Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Front sights

Boolit Mold

Front sights

First off a big Thanks to all of you that have helped me with getting shooting this gun.Took it out and it performed well for me.Could ring the ram at 200 yards all day but I was wondering what preference you have for the inserts on the front sight at longer ranges.I currently have the globe with inserts and have been using the circle insert,kinda like a ghost ring.Put the sight on the target,gun goes bang and target swings.But what are you using for longer distances say 600+ for an insert? Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    a good set of rings sized to suit the aiming mark.
    plenty of white around the aiming mark is the goal.
    the aiming mark should appear about 1/3 of the hole size.
    this allows the brain to subconsciosly centre things up.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

They give you several so you can sit down and change them around until you find something that works for you. Because if it doesn't work for you it isn't any good.
    BTW, I use the Lee Shaver inserts because they're finer and cleaner cut. But I'm not going to tell you which one.
    One guy who shoots rams with the local group also shoots on a national level. His insert set up is interesting. He uses the circle, sized for the distance, plus .... yes, plus ..... the cross hairs.
    So experiment. Have fun, enjoy, and good shootin'

Boolit Master
    I prefer an aperture but size them just a little tighter than Bruce does. I use a 0.100" aperture for a 6 minute of angle target giving me about 2 minutes of angle of white around the bull. I would not go smaller than that though as too small makes for eye fatigue. I also like the size of the aperture "wire" to be about 0.040" thick. These numbers vary a lot per person and you'll have to try different ones to see what you like.

The most important thing is to not go too tight on the front aperture. This is a mistake many people make.

Chris.

Boolit Master
    You might want to consider setting up the front sight to shoot something closer in size to a chicken at 200. That's going to be the standard target at that distance. My own personal preference in the summer is the largest aperture I own. In winter I can use the smallest I own. It's an eye thing.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Front sight aperture on round or roundish shaped targets is what I prefer. Pick the aperture size for the light conditions , so that the target shows up well, and is easily centered in the aperture.
    For silhouette turkeys and rams, I have yet to find anything that I'm consistently comfortable with..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used a wide front post in the globe with a 6 o'clock hold both shillouettes and High Power service rifle. This works okay for me ( better on the bullseyes ) an insert that is slightly bigger than the target works again better on round targets than the shillouettes. The wide post is easily seen and is easy to center o an oval shaped target. I have one made that's four tapered points I'm going to try soon. the points are at 12:00 3:00 6:00 and 9:00 and the points are just shy of touching. It shows up good and may be useable.

On the appetures I like a minute to 2 mins ring of white around the bull for a couple reasons. 1) its easy to judge the ring as to even thickness and center. 2) it makes "favoring" for wind easier for me.

Experiment with different appetures on the targets and see what looks good and then shoot some to see what works for you. Not only appeture hoe size but also ring thickness. Don't try to make it a seeing contest but find an appeture that is easy to see and use on a target.

I also like the post with a 6 o-clock hold for the long range bulls eye shooting. I match the diameter of the post to match the black bull diameter. This helps me hold a good center. The eyes for me are changing and this makes me lower my 6 o-clock more to see more white below the bull but it's still working. Maybe this is because most of my shooting has been using barrel sights as well as post and aperture rear. Getting a good selection of post diameters is hard with the card you get when you order the front globe sights that are legal for the BPCR matches.
    For the silhouettes I need a round front aperture because I loose the post when the ground is dark. You do want to see a lot of white around the bull like mentioned above.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Silhouette Shaped Inserts for Sharps Style Sights

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.c...-style-sights/
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing older shooters used to do was a post as wide as the frame and hold centered on the frame and line of white under bull. The "frame" hold worked for them. I tried it a couple times and just didn't like the idea that wind was never "constant" as the change in targets wasn't always centered in the frame the same every time.