Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: light load for 357

Boolit Master

out of a S&W 686 -3 with a 6" barrel I bought it back in the early 90's shot it a few hundred times and put it away I just pulled it out of the safe last week with
    a new interest in it getting tired of picking up brass
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    this site has a lot of lite loads
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    this site has a lot of lite loads
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
    Thanks for the link I appreciate it

Moderator Emeritus

I was experimenting with weak 357 Mag loads, back when I first started casting...I don't remember the specifics, so I had to look it up in my books. I would have guessed, off the top of my head, that I used the Lee 358-125 RF boolit...but I would have been wrong, I used a Heavy SWC? I wonder why?

Anyway,
    here are the specifics: I used a NOE copy of the lyman 358429, that weighed 175gr with a alloy of 50% COWW and 50% Pure. I used 4.0 gr of Bullseye and my notes say they were about 800fps, shot in a 5" S&W Mod 27.

PS: with 4 gr Bullseye in a 357 case, watch very carefully, so you don't double or triple charge the case.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Thanks John for the reminder of a dubbel charge

Boolit Master
    Lee 158 gr pb boolits work well with 7gr true blue for a medium load in my win94 trapper.

Boolit Master
    Gonna try tomorrow afternoon or Wed. morning, but Thurs is now more likely, due to the weather forecast changes. This is our forecast as of right now.:
    -------

Tuesday - A slight chance of drizzle. Widespread fog, mainly before 9am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 47. South wind around 10 mph.

Tuesday Night - A 40 percent chance of rain before midnight. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 36. South southeast wind around 10 mph becoming west after midnight.

Wednesday - Mostly sunny, with a high near 40. Breezy, with a west northwest wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.

Wednesday Night - Partly cloudy, with a low around 24. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming northwest 5 to 10 mph after midnight.

Thursday - Partly sunny, with a high near 39. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southeast in the morning.

-------------
    Not going to do it if the wind can knock the chrony over, &/or it is gonna get wet, for obvious reasons. I will do it though, as soon as the weather & time allow. I will post the results, when I have them.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

No problem I'm in ILL have the same weather as you this week

Boolit Master

357 Mag TL 158gr. SWC Red Dot reduced loads test

Went out this afternoon, even though it was colder than I liked & I had no gloves to wear when shooting. Plain forgot them. It was overcast with a wind from 10-15 SE, so I went up into the woods a bit, to block it. I decided to start with the 4.1gr. loads first then work down. Bad thing was that I forgot to turn the START button on for the first shots, so that spread has only 2 entries. But what is there should give ya an idea anyway. The rest went pretty well. (I made up 7 rounds for the 4.1gr. & 6 rounds for the rest each. (31 total - one was supposed to be a test first to see how the Chrony worked at that temp. but as I said, I forgot to turn it on.))

There was one or two instances where the Chrony did not pick up a shot & I think there was 1 or 2 errors also. I would have to go look at the test results again, as I just scanned them quickly before I posted them here. The tests are below. You folks will have to draw your own conclusions from the data. I will draw mine.

The only thing I will say is they are definitely reduced loads with minimal recoil, as far as I am concerned. They may not be what you, or any others want, but they are reduced my missus & her hand issues & I am sharing for those who want to know about such loads and may be interested in trying them out themselves..

NOTE - Anyone who loads & shoots these loads is doing so, At Their Own Risk. I hold no responsibility to others who may try this sort of load range. It will be on the reloader that makes these loads & shoots them, if there is any issue.

Here is the test data from today:
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Set: 12
    Created: 16/11/17 16:15
    Description: 357M TL358-158gr SWC 4.1gr Red Dot
    Notes 1: Ruger LCR snubnose Win. SPM primer
    Notes 2: *I*cases
    Distance to Chrono(FT): 10.00
    Ballistic Coefficient: 1.000
    Bullet Weight(gr): 158.00
    Temp: 31 °F
    BP: 30.10 inHg
    Altitude: 0.00
    # FPS FT-LBS PF
    2 785 216.23 124.03
    1 790 218.99 124.82
    Average: 787.5 FPS
    SD: 3.5 FPS
    Min: 785 FPS
    Max: 790 FPS
    Spread: 5 FPS
    Shot/sec: 0.2
    True MV: 788 FPS
    Group Size (in): 0.00

--------------------------------------------
    Set: 13
    Created: 16/11/17 16:19
    Description: 357M TL358-158gr SWC 4.0gr Red Dot
    Notes 1: Ruger LCR snubnose Win. SPM primers
    Notes 2: *I* cartridges
    # FPS FT-LBS PF
    6 767 206.43 121.19
    5 775 210.75 122.45
    4 763 204.28 120.55
    3 795 221.77 125.61
    2 800 224.57 126.40
    1 781 214.03 123.40
    Average: 780.2 FPS
    SD: 14.9 FPS
    Min: 763 FPS
    Max: 800 FPS
    Spread: 37 FPS
    Shot/sec: 0.1
    True MV: 781 FPS

Set: 14
    Created: 16/11/17 16:22
    Description: 357M TL358-158gr SWC 3.9gr Red Dot
    Notes 1: Ruger LCR snubnose WIN SPM primers
    Notes 2: *I*cartridges
    # FPS FT-LBS PF
    5 718 180.89 113.44
    4 745 194.75 117.71
    3 698 170.96 110.28
    2 689 166.58 108.86
    1 776 211.30 122.61
    Average: 725.2 FPS
    SD: 35.6 FPS
    Min: 689 FPS
    Max: 776 FPS
    Spread: 87 FPS
    True MV: 726 FPS

[1 shot did not register at all out of the 6 in this set. I do not know why.]
    Set: 15
    Created: 16/11/17 16:24
    Description: 357M TL358-158gr SWC 3.8gr Red Dot
    Notes 2: *I*cartridges
    # FPS FT-LBS PF
    6 740 192.15 116.92
    5 687 165.61 108.55
    4 758 201.61 119.76
    3 679 161.78 107.28
    2 671 157.99 106.02
    1 770 208.04 121.66
    Average: 717.5 FPS
    SD: 43.5 FPS
    Min: 671 FPS
    Max: 770 FPS
    Spread: 99 FPS
    True MV: 718 FPS

Set: 16
    Created: 16/11/17 16:27
    Description: 357 mag TL358-158gr SWC 3.7gr. Red Dot
    Notes 2: *I* cartridges
    # FPS FT-LBS PF
    4 658 151.92 103.96
    3 688 166.09 108.70
    2 ERROR 3
    1 742 193.19 117.24
    Average: 696.0 FPS
    SD: 42.6 FPS
    Min: 658 FPS
    Max: 742 FPS
    Spread: 84 FPS
    Shot/sec: 0.0
    True MV: 697 FPS

[2 shots did not register at all out of the 6 in this set. I do not know why.]

I will mention that I bolded the best SD( Standard Deviation) in test #13(2nd test run). It is the best of the lot for SD reading. I will have to retry the 4.1gr in test #12(1st test run) to see where that one is, sometime in the future.

BTW,... I am very particular when doing these tests & load these individually & double check the amount of powder to prevent overcharge, plus I seat & crimp the bullet immediately to prevent double or even triple load overcharges. The volume of these loads is very small, compared to the total volume of a 357 mag case. It would be quite easy to overcharge if one gets distracted.

I warn anyone who does load up these loads to use extreme caution when doing so. If you are using other than a single stage press, like I did, one bullet/boolit at a time, then I will also mention that I think even more caution may be in order that one does not get distracted during the time loading the powder to prevent an over powder limit. Although I would think that since you are seating right after the powder drop step, it may not be a problem, but if one gets distracted at the time of throwing the powder for some reason & double charges before seating there is likely gonna be some issue(s)...
    The doubling of even the minimum I used, will be over Max. for that Red Dot powder & the 158gr weight boolit I used.

G'Luck to ya! Be safe!

------------------------------------
    P.S.- I do not shoot for accuracy when using the chrony. I do not want to think about that part of my testing, as I do not want to hit the chrony. So, I make a run of the 2 sets that have the best SD & then test them again at a later time for accuracy. That is how "I" do things... YMMV... In case anyone wonders...The area covered on this target was about the size of my hand with one in the 3" Bull & the others to the left. The target was at approx. 15 - 20 yds away from my sandbagged "tripod". I was concentrating on being in the center of the chrony more than on the target. Using a snubnose and not concentrating on the Bull I thought it was just fine. Once again, YMMV.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-17-2017 at 02:07 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Master
    Double post, see # 32
    Last edited by P Flados; 11-17-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    With a big case and a small dose of Red Dot you get a high percentage of empty space.

In addition to thinking about low SD, you probably need to think about powder position.

I ran tests on both Promo (lower cost version of Red Dot), and a powder that was promoted as consistent regardless of powder position.

With 2.8 gr of Promo behind a Lee 110 RN in a "extra low recoil" 38 special load fired out of a 3 inch LCRx, I got a 22% increase (636 fps vs 519 fps) in velocity with "barrel tipped up" just prior to firing as compared to "barrel tipped down".

The other powder, TightGroup, was actually a little worse with a 24% increase (683 fps vs 55 fps with 2.5 grs of powder).

I did similar testing in a 4.2 inch SP-101 in 327 where I got similar results.

Surprisingly, these loads all shoot pretty good with no vertical stringing even when I make no effort at getting a consistent powder position.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I agree that powder position can play a part. Good that ya mentioned it.

When I was testing, I was sitting down with the test rounds to my left on the ground & the Iphone for the data readings sitting on an ammo can to my right. The revolver was loaded pointing down at the ground & brought up to level at the sandbag (chest high while sitting). So I would be starting in a powder Fwd(boolit end) position, due to the handgun pointing first down while loading, then brought to level as I set on the sandbags. Once lined up thru chrony & on target, as I shoot I try to keep positioned on the sandbag without lifting or lowering the firearm. Thus, it is likely that the powder is "jolted" by the recoil & does not stay at Fwd(boolit end) position but migrates towards center. In these tests I did not ever point the firearm up, so there should be no reading from powder in the Rear(primer end) position.

Most of the time I practice shooting, I am coming from lower holster(hip) out to low ready or pointing to the target to shoot. Muzzle starts down, then transitioning to level coming up to target. With a shoulder holster,then out & either to a low ready or transition to level to shoot. Both keep the muzzle down & then progress to level. Rarely going to high ready, then back to level to shot. So the powder is likely going to be Fwd or migrating towards level. Even on a reload, this situation usually remains the same.

I am not sure how many folks use the high ready to go to level to shoot, and there are times I think it is appropriate depending on what someone is doing( "covering" & "moving" for example(s)). But, I am thinking that most folks use their firearm with muzzle pointing down, then bringing it up to level to shoot, so IMO, the tests having the powder Fwd to level is more likely to be translated to "real life", than powder to Rear to level. Of course I may be wrong, but that is how I see it right now.

I would agree that it would make a more complete testing series to test with muzzle down and muzzle up both, and even keeping level if someone wanted to try it, but for these tests it was basically muzzle down to level.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    You could always add a little bit of kapok or dacron to these if powder positioning is critical (I do that in reduced rifle loads used for small game etc.) - Just a thought

Boolit Master
    My post was really intended to be more along the lines of:

1. When using a chrono, care is needed in regard to powder position. Just one slip up with a gun repositioning can shift powder and cause that round to be 100 fps or more "out of the group".

2. You probably should test at least a few with both powder forward, and powder to the rear.

3. You prbobably should do some offhand testing to see if changing powder position causes vertical stringing.

FYI, I have tried filler a couple of times. It just never seem to improve accuracy at all for any of my guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    You could always add a little bit of kapok or dacron to these if powder positioning is critical (I do that in reduced rifle loads used for small game etc.) - Just a thought
    I have considered that & may do some testing for that in all of the loads I have tested for reduced loads in Red Dot, but I must locate a source for the filler. Even Cream of Wheat has crossed my mind with a paperthin "wad of cigaratte paper to hold them separate & avoid mixing has been thought about. I will do mor research before I go into that sort of testing.

Thanks for the mention of fillers though!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-17-2017 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Speeling <<< LOL

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    My post was really intended to be more along the lines of:

1. When using a chrono, care is needed in regard to powder position. Just one slip up with a gun repositioning can shift powder and cause that round to be 100 fps or more "out of the group".

2. You probably should test at least a few with both powder forward, and powder to the rear.

3. You prbobably should do some offhand testing to see if changing powder position causes vertical stringing.

FYI, I have tried filler a couple of times. It just never seem to improve accuracy at all for any of my guns.
    Points taken & Thanks! Although I do not think I had that much variance between shots(100fps) there was a bit of variance that I noted in review of the data. I do not have an explanation for that variance for sure, since I reloaded these carefully one at a time with no changes other than powder load amounts. I test in .1 gr. not .2 & I triple checked the powder weights each load. They were all crimped the same, and the cases were all the same once fired *I* brass.The only thing that I did not weigh was the boolits I used, but that difference should not have much effect on the tests, and I am pretty sure they were close enough each to the 158gr weight. I weighed 5 of them for comparison before starting just in curiosity with little difference in weight, & they all came from the same date of cast & same lead lot.

BTW...I do know that it was only about 31 deg. F outside & that may have been a factor, but the rounds & revolver were all exposed to the same ambient temp. so I do not think that would be a factor to change anything in regard to variance between shots

Maybe on Monday if I have time, I will run some re-tests.... It is supposed to be in the upper 40's, but the forecast can change. Otherwise, I will be likely not to do anymore testing until next Spring. I will keep your points in mind if I do go out & try to do a series with both pointing up & pointing down first. I still think the powder will migrate , so I will have to test 3 times I think. With one test shaking the powder /handgun before each shot to spread the powder along the bottom of the case. That way, all of the positions should be accounted for.

I will do these tests just for the sake of testing, as the loads are within what "I" was looking for in regard to the missus hand issues & besides,they have shown thus far to not be within the parameter of 900 fps that the OP was searching for earlier, so the tests would be for my own use unless someone else is interested. I have not seen anyone say that they are, so I will likely keep the result for myself for future reference.

Thanks again for your suggestions..

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Dacron filler - Buy at fabric stores. Kapok - Get at the usual suspect auction place or the like. Not too hard to get

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Dacron filler - Buy at fabric stores. Kapok - Get at the usual suspect auction place or the like. Not too hard to get
    Thanks! The missus likes to sew things, so I will ask her to get some Dacron for me. I hope there are not different type of it. That will complicate things.. If I get some, I will try it.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

I think they just make different thicknesses of the woven batting on Dacron, thinner ones for warm quilts and the far thicker ones for Arctic conditions Kapok is a natural fiber, I bought about a cubic foot off yon auction place for something under $10, I am guessing that will last me a LONG time COW would raise pressures more, if you use it (I use it for fire forming though) where Dacron or Kapok just position the powder and are nearly weightless, in case anyone hasn't used those. Still in organization mode, close to starting some working up test loads soon - Looking forwards to it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12