Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: 310 Tool / Tru Line Jr. unknown trimmer....Please help any info is welcomed.

310 Tool / Tru Line Jr. unknown trimmer....Please help any info is welcomed.

Got this trimmer attachment in a deal last week... the part closest to the cutter measures .305 Im assuming it's for a .30 caliber round. I've never seen anything like this before.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_7916.jpg   IMG_1194.jpg   IMG_8216.jpg   53178183866__DA87AF06-58AF-4D6C-A4B7-B0FAC9E9C3B5.jpg   IMG_2801.jpg  

NRA LIFE MEMBER
    http://www.nra.com/
    CBA MEMBER

"PEACE THROUGH STRENGTH" RONALD REAGAN

Boolit Master
    I used 310 tools and the TruLine Jr during the 50's and early 60's but that's the first one of those of I've seen.I wasn't aware of a Lyman case trimmer from that era.I need to check some of my old Lyman manuals for it.

Boolit Master

Ideal made those, or they were marketed under that name..Yours has some parts missing, sort of a frame that holds case in cutter. You see them on fleabay 2 or 3 time a year.

Banned
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Figure 1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	207610

This what the complete tool looks like.
    Ken

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks Ken! I was all set to declare there was no such thing since I had never seen or heard of such a beast. Do you have a time frame for when they were made/available? Even that box label looks a little different from other Lyman era labels I’m familiar with.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Interesting! I've never seen one nor remember running across one at a gun show. Obviously they are out there so now have an idea of what to look for. Thanks Ken.

Banned
    I don't have an exact time but the mid 1950's till late 1960's would cover it. Two different box styles were used, this is the early one.

Ken

Boolit Master
    The Ideal Shell Trimmer was written up in the ARTCA Journal a couple years back. I’m away from my office and reference materials, and can’t remember details at this remove, but I seem to recall that the author of the piece tried the thing and came to the conclusion that if you really wanted to trim shells, the Lee hand tool was a much better value for much less money.

At the time, IIRC, Lyman was very reluctantly playing catch-up in an effort to modernize its line of reloading tools that compete with all the companies that were starting up after WWII. Smiley had a patent on the familiar hand-crank lathe-type trimmer, and whoever at Lyman who was assigned to evade the patent did not have Richard Lee’s ability to come up with a simple, affordable, workable design.

Boolit Grand Master
    The one Lee put in their “Precision Loader” was probably the best of the genre, and it was a lot simpler to use.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I checked some older Lyman manuals and saw a similar example of the complete trimmer except the handle was different.I believe it was shown in #39.It was not mentioned in the reloading instructions part of the manuals.

Boolit Master

I know, I know, I'm late to this but if anyone cares, said "Ideal Shell Trimmer" was shown in the 1954 and 1960 Shooter's Bible at a cost of $7.00. Yep! $7 in both. This one had the "L" handle. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Looks as if a "frame" could be easily fabricated. Looks to be a two part sliding frame locked in place by a set screw with a case of the correct length furnished for setting it up......if you're interested in restoring it./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....