Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Distilled Water and a Leaf Blower

Distilled Water and a Leaf Blower

We have really hard water here in AZ, and it's very frustrating to see your wet tumbled brass end up with water spots.

I started doing a "final rinse" on my brass with a gallon of distilled water, and then hitting it with the leaf blower for a minute and everything is purdy like it should be now. It's well worth the 83 cents.

Not sure if I even need the leaf blower, but who doesn't like operating one?

Are you combining any kind of wash and wax for cars in the soap?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Yes, sir. I've used both Turtle and Armor-All brands. Turtle seems to be a bit better.

Boolit Master
    When using wash and wax for cars in the soap, do you rinse off all the wax and soap when the brass is clean? Or will the wax just stay on the brass?

If you don't rinse thoroughly, you'll ended up with discolored brass.

Boolit Master

Same problem where I live, hard water. Tried distilled water as well, it works but it is not necessary if you remove as much of the water quickly. Used a leaf blower as well a few times. I now use a bunch of micro fiber towels in a pillow case to get the brass as dry as I can get before drying the brass in a dehydrator.

My method for cleaning brass is to use Dawn & Lemishine for 2 hours. I then pour off the dirty water. Refill with clean water and add about 2oz of Armor all wash&wax. Tumble for 10 minutes and then rinse the brass in my Frankfort Arsenal media separator. (I found that the 10 minutes is enough time and that longer causes discoloration.) I then shake the brass vigorously to get as much of the free water off. Then the brass is pre-dried in the pillow case with micro fiber towels followed by 2 hours in the dehydrator.

Enough wax stays on the brass to slow down oxidation as well as adding some slickness. Without the wax more effort is needed when sizing pistol brass and hang-ups in powder through expanders occurs.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    I have fairly hard water also, an find that using lemishine helps!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie17 View Post
    I have fairly hard water also, an find that using lemishine helps!
    or citric acid (lemishine is mostly citric acid)

what I do to prevent water spots is after the wax/water is rinsed I run them through Wet/Dry Media Separator,
    dump them on a towel, cover with another towel and roll them between the towels then I grab both ends of the towel the brass is in
    creating a hammock and roll them back and forth a few times
    I then load them into my food dehydrator trays, put them in the dehydrator and dry them for a couple hours.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    . . . dump them on a towel, cover with another towel and roll them between the towels then I grab both ends of the towel the brass is in creating a hammock and roll them back and forth a few times . . .
    same here. the 'hammock method' really does get rid of most of the water. Do it about 10 times back and forth or more if I'm trying to kid myself that I'm getting a bit of upper body exercise out of this
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    Good ideas,what I did was take a board and hammer/set 140 finish nails in it. For my wet tumbler this is a nice fill for 223 to magnum brass case sizes. This gives me a count to keep track . I go through the wet SS pin process and then put them back on the board with pins. I then air blast them with compressed air removing excess water drops and then leave them to finish air drying. If I am in a bigger hurry I take a heat gun or hair dryer and hot air blow dry them . I get good results doing it this way and it is low tech as long as you have access to compressed air.

Boolit Master
    Pin tumble with wash n wax plus Lemishine.
    Lyman separator.
    Dump in a bucket with a towel on the bottom.
    Bounce for a few steps.
    Pour out on a towel on the garage floor and push them around until spread out a bit.
    Point a fan in their general direction and leave them overnight.

Have thought about a 5 gal bucket with some small holes in the bottom and a hole in the lid for a leaf blower, but haven’t tried it yet. Also considered a length of 4” PVC.

Boolit Master
    I have heard people use a rinse aid, like what you use in your dishwasher to help prevent marks on your dishes, could that help too?

Boolit Buddy
    I think Lemi Shine has that built into their mix!

Boolit Buddy
    Rinse and tumble out media using frankford separator. Next dry with a large micro fiber using the hammock method. Leave out on a different towel over night to dry. Pretty and ready to go to the appropriate bin next morning.
    Swaging. Keeping the 40's running for the price of .22's
    and .223 bullets for a fraction of a cent!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazza View Post
    I have heard people use a rinse aid, like what you use in your dishwasher to help prevent marks on your dishes, could that help too?
    I was topping my dishwasher off the other day with "finish" and got to wondering if that might help...

Boolit Buddy
    I learned this trick where I ignore water marks. I honestly believe that it takes the least amount of effort in dealing with that problem

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    or citric acid (lemishine is mostly citric acid)

what I do to prevent water spots is after the wax/water is rinsed I run them through Wet/Dry Media Separator,
    dump them on a towel, cover with another towel and roll them between the towels then I grab both ends of the towel the brass is in
    creating a hammock and roll them back and forth a few times
    I then load them into my food dehydrator trays, put them in the dehydrator and dry them for a couple hours.

I do much the same, a Citric acid rinse followed by distilled water, and into the food dehydrator

I have a Much better use for my Electric leaf blower. I IGNORE the leaves but have a blower in my shed that is the air source for "foundry burner" I'm building, I want to try my hand at casting Brass.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I had a thought here; Get a germination mat (used to warm young plants or to warm a wine-making carboy) and put that under a cookie sheet or the like full of brass; If you don't have a food dehydrator, that might speed up the drying quite a bit. For fastest results, I'm trying to figure out how to put all the brass cases mouth-up or mouth-down, so they stay there and dry faster with less spotting. Test tube rack maybe?

Boolit Master
    Final rinse your brass in 90% to 99% isopropyl alcohol.
    The alcohol absorbs residual water. From the alcohol roll the cases in a bath towel. Then stand in a loading block and place in front of a fan. The alcohol will flash dry and there will be no spotting.
    The alcohol can be used several times.
    EDG

I used to use my dehydrator, but found a hair dryer is much faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast