Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got tired of store sausage finally

Moderator Emeritus

Got tired of store sausage finally

Got tired of store bought breakfast and hot Italian sausage finally and bought 20 pounds of pork butt. AC Legs #10 for the breakfast, and same brand for the Hot Italian(and it has some heat!). Trimmed and deboned the pork Wed and mixed the cubed meat with the seasoning then stashed in the fridge overnight because my back had enough for the day(I had carried in 4 40 pound bags of wood pellets for heating the house...). Ground and vac bagged the Italian yesterday, and ground and pattied the breakfast sausage in 1/4 pound patties that were also vac bagged for the freezer. Fried a sample patty of both and so much more flavor than what the store bought has turned into! Back is hating on me for all the standing in one spot but I have enough for 6 months now!

To make my back really happy I packed 202 pounds of grass fed organic beef into the freezer today... and had a ribeye steak for supper! $3.39 a pound this year! And that price is cut, wrapped, and delivered to my front door!

Boolit Master
    Once you made your own sausage you never will buy it again. Pork butts have almost a perfect ratio of lean to fat (70/30) for sausage making. I pay attention to the local sales and can pick them up for $.99 a pound. Have 5 in the freezer as I type this. They are already vac sealed in a heavy duty plastic so they freeze well. Tons of recipes online so a person can go from mild to sweet to extra spicy or anywhere in between.
    East Tennessee

Moderator Emeritus

I broke down and bought a decent grinder finally. The Northern Tool 1hp one that goes on sale for $99. Added on a $20 off coupon so it was $79

Boolit Master
    We use pork butts to make our ground venison burger (70%deer-30%pork) usually but we have made it a little leaner sometimes & a little fattier sometimes but that is a close ratio for us. Sometimes we add spices to make our sausage too. But even though we have the stuffer, we rarely make it into links. It is kind of a pain in the butt, particularly if ya try to do it by yourself, so we just make patties most of the time.

We do make our own pork only sausage too, and we use just about any decent cut for it like butts. Lots of times we used those country style ribs for that too as they go on sale on occasion around here. It is cheaper & easier to grind our own & clean up the grinder than it is to buy the stuff already ground by the meat market or grocer. BTW, we just make up our own spices for italian and breakfast. We buy the spices in bulk and that is a savings also.

Also, your beef prices are about the same as ours. We just bought some in January & it was about the same, but we had to drive 20 miles round to get it when ready. Thats where my friends Virg & Mary (<no pun , that is their names. LOL ) took the last couple beeves to butcher. Known them for 20+ years and I help them most times with load ups, so the price is a bit cheaper than what is sold to others. These are "organic fed" Hereford cattle & actually have names like ,"Roast" & "T-bone" & "Chuck". All sorts of names like that, although there are a few that have names that describe their looks. Kind of fun for his grandchildren to name them anyway. LOL

Well, Glad to hear ya had a good time with your food "putting up" chores & had a nice steak to finish the day!

`P.S. - Hopefully my son or I or both can get a deer tomorrow, as it is the last day, or we are gonna be hard up for that sausage I mentioned this year... Gonna give it hell trying though.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-21-2017 at 09:16 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

+1 on the leggs.
    Have a half dozen "styles" fresh and cured I enjoy often.

Bologna is always at the top of the list.
    Throw some jalapeņo in the mix sometimes.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

We're sort of in the country,although "sprawl" is heading this way.

What's interesting,with just a hint of political correctness?.... there are grocery stores near the more upscale parts here,that don't seem to have the appetite for pork like us more rural folks.So,it's easy pickens to slide by these stores on the way outta town.Thursday,bout lunchtime is when those beautiful big honkin pork butts N roasts go on "red tag" sale.If you are"doin it right",catching a dbl red tag gets bonus points.

Mary,got 4 grown up boys.All real successful businessmen,yadayada.Bunch of bow hunters,lovers of life...all good.But it is an all out war on the grocery store red tag pork.Other species don't seem to carry the weight of pork on sale?But oh man,will the text messages start to fly when they get a deal at the food store.My wife of 35 years can't cook a pop tart....so,I was/am the exec chef.What's so interesting is,all my boys have the same outlook on cookery.

Great job on the sausage.Shopdog

Boolit Grand Master
    Made our first sausage yesterday. Yum was it good.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

More and more of the grocery store sausage is so full of chemicals these days(not talking any cure, the preservative ****) that I can taste a chemical aftertaste from them now. Plus god only knows what mystery meat goes into them! Using pork butt from my butcher I know I am getting good meat without the salt water injection the stores pump into it. Only 1 grocery store near me carries plain old pork with nothing added. And they seem to think fat is bad and trim it all off!

I needed a pork butt for the smoker last summer so I asked the store butcher for a whole one. He brings it out and before I could stop him he had most of the fat cap off. He was not happy when I told him I wanted it in the cryovac and he just ruined a pork butt and I can't use it. Then his boss walked in and asked what the problem was... yeah he is no longer employed there. Because I had told him I wanted it whole in the wrapper. Not trimmed to death. His boss is a huge fan of smoked ribs and pulled pork and knew me well. When I was doing my annual BBQ's I would buy $400 of meat at once.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    More and more of the grocery store sausage is so full of chemicals these days(not talking any cure, the preservative ****) that I can taste a chemical aftertaste from them now. Plus god only knows what mystery meat goes into them! Using pork butt from my butcher I know I am getting good meat without the salt water injection the stores pump into it. Only 1 grocery store near me carries plain old pork with nothing added. And they seem to think fat is bad and trim it all off!

I needed a pork butt for the smoker last summer so I asked the store butcher for a whole one. He brings it out and before I could stop him he had most of the fat cap off. He was not happy when I told him I wanted it in the cryovac and he just ruined a pork butt and I can't use it. Then his boss walked in and asked what the problem was... yeah he is no longer employed there. Because I had told him I wanted it whole in the wrapper. Not trimmed to death. His boss is a huge fan of smoked ribs and pulled pork and knew me well. When I was doing my annual BBQ's I would buy $400 of meat at once.
    I love homemade Italia suppresota!!!!

Made duck/pork hot Italian sausage on Saturday. Wife said it was a little to hot. I thought it could have been a little warmer.

Homemade sausage is the best. Makes store bought look a little sad and pathetic.

I also can’t stand the store bought sausage...without going into detail, I’m generally in the bathroom within minutes of consuming any mainstream breakfast sausage. And I don’t know just what exactly is wrapped around those breakfast links, but it looks like a contraceptive device. Disgusting.

I’ll be in the “grind your own” camp shortly.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Banned
    grind a home raised on dirt hog pork butt 50/50 with a white tail, seasoned for breakfast sausage and your talking some fine eats

Moderator Emeritus

My favorite use for venison is summer sausage, mixed 50/50 with beef chuck roll and if needed some extra beef suet ground for more fat(some chuck rolls can have a thick fat cap).

Banned
    We use pork butts to make Fleetch-key, my bohemian grandmother used to make for us.

Boolit Master

I did some a few months ago.

I didn't grind it fine enough and I'm still looking for the right breakfast sausage recipe. I'm looking for the flavor of the diner breakfast sausage in the northeast. All the recipes are spiced like the southern state varieties.

I even bought meat processing books from amazon trying to find something close. No luck yet.

Vendor Sponsor

Leggs #10 is what I use too! What did you use other than leggs in the Italian sausage? I -really- like that liquorice/fennel flavor that good Italian sausage has but can't ever seem to get mine to get that taste even if I use a lot of fennel.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Anise
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Banned

leggs or whits for me. Pork but is just about right. Is a bit lean and needs a tad bit of oil in the pan to cook but its FAR better tehn those store bought white fat rolls they call sausage today.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Leggs #10 is what I use too! What did you use other than leggs in the Italian sausage? I -really- like that liquorice/fennel flavor that good Italian sausage has but can't ever seem to get mine to get that taste even if I use a lot of fennel.
    Let the fennel seeds soak in some warm water for a while before including in the sausage mix. This has worked for me to get a better fennel taste into the meat. Add the water into the mix along with the seeds.

Boolit Master
    Anise/Aniseed works as well as Fennel, if ya have it. Same sort of "licorice" flavor. I have used both & still do. Most folks would not know the difference I would think, even though they are different plants. Many recipes for sausage I have read call for for aniseed, rather than fennel , but fennel is slightly cheaper I think & perhaps easier to find on store shelves.

Coriander is another spice I add to our sausage lots of the time. It, & the fennel I add with peppercorns & put them in a pepper grinder & use that to crush the seeds/corns to add to the mix. Another good one to know about.

Oldest son shot a nice 8 point buck on Sunday week ago around Noon. Butchered it up that night & next day wrapped & froze. Picked up some pork for grind yesterday & am grinding later today as a matter of fact. Looking forward to enjoying it.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast