travis,

If you have any questions, please shoot me an email or PM here.

Regards,

Josh

oh cool, I will, by the way, do you make front SKS sights?

Rebel,

I'm sorry; I do not make SKS sights. I may start, but have been saying that for years. There are already SKS sights out there and so I've not made it a priority.

Regards,

Josh

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    The front sight is not threaded, it is a pin that is bigger at the bottom. You should be able to remove the sight and drive it out from the top. A larger one can be made from something like a finish nail. Just make it too high and file to suit.

Dave
    Hello,

Just a word of warning: About 25% of sights I encounter have the posts soldered in there so tightly that knocking them out is dang near impossible. I actually accomplished it a couple times on the tough ones, but part of the sight base went with the post.

Regards,

Josh

Boolit Master

You have gotten many good solutions for your problem, I thought I would add what I did to make mine work. I took an old ball point pen cartridge and cut a section and slipped over the sight and trimed on it until it was the right length then put it on with a tad of epoxy.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

I had the same problem, removed the original sight and replaced it with gas welding rod of the same diameter, I filed it so it was on at 100yds. It works great.