WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light load for 357

Boolit Master

light load for 357

I'm looking for a light 357 load just a target load and trying to keep the noise level down and no I do not want to use 38 brass if possible would like to
    stay under 900 FPS
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    I have some 357 that I loaded light with Red Dot for the missus to shoot with her hand issues. I also tested I was in the middle of testing them & had to leave before finishing the .357 tests, and as I forgot the chrony on that trip, I do not have that data, but I am pretty sure they are below 900fps.

The 38 loads were most accurate at 2.2, 2.5 gr. Red Dot with both 147gr. WCs & then were most accurate at 2.5 & 2.9gr. Red Dot with 158gr SWCs, IIRC. ( I am not down in the reloading room so I am just going off the top of my head, but will check when I go down there later & correct here if I am mistaken for some reason. Might be the other way around, but I know that 2.5gr is the load I think will be the one I use from now on for the missus.) These were shot off sandbags on a homemade tripod, at 15 yds, as I do not have a "bench" where I shoot.

I will try to finish testing the 38 & the 357s & use the chrony this up coming week, if I get the time. I will post the .357 load data here with the chrony data as well, if ya want me to do so for you.

G'Luck!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-11-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: forgot a decimal point.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

2.7 grs of Bullseye.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

Any 38 special and add 10%

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I have some 357 that I loaded light with Red Dot for the missus to shoot with her hand issues. I also tested I was in the middle of testing them & had to leave before finishing the .357 tests, and as I forgot the chrony on that trip, I do not have that data, but I am pretty sure they are below 900fps.

The 38 loads were most accurate at 2.2, 2.5 gr. Red Dot with both 147gr. WCs & then were most accurate at 2.5 & 2.9gr. Red Dot with 158gr SWCs, IIRC. ( I am not down in the reloading room so I am just going off the top of my head, but will check when I go down there later & correct here if I am mistaken for some reason. Might be the other way around, but I know that 2.5gr is the load I think will be the one I use from now on for the missus.) These were shot off sandbags on a homemade tripod, at 15 yds, as I do not have a "bench" where I shoot.

I will try to finish testing the 38 & the 357s & use the chrony this up coming week, if I get the time. I will post the .357 load data here with the chrony data as well, if ya want me to do so for you.

G'Luck!
    That would be Awesome if you would I did stock up on red dot and Bullseye thanks All

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    That would be Awesome if you would I did stock up on red dot and Bullseye thanks All
    Sure. I was going to do it anyway. BTW, if ya did not know, Red Dot data is about the same as Bullseye & 700X also. So if ya have those powders, they should be good to use also with the numbers I am using. I just went and looked at the .357mag handgun loads in the 49th Lymans & BE is shown to run around 4.8gr. min to 7.0gr max. for 155gr. linotype. and 160 gr is 4.9-6.9gr. (both of which are close enough to 158gr. SWC, but I am using the lesser powder amount for my calculations for reduced loads for safety reasons.)
    4.6-7.0gr. for 150(close enough to 148gr) linotype for my WCs., so I can use those same numbers for my calculations also.

The loads I made up were 3.7 through 4.1gr. (approx 20% up to 10% of min. load of 4.6) for BE with those 148gr. WCs & the 158gr. SWCs. thus Red Dot would be about the same..

Just so ya know I am doing these experiments with a lot of different calibers using Red Dot. .380/9mm/38sp./357mag/44mag & 45ACP just so the missus can shoot any she wants without issue. Can't say they "bark" any less, but they do not kick all that bad in our estimation. She can shoot full loads, but she won't shoot as much unless I reduce the loads for her. I like her going along, so I am trying to help her out. "It is to both our advantage for me to do this reduced loads stuff", is what I am saying. LOL Plus, Red Dot is relatively less expensive than some other powders right now for me where I get it, and ya don't use much, so I like that too.

Anyway, I will try to do the testing of the 357 this week if I can. Weather & some possible other things are the main factors. I will post the results though since ya said you would like to see them. I use a Cladwell so it keeps track of the info for me & I can just copy/paste to here. ( This data is for some 9mm experiments for another member here, but it is an example of the data I shared there and the data for the 357 test will look about the same in format.: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4187098 . You can go look if ya like & see how the data looks there if ya want to do it.)

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

I use 3.4 grains of 700x with a 158 grain bullet in 38 brass. Hodgdon lists that as a max powder charge in 38 cases and a minimum powder charge in 357 cases.

Boolit Mold
    Don't forget Trail Boss.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSCHLOPER View Post
    Don't forget Trail Boss.
    Don't think I would reduce those loads though, getting pretty small in amounts for that case volume & it may cause issues. Not sure & I don't use TBoss, but it sure is an economical powder for that caliber. Thanks for sharing the suggestion, BTW. I have not seen it around the stores I check, but I think I may order somenext time I make a primer/powder order, just to check it out.

Here is the data from hodgdon themselves, and the link to go check is below.:

BULLET WEIGHT
    158 GR. CAST LSWC
    Starting Loads Maximum Loads
    Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s)Pressure
    Trail Boss .357" 1.610" 3.2 754 16,500 CUP 4.2 865 20,400 CUP

Source: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    LuckyDawg,
    158 grain bullet over 4.0 grains Red Dot in 357 brass yielded very good results for me in the velocity range you mentioned. Below is data from my 19-3 6" Barrel:
    4.0 gr Red Dot average 823 fps
    4.5 gr Red Dot average 901 fps
    5.0 gr Red Dot average 978 fps
    If you want to use Bullseye instead, velocities will be similar for like charges. Under a 158 gr bullet, Bullseye is about 20 fps faster than Red Dot in 2" barrel, about 20 fps slower in 6" barrel, and very close to the same in 4" barrel, at least in my tests.
    Last edited by Low Budget Shooter; 11-25-2017 at 04:22 AM.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Boolit Master

Thank you all for your help I do appreciate it

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSCHLOPER View Post
    Don't forget Trail Boss.
    That was my thought as well.

Boolit Master
    4.0 grains of Titegroup with just about anything (I use it with 358156 SWC, 358140 SWC, Hornady 140 grain Cowboy bullets and a few others). They all run about 900 fps or just a little more with nice gentle recoil and fine accuracy.
    Hick: Iron sights!

3.5CLAYS or 4.5win231/HP38 with 125gr

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Any 38 special and add 10%
    OP doesn't say with what bullet(?). dannyd's answer is correct except I would add to use the Bullseye or Red Dot the OP is going to get. For years I've used 3 gr BE under 150 - 158 gr cast for such loads.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    OP doesn't say with what bullet(?). dannyd's answer is correct except I would add to use the Bullseye or Red Dot the OP is going to get. For years I've used 3 gr BE under 150 - 158 gr cast for such loads.
    yes i did forget to say what bullet I have a few boxes of some Copper Plated Bullets from X-Treme 158gr SWC that i wish to use in my 686 6" barrel a friend has a
    indoor range in his house so i don't need or want magnum speed or noise This is why I'm looking for a light load and yes i do have Bullseye / reddot
    thank you all for your suggestions the load of 4.5 / 5gr of reddot look about were i want to be

Boolit Master
    yes i did forget to say what bullet I have a few boxes of some Copper Plated Bullets from X-Treme 158gr SWC that i wish to use in my 686 6" barrel a friend has a
    indoor range in his house so i don't need or want magnum speed or noise This is why I'm looking for a light load and yes i do have Bullseye / reddot
    thank you all for your suggestions the load of 4.5 / 5gr of reddot look about were i want to be
    Glad that you have found what ya wanted & decided.

That range should put ya into the lower end of the suggested min. to max. spread from the Lyman 49th for cast in that weight range(155-160gr) & since you are using plated, at 4.5-5.0gr. R.Dot , I think you will be around 30-35% below min for a jacketed 158gr. (using the BE or RD), but still fine if you believe that plated is good at cast load min/max ranges.

I am still going to do the reduced loads I mentioned before, since I want them for the reason(s) I explained earlier.

G'Luck!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master

JBinMN pleases post your test results I would think that they should work for me as well using plated I'm intrested in your findings

Boolit Master
    Sure. Likely Wed. still, as I had planned. Look like the weather may cooperate. As long as it is not wet & windy or both. I will go then.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Master
    I'm looking for a light 357 load just a target load and trying to keep the noise level down and no I do not want to use 38 brass if possible would like to
    stay under 900 FPS
    900 fps in what length barrel?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast