Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Doesn't anyone sell lead anymore?

Boolit Buddy

Doesn't anyone sell lead anymore?

I used to see a lot of posts selling lead by the thousands of pounds, now i barely see anything for sale anymore. Every so often I see some brass which is cool. Whats going on these days?

I really want to buy some more lead but I am bit nervous since I recently had to complain to the post office about the carrier not delivering anything to my house that doesn't fit in the mailbox. After the manager had a talk with the mail carrier it looks like someone else is doing the route.

I recently ordered a rolling stand for my table saw, the thing only weighed about 40lbs. When the mail lady came by she gave my daughter who was on the way out the work one of those notices that I had to come to the post office because the box was too heavy. I called corporate and raised hell the next day and told them that i was not going to the post office to pick up any of my amazon packages anymore since amazon pays the post office millions of dollars to drop their customers package at their door. The manager ended up calling me and had someone else deliver the package to the door.

Now if I order some lead that weighs about 55lbs per box what do you think will happen this time, and I normally order a few boxes at a time.

Boolit Master
    As a caster, you are destined to be despised by your postman.

While in a perfect world your postman will be perfectly efficient and deliver your packages to your door, you can't count on it for lead, especially if your postman is smaller or female...

There is a requirement for mail carriers to be capable of lifting a certain amount. Precisely what the amount is, I don't know as I don't work for the USPS, but as MFRBs can weigh up to 60 pounds I think it's safe to say the requirement is in excess of 60 pounds.
    There is also no shortage of people who will take a job, knowing full well the requirements, and proceed to expend more energy trying to avoid performing their agreed-upon duties than they would if they'd just shut-up and do their job.

So it goes.

Boolit Master

Exclamation

I've always got my deliveries. For what it's worth, duke your letter carrier as Christmas is coming. I give my letter carrier $50. CASH, with a smile and a sincere Christmas greeting, in a Christmas card at Christmas time and it works wonders.
    Last edited by Buzzard II; 11-11-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master

the weight limit on FLAT RATE BOXES is #70 to your door; and the USPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. I make them bring it to my house as least. I do give the gal a cash gift at holiday time as well.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Just curious why you are posting this in the WTS/WTS section.

To your question about anybody selling lead anymore - the answer is yes - just look in this section that is intended for WTS, WTS and WTB postings and it is listed on a pretty regular basis.

You state you normally order a couple boxes at a time - so you must be able to find it. If not, then post a WTB and somebody will come along that can supply it.

While the PO is supposed to deliver to your house - perhaps where you live they are worried about a box sitting out and being stolen? If so, then I would much rather make a trip to the PO and pick a box up and not go through the hassle of having to make a claim on a stolen parcel - but then I don't live in a big city so can't relate to how far the PO is from your address.

I usually order lead that comes in a MFRB weighing in the 50 t0 60 pound range. I made arrangements with my PO a long time ago to have them put a note in my box that there was a heavy box and I would just go to the PO and pick it up myself. Yea, the carriers are supposed to be able to lift the boxes but I'll be darned if I am going to ask our female carrier to do it - but then I'm "old school".

Boolit Master
    Must be a local thing , I got those notices 2 times but no more . I pointed out that they were payed to deliver as my lead with no help from me came clear across the country and only when it came to my little post office did it get travel sickness . Round trip is 12 miles and my old truck is not paid for by the government so as the workers get paid to deliver I mentioned next stop would be postmaster general (it seems the problem ain"t no more) and I get to cast more and drive less . And the folks at the post office do not have to go to the gym

ADMIN

THE CAPTAIN is a VS on here and she sells a bunch of lead.

I have one problem with my mail carriers. The substitute can't seem to avoid my mail box. He hit it so hard that he broke the welds on the post and it fell.
    I had to pull the post and then go hammer out the paperbox so I could reweld it to the post.
    This time I welded the entire thing to the post. If he hits it hard enough to knock it off the post again he is gonna bend the post.
    I noticed last week that the paperbox had a dent and the post turned now in the hole.

Another problem is my mother in law lets the dogs out on the back porch. The puppy runs to the front yard and hangs out. The postal people will not come to the door if there is a dog loose in the yard so I get a slip every time.

I have a good mail guy, he will deliver most anything, last week it was 2K of brass.

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Buddy
    I love this response, this is exactly how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Must be a local thing , I got those notices 2 times but no more . I pointed out that they were payed to deliver as my lead with no help from me came clear across the country and only when it came to my little post office did it get travel sickness . Round trip is 12 miles and my old truck is not paid for by the government so as the workers get paid to deliver I mentioned next stop would be postmaster general (it seems the problem ain"t no more) and I get to cast more and drive less . And the folks at the post office do not have to go to the gym

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    My postal girl don't even try. She just leaves a slip and I have to drive into the post office (12 miles). It has been that way since the first box I ever bought. But the folks back at the loading dock at the post office all know my name. They'll bring it out to the truck when they see me pull up.

Send a PM to The Captain. She'll fix you up with lead. As many boxes as you need.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...highlight=lead
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

by the postal regulations and rules every post person is required to be able to deliver a med. flat rate box that weighs 70 lbs. or less if I get a notice that says I have to come and get the med. flat rate box I ask how much does it weigh if they say 70 or less I tell them the regulations say 70 or less they have to deliver it and they end up delivering it D Crockett

Boolit Master
    I guess some post offices are better than others. We don't get door delivery-- our post box is a ways down the road and too small for packages-- So I have to pick it all up. But-- I had a 20# package of bullets to pick up and warned the young lady that it would be heavy. She said "this is nothing-- ____ _____ reloads and gets #70 of lead in each shipment-- we take it out to his car with a hand truck"

Its better if you get the lead by UPS-- my UPS guy brings it right to the front door.

You can always buy lead or alloy from RotoMetals. Yes-- they are more expensive than what some people sell here, but the cost per bullet is still very, very, low, and their quality is excellent (and if you buy $99 worth they ship free by UPS-- right to your front door).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

L

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    There is a requirement for mail carriers to be capable of lifting a certain amount. Precisely what the amount is,.
    That changed years ago as USPS was under pressure from the White House to bring the workforce to 50% female through attrition. Once upon a time a mailman had to be capable of carrying a sack on his back weighing 80lbs. Later changed to 60lbs then dropped altogether.

Be reasonable, if your 110lb female carrier can't bring it to the door. Insist he/she makes an attempt to knock on your door and allow you to carry it in. If local USPS mgmt won't cooperate a call to a Senator or Congressmans office will bring a swift additude adjustment.

If you live in a rural area don't have a box large or strong enough to accommodate a large parcel. You might be stuck going to Post Office. Try "begging" mailman to get in his cell and calling you.

A five or ten dollar bill at Christmas time works wonders.
    Last edited by azrednek; 11-12-2017 at 01:00 AM.

I am in constant conflict with the letter carrier on other things. She told me I had to fill out an online "Package Pick-Up Request" if I wanted to leave something in our mail box. To get back at her I sold ten lots of 40# alloy in padded flat rate envelopes. I made sure she got one or more package in the mail box each day for a week. In the Pick-Up Request it gives you a choice of location Front Door. All packages that don't fit inside the mail box are picked up on the front door 28 paces including 14 stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by azrednek View Post
    That changed years ago as USPS was under pressure from the White House to bring the workforce to 50% female through attrition. Once upon a time a mailman had to be capable of carrying a sack on his back weighing 80lbs. Later changed to 60lbs then dropped altogether.

Be reasonable, if your 110lb female carrier can't bring it to the door. Insist he/she makes an attempt to knock on your door and allow you to carry it in. If local USPS mgmt won't cooperate a call to a Senator or Congressmans office will bring a swift additude adjustment.

If you live in a rural area don't have a box large or strong enough to accommodate a large parcel. You might be stuck going to Post Office. Try "begging" mailman to get in his cell and calling you.

A five or ten dollar bill at Christmas time works wonders.
    UPS seems to employ men for delivery drivers. I wonder why?

The USPS is going broke due to retirement funding requirements, 'they' say.

They are no longer able to accommodate the changing market place demands, I say. Hire persons able to handle the weight of the parcels, of get out of the parcel market. Pretty simple.

No one makes allowances for me at my workplace when it comes to lifting/carrying. I'll be dipped in **** before I'll make allowances for such at my home, to the USPS, who agreed to make the delivery for the price paid.

If you choose to give a gift to your mail carrier, then that is your business. BUT. I submit if you are doing so as an incentive to your carrier to perform the job he/she agreed to do then, you might as well be sending money to the oppressed players who refuse to stand for the anthem on Sunday. Because it's all a political ploy.

As the saying goes, 'DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO "TRY"'.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 11-12-2017 at 03:30 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My mail lady looks like she weighs 80 pounds soaking wet. Last delivery was 500 pounds . She rang the doorbell, backed up to the garage door and I helped her unload. Some at the POmare too lazy to do what they are getting paid to do.