RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: .300 Blackout- TL312-160 or 312-155

Boolit Master

.300 Blackout- TL312-160 or 312-155

Anyone have experience with both of these bullets? I have a two cavity 312-155-2R mold and it works fine but I've toyed with the idea of buying a 6-cavity mold.

I have a cheap PSA AR in .300 BO, and it shoots fine. I bought it to kind of fill the roll of the M1 carbine, an inexpensive plinker that's fun to shoot. It seems to fill that roll well. It keeps the cast bullets inside about 2" @100yds. I'm powder coating them and sizing to .309" with gas check.

The 312-155-2R works fine. I'm just wondering how the TL312-160-2R works when powder coated. Do tumble lube style bullets work ok with powder coating?

Don't have either, but from my experience in pc and with loading 9mm,22tcm,.223 and recently 300aac, my only issue is nose diameter after pc. Grooves of any sort work fine, as long as you can open case up enough to not cut Boolits, they will be fine. The nose diameter is the issue. At least in my experience.

T/L works fine for PC. I got into the BO as I couldn't find a Marlin 357. I prefer a good 2x mould over the 6x Lee I had for RD 30cal. Didn't feel I could get good cast from both ends of the large mould. Plus the Al. used is - not the best. It looked like a poor Al. heat sink extrusion with holes in it. I did ~10# for the 308 in 2 hrs the other day, 2x mould, including filling the pot with sprue. My pistol moulds are 4x but I don't shoot that much pistol and definitely not 100 yds.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I've got a 1,2 and 6-cavity .312 155 PTGC. I've used 50/50 Alox, SPG, and powder coating with good results in the .300BO. Don't have data at hand, but using powder charges for jacketed and getting jacketed velocities with 2moa accuracy. ~(1,600-1,800fps)
    I'm mostly powder coating now, and have used gas checks. Next plan is to try some w/o gc's

Due to bad results with TL molds in 9mm, 10mm/.40 and .45, I recommend against the TL molds for any speeds over 800fps. The Lee TL molds are notorious for casting undersized. Powder coating is their salvation, SOMETIMES.

Boolit Master

As you noted the 312-155 works well in the 300BO. I don't think the 312-160 was available when I stared working with th 300BO but the 312-155 cast from a 6-cavity is what I use to feed my 300BO rifles. GC'd and lubed at .309" using a Star. Over RL-7 at 100% fill these run my standard AR-15 16" rifles just fine. Accurate, good functioning and clean.

I have also modified a 312-155 mold to have a flat point and these work even better through the Star as well the rifles. Nice in the 30-30 as well. Lee molds are economical and fun to tune or modify. Having a mini lathe and mini mill as part of my reloading tooling setup open up many possibilities and helps drain the discretionary funds well.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar