Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Does anyone use pewterware for eating...

Boolit Buddy

Does anyone use pewterware for eating...

or has always been a dust collector for wives and spinster aunts to look at on their days off?

I know we grab up the discarded cheap stuff for alloy but is there a practical use for things like plates and cups in a daily routine?

Boolit Master

reenactors use it at camps so they can be period correct.

Sorry I use Corelle. https://www.corelle.com/square-simpl...6.html#start=5
    Easy to keep clean, pretty easy to keep it from breaking. Interesting patterns. Currently eating off square plates just to be different.

Microwave safe which I bet Pewter is not.

I have a couple of pewter trophies that I drink out of, one holds a full 750 mL. Don't normally fill that one all the way, but I did have to see if it would hold the whole bottle just once.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Master
    I like drinking some beers from pewter tankards or cups.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master

I have some that I used from time to time. But most of what I get ends up in ingots.

Boolit Master
    So far, the pewter requisitioned by my wife and future daughter in law has been admired, acquired, stashed and stowed. None of it has been eaten off of or drunk out of, even by the original owners as best I can tell from the look of the pieces (though there may be future special occasions the matched mugs or wine goblets will be broken out for).
    Last edited by kevin c; 11-21-2017 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Tortured grammar

Banned

I have a pewter flask and when I was still working in the chem lab I put some whisky in it and let it sit overnight. I then took a sample back to the lab for (Pb) lead analysis and it was too high in lead content for me to want to drink any. I haven't melted the flask down yet because it sure is a nice piece. Must be pretty old. I do have it labeled in case of my untimely demise.

Don't EVER eat from or drink from pewter ware. Ancient Romans did, the Pilgims and other colonists did and look what happened to them. They are all DEAD. They ate peas and carrots too.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Wow. Modern pewter contains NO LEAD, and is safe to eat from. Quality pewter has been lead free for a long time.

I'm assuming the comment about Romans and pilgrims is a joke, since as far as I'm aware, everyone who lived hundreds of years ago is now dead, regardless of their pewter usage.

In case that was at all serious, The ancient Romans got their lead poisoning from lead acetate that came from boiling wine in lead vats to sweeten it. That's a little different than eating from pewter.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!