Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to take a puppy from Mom?

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Unless some things changes, we get to bring her home Jan 2
    We are going to name Her Dixie

We are trying to come up with a middle name. So far

Dixie Lee
    Dixie Anne,(Ann) for my Grandmother who loved dogs.
    Feel free to chime in with Ideas.
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Dixie Galena , Dixie mold and Dixie cup come to mind.

I would say get to know her a bit, that may inform you of how to finish out her name. I think our standard pup Binka will end up with Little Monster as the rest of her name.

They socialize with the other pups, learn to be bite inhibited (no hard biting) generally most breeders will feed and potty on a schedule so longer that goes on the easier it should make your house training if you keep the same schedule. Children and pups can become more independent minded if "on their own" too young. However if the breeders doesn't also socialize the pups with humans during those formative weeks I think it can make it harder on the pup. Not only new environment, with no litter mates & no mom but who are these creatures that are grabbing me and talking at me, and giving me loud commands? Maybe younger is better to start the human/pup socialization at your home if it isn't happening at the breeder.

Dogs be individuals. Even standard schnauzer and miniature schnauzer show a different temperament in general but within a litter they can vary a whole lot.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I would say get to know her a bit, that may inform you of how to finish out her name. I think our standard pup Binka will end up with Little Monster as the rest of her name.

They socialize with the other pups, learn to be bite inhibited (no hard biting) generally most breeders will feed and potty on a schedule so longer that goes on the easier it should make your house training if you keep the same schedule. Children and pups can become more independent minded if "on their own" too young. However if the breeders doesn't also socialize the pups with humans during those formative weeks I think it can make it harder on the pup. Not only new environment, with no litter mates & no mom but who are these creatures that are grabbing me and talking at me, and giving me loud commands? Maybe younger is better to start the human/pup socialization at your home if it isn't happening at the breeder.

Dogs be individuals. Even standard schnauzer and miniature schnauzer show a different temperament in general but within a litter they can vary a whole lot.
    Sound wisdom in these words!

Boolit Buddy
    When we got Logan at eight weeks, after about a week he knew what door that meant (out). He is the pup in post three. Here he is now about three weeks ago at 7 1/2 months. In training.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Puppy was born Nov 1
    9 weeks is Jan 3
    Wait the 9 weeks. It'll be worth it. Looking forward to pictures.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Thanks to all that have chimed in.

The breeder has 45 plus years breeding only Miniature Schnauzers and some were Champions.

This will be our 3rd puppy from her. We have only Sherry now she is 3

There are 5 puppies 4 females and 1 male. We get 1st choice of puppies. She has the puppies and Mom in her bed room. They will get plenty of Human socialization and Dog socialization. We will go see the puppies every 2 weeks. Then on the Jan 2nd, we will pick our Dixie. We got to see them Sat but they weren't very active.

We will take her to a puppy socialization class. Then a training class at 3mo

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

The state of Wis. has a minimum 7 weeks/49 days to take a puppy home from a registered breeder. This is to limit puppy mills from selling puppies early so they can breed the brood bitches sooner, make more puppies quicker.

Richard A. Wolters wrote a series of training books for hunting dogs back in the 60's. Water dog was the one I got that helped me train my black lab. He said that get no dog that has stayed in the litter longer than 7 weeks. The pups in a litter longer than 49 days will have started to establish the pack hierarchy/pecking order already. The alpha male and female start to get them arranged down the order before 7 weeks, but it's still time to change their minds by 7 weeks.

Experienced breeders can spot what kind of pecking order has happened well before 7 weeks. The breeder I got my Golden puppy from supplies dogs to several service dog organizations, PTSD dogs, seeing eye dogs, and companion dogs for cerebral palsy kids. He can tell the top and bottom of the hierarchy, he wants the middle pups, he will sell the top and bottom for pets. I got the most alert one of 3 left for just such a sale, he is definitely the alpha male, while a very smart boy, he's stubborn and bone headed, but a typical lover like all Golden's I have met.
    Last edited by snuffy; 12-07-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Misspelled the author's name/ bad memory!
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Puppies at 3 weeks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0682.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	208362

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    I wondered about this when a friend of mine brought a rescue dog home. It was maybe 4-6 weeks old and has been very hard to train, chewed EVERYTHING for about 8 months.
    I don't know how old he was when the pound got him. I suspect a puppy mill was broken up and he may have only been 1-3 weeks at that time. Now at 11 months he's a nice playful dog but seems terrified of almost anything.
    Would these be symptoms of a dog that was taken too early?
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn’t think so, but would think it was just a matter of individual differences. My male was taken at 2.5weeks, and I raised him w lots of daily attention (got fired for not breaking the law the day after I got him, which turned out to be a huge blessing), and he only had to be shown things once or twice and learned. I’ve never had any problems with him chewing on anything he wasn’t allowed to or really any problems at all. My female I got when she was about 4 months, but she had received so very little training that she was a bit set in her ways. Now she didn’t quit chewing things til she was about a year and a half old. This matches everything I’ve seen with dogs I’ve had in the past and with dogs friends had. Some are just more stubborn and rebellious than others, but they’re all worth it.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I wondered about this when a friend of mine brought a rescue dog home. It was maybe 4-6 weeks old and has been very hard to train, chewed EVERYTHING for about 8 months.
    I don't know how old he was when the pound got him. I suspect a puppy mill was broken up and he may have only been 1-3 weeks at that time. Now at 11 months he's a nice playful dog but seems terrified of almost anything.
    Would these be symptoms of a dog that was taken too early?
    All pups will chew until they get all their teeth in. Best thing I found for a chew toy, is a limb about a foot long, cut from an apple or maple tree. Peel the bark, and give to the pup Both are sweet, and they will chew that in preference to anything else. Replace as needed.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post
    The state of Wis. has a minimum 7 weeks/49 days to take a puppy home from a registered breeder. This is to limit puppy mills from selling puppies early so they can breed the brood bitches sooner, make more puppies quicker.

John Wooters wrote a series of training books for hunting dogs back in the 60's. Water dog was the one I got that helped me train my black lab. He said that get no dog that has stayed in the litter longer than 7 weeks. The pups in a litter longer than 49 days will have started to establish the pack hierarchy/pecking order already. The alpha male and female start to get them arranged down the order before 7 weeks, but it's still time to change their minds by 7 weeks.

Experienced breeders can spot what kind of pecking order has happened well before 7 weeks. The breeder I got my Golden puppy from supplies dogs to several service dog organizations, PTSD dogs, seeing eye dogs, and companion dogs for cerebral palsy kids. He can tell the top and bottom of the hierarchy, he wants the middle pups, he will sell the top and bottom for pets. I got the most alert one of 3 left for just such a sale, he is definitely the alpha male, while a very smart boy, he's stubborn and bone headed, but a typical lover like all Goldens I have met.
    We will ask the breeder if she knows what the peaking order is every 2 weeks.
    Then try to take one of those in the middle.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy View Post

John Wooters wrote a series of training books for hunting dogs back in the 60's. Water dog was the one I got that helped me train my black lab. He said that get no dog that has stayed in the litter longer than 7 weeks. The pups in a litter longer than 49 days will have started to establish the pack hierarchy/pecking order already. The alpha male and female start to get them arranged down the order before 7 weeks, but it's still time to change their minds by 7 weeks.

Experienced breeders can spot what kind of pecking order has happened well before 7 weeks. The breeder I got my Golden puppy from supplies dogs to several service dog organizations, PTSD dogs, seeing eye dogs, and companion dogs for cerebral palsy kids. He can tell the top and bottom of the hierarchy, he wants the middle pups, he will sell the top and bottom for pets. I got the most alert one of 3 left for just such a sale, he is definitely the alpha male, while a very smart boy, he's stubborn and bone headed, but a typical lover like all Goldens I have met.
    something to that too. The last lab I got was the runt of the litter. He ended up being the largest dog of that litter when he grew up and was a very well behaved smart dog. I took the runt because it was my buddys bunch of puppys and he gave me one for free so I felt about aboligated to take the one that was least likely to get picked by buying customers. This last one we got was free too but only to me. Another buddy who owed me LOTs of favors bought him from his friends litter. he paid 300 buck for him which was about half what the owner was asking for them. Part of the half price deal they made before he was born was the owner got to pick which pup he got. He was a beautiful little guy with two flaws. First he had blue eyes that sometimes labs get as pups (they turn brown in a couple months but a lot of people don't believe there pure if they have them and he wanted it out of the litter before others saw) the other was he was the dominant pup in the litter and the biggest. He has been twice as much work as the first one for chewing, potty training, barking and jumping on people. Hes a smart dog maybe almost to smart sometimes. If I had to go in and pick another new pup today id look for the most passive one in the liter period. I wouldn't care about sex, looks ect. You love them no matter how perfect or inperfect they look. My dogs are house pets. family members. I don't raise them to breed or even to hunt or work so passive is the most important trait to me. bottom line is this ones finally settling down. He just turned one yesterday. told the wife if theres a next time its going to be the most passive dog out of a litter of mixed breed mongrels. Even pure breed dogs of any kind tend to be more high strung in my experiences. muts are usually the best behaved dogs. they even tend to be healthier and live longer. I do love my labs though and it would be tough after having one for the about the last 30 years to switch.

Boolit Master
    The most dominant dog will take the toy/food over to a corner and won't share or allow it to be taken without a bit of fuss or a bite. Always has to be on top in play. The most submissive will hide in the corner and not participate in activities. Will give up toys and not try to get them back. Always on the bottom in play. Both these dogs will grow to be biters one out of aggression and one out of fear. The fear biter is unpredictable.

The dogs in the middle will take the toy but don't mind sharing or seek out a person/littermate to play. They spend as much time on top as the bottom in play. If things don't go their way the content their self with something else.

The one in the middle that wants to play with you will be your friend to the end.

Boolit Buddy
    Logan 8 weeks and then 8 months

Boolit Master

Dixie Rose will be her name

Puppies at 5 weeksClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Puppy 5 weeks 2.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	209047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	puppy 5 weeks.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	209048

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

We got to spend almost 2 hours with Mom and her puppies.
    Fancy is a wonderful Mom and Dog.
    We held each puppy and Mom. Puppies aren't really active yet.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy
    You will find the puppy will pick you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    My dog who is a Belgian Melinouis. We got him at 8 weeks.

Wow nice looking pup
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast