RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Anyone used a contender 30-30 on deer?

Boolit Master

Anyone used a contender 30-30 on deer?

Ive got an itch to go deer hunting with my contender. My 10" 30-30 barrel is s my most accurate shooter but I'm wondering how effective it will be on UP Michigan whitetails. I like to hunt in areas where my shots would be less than 80 yards and I'm sure I could put everything in less than 2" at that distance. I haven't chronographed any of my cast boolit loads but expect I am getting 1600 fps with my most accurate boolit. Anyone have any real world experience with the 30-30 pistol on deer?
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Don’t have actual real world Contender 30 30 experience, but based on much experience with a 16” Trapper carbine on Adirondack and Central NY whitetails up to 200 pounds you should have no problems using your perimeters. Don’t forget to show us some pictures of you success.

Boolit Master

Not a dirty 30 but I've taken lots of white tails with a 16" Contender in .35 Remington, one shot in the boiler room and they go down.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Years ago, but I shot several deer with a 10" Contender .30-30 with cast loads, wheelweights +2% tin alloy, #31141 and 24 grs. of RL7, did the job just fine within the ranges you are talking about.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Vendor Sponsor

Shot a big buck 2 years ago at about 70 yds with a MP 311-159 hp at about the same speed (1675 fps) in a 30 Herrett .. Same dia and near same speed so should be a near comparison
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Should work just fine for WTails. Last few years I have been carrying my super 14 in 7-30 waters. Have yet to shoot it in the woods yet. That's one dam big holster lol

Boolit Master
    I’ve taken a few hogs w my 14” .30-30 and the 311041, but not at full power. Actually, I’d be surprised if I was getting 1400fps, and it worked just fine. Your 10” will do just fine as long as the bullet hits the right spot. I actually tend to use my 10” .357 and 10” .44 much more than the 14” .30-30 just for the better balance, and usually shoot them at closer than you’re talking.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    Given the evidence I have seen in my terminal ballistics tests (40 yards into soaked, compressed phone books) of 30/30 boolits at a muzzle velocity of 1550 fps with a medium hardness alloy, you are good to go on any deer out to 150 yards. Just hit what you are shooting at.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    Ive got an itch to go deer hunting with my contender. My 10" 30-30 barrel is s my most accurate shooter but I'm wondering how effective it will be on UP Michigan whitetails. I like to hunt in areas where my shots would be less than 80 yards and I'm sure I could put everything in less than 2" at that distance. I haven't chronographed any of my cast boolit loads but expect I am getting 1600 fps with my most accurate boolit. Anyone have any real world experience with the 30-30 pistol on deer?
    Yes Sir I've used the 30-30 TC contender for deer, I'm trying my 357Maximum this year, I saw nine this morning and passed on two nice does I did draw a bead on two of them. I still have a lot of season to hunt. With the 30-30 heavy boolits are your friend,I used IMR 3031 ( I think) for practice I used IMR4227( less recoil)
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I'm a little tardy catching up on threads... life got in the way recently...
    I shot T/C 30/30 14" in IHMSA for several years using cast 165 grain slugs with great success with open sights out to 200 meters.
    A duplicate TC with a 2x scope has accounted for numerous critters and is equally effective as my Marlins on deer and pigs.
    Longest live critter shot has been maybe 80 yards, always from a solid rest.
    A high shoulder shot at the shoulder/spine junction has always resulted in a DRT event for deer and pigs.
    At 1850 FPS (+/-), I've used RCBS 165-SIL, Lyman 31141 170 gr., Ranch Dog 165 gr., or SAECO #316 at 160 grains, with no scope adjustments.
    All these bullet designs work fine on steel or live targets with proper placement.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Super Moderator

I have taken deer, antelope, coyotes, javelina, skunks, coons, squirrels, and prairie dogs with my scoped 14" 30-30 Contender. Not all were with cast, but most were. There's very, very little that it wont do with proper shot placement and proper loads. I'd sure love to take it hog hunting some day...never had the opportunity yet. I killed an elk with the same gun with the 7x30 Waters cartridge/barrel.

HAH!! ShooterAZ summed it up nicely... TC in 30/30 (or 7x30 Waters).... accurate enough prairie dogs, powerful enough for Elk.

Deer appear to be well covered.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Dont have a 30-30 , but I've killed one with my 10" 30 Herrett and that one dropped so fast it left hair floating in the air . 150 Sierras and shot was behind the shoulders . I would like to take one with cast in the Herrett , my shoots the 150 FN lee pretty good .
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28