WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Dose anyone have a pair 1 5/8" throw hammers for a shotgun?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Does anyone have a pair 1 5/8" throw hammers for a shotgun?

I have a project that has been collecting dust since I picked it up back around 00'. Its a Charles Daly 10 gauge side by side. It came with one missing hammer and the other brazed. I have been looking for hammers for this for a long time without an exact match. The 1 5/8" throw hammers I have run into aren't as curved...maybe it doesn't matter? Back in the early 00's I would go to the the local gun shows and there would be coffee cans full of this stuff...triggers, side plates, hammers. Just not the right one. I wish I would have bought some of the stuff since it was a couple of dollars at the most. I went to the gun show two years ago and found out the gentleman passes away that had all that stuff and it was tossed out. The closest thing I've run into are the reproduction hammers at Dixie Gunworks.

I am hoping someone might have a pair of hammers laying around in parts/junk pile that might be willing to part with them? Also the left side plate's screw snapped off in the hole so i am hoping someone might have a spare side plate or the guts so I don't have to drill and tap it. The number on the receiver is 396 and 96 on the hammer.

I'd really like to get this thing up and running so I can load up some brass black powder lead BB loads to call some coyotes in with and maybe a turkey to boot.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-11-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    About the best source I know is the following:

https://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalo...__Pinfire.html

I used the Hollis hammers for my 20ga Charles Daly. If they are insufficiently curved you may have to slightly reduce the fence around the top of the striker. I also had to reduce the hammer slightly under the spur, to prevent it from scoring the wood.

Here is another firm I haven't used, who seem about as good:

https://www.blackleyandson.com/acata...e_Hammers.html

Filing the square hole is tricky, as a loose fit will get looser. If I was doing it again I would get a square tool toolbit (eBay is full of them) and belt-sand it to a taper which can be tapped in to expand and smooth the hole. An S-shaped hammer in the soft condition can be slightly expanded or compressed.

Track of the Wolf have spare hammers for many of their locks, but they are for percussion, with a hollow hammer nose to catch fragments of the cap. This might be cut back to solid metal, or filled with weld, and in the latter case would provide the extra curvature you suggest.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/632
    am://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Category.aspx/632
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 11-13-2017 at 10:53 AM.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/popup_...30fbmkuotq9ml6

I found these for $45 each side. They look like they would work?

Nobody?