Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Looking for an optic compatible 45-70, need your feedback

Boolit Buddy

Looking for an optic compatible 45-70, need your feedback

Hello gents,
    I'm looking for a 600 yd capable target single shot rifle. I belong to a gun club and I shoot 600 yds weekly. I also have solid handloading skills. I already own a 1885 TD but I can't shoot irons past 200 yds. I'm thinking a repro 1885 HW , Sharps in 45-70 as i'm already deeply vested into 45-70 reloading components. I'd like a rifle that I could shoot with peep / vernier sights out to say 300 yds max, then should I choose, add a full length period correct Hi-Lux type optic and get me to 600 yds. I can proficiently shoot 600 yds with a 2.5x scope (my 1903-A4 sniper ). So before plunking down my cash, I need your recommendations for a platform that can grow with my needs. I'd also consider a 45-90 if this would be a better caliber choice for midrange shooting. Thanks in advance !
    Last edited by Road_Clam; 11-12-2017 at 09:13 AM.

Boolit Master
    A .45-70 would fit the bill perfectly for midrange. I have a lot of these rifles and if I were to choose only one it would be a Shiloh #1 or Long Range Express with heavy barrel and a 23" MVA scope, likely with DZ Arms mounts. Not a cheap setup, but it's a sure thing as far as midrange accuracy goes.

Chris.

Any number of single shots in .45-70 can be adapted to scopes with very little effort or cost. The .45-70 is a great choice, but I'd steer clear of the Hi-Lux mounts. Their scopes aren't bad, butt the long range "Malcolm" style mount needed to get to 600 yds. wont hold up long to recoil. It's a flimsy mount and numerous people have had troubles with bending or breaking those mounts on caliber with much recoil. It only gets worse as it's elevated and the leverage is more under recoil.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If 600 yards is your maximum limit, the MVA B5 scope in the #2 unertl mounts will work just fine.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.