Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

When to take a puppy from Mom?

So when do you take a puppy from Mom?

6 weeks
    7 weeks
    8 weeks
    9 weeks

We are getting a Miniature Schnauzer puppy.
    The breeder wants to wait for 9 weeks

I thought it was 7 or 8 weeks
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

the more time they spend with mom and the other puppy's the better imo. somewhere between 8 to 10wks is about right.

Boolit Buddy
    My dog who is a Belgian Melinouis. We got him at 8 weeks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I would say 9 to 10. We picked our youngest pup at 10 weeks!

Moderator Emeritus

I always read that at 7 weeks the pup was ready to sever old ties and bond with a new pack. I would be OK with 8 but not over that.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Puppy was born Nov 1
    9 weeks is Jan 3
    Last edited by DCP; 11-11-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: sssssssssssssssssssssssssss
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

With labs we always waited 12 weeks. Made them more socialized to pack life so they fit in better... and they seemed to learn faster than ones taken younger.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I'd give it the full 9.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

8-12 the dog will let you know, at 8 weeks the most independent of our last litter were spending more time exploring one there own and sleeping separate from the puppy pile,the type of attention mom gives them is also an indicator ,a 8weeks the pup we kept and the one sold to a friend got rougher treatment from mom,not mean just firmer and more packs mate not pup like and she'd let them have much less time on the teet.
    12 weeks won't hurt as long as a stable weening process is started.
    The flip side is to early and the pup is shocked and can be socially unsure and a weaker pack memener for life.
    We've found when they can go 3-5 hours without crying for mom/milk it's about time. At 7 weeks the most mature of our last batch would get a nip and stern bark when attempting to nurse;mom knew they had what it took to be on there own.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    49 days is the maximum before adopting. That is the point that they imprint on an individual. After that they will be harder to train.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

I'm more in the 6 maybe 7 week area too.
    you want the dog to be somewhat dependent on you for the first little bit.
    once you have that little bond then a trust is instilled in them and they are much easier to train.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    It is illegal to remove a puppy from its mom before 8 weeks here but vet says best to wait 12 weeks they socialize better. I will admit my last dog I got at 8 weeks ( vet thinks he was younger) I really didn't think he would make it to 12 weeks. Had kidney bowl and ear infections $1000 later and he was doing fine. He is five years old and has been worth every penny totally loyal and an absolute love machine .

Boolit Master
    I got mine at what I was told was 6 weeks, but he wasn’t properly developed for a 6wk old, and I found out a few days later that he was 2 1/2 weeks old when the lady told me his actual birthday. I took him knowing he was too young because I thought the lady would sell him to the next person who was willing to pay her price without regard for his age, and had the vacation time to use to take care of him at this fragile age. Now, he’s the best dog I’ve ever had, well trained and extremely loyal, BUT, I wish he had been older because I still don’t think it was right of that woman to sell him at that young age. I mean, he is now 7yo, and still sucks on his blanket after a meal because he was never weaned. But I don’t think I had a choice but to take him when I did because I honestly don’t think he would have survived if he had gone to a home where he didn’t have someone that could stay with him 24/7 til he matured a bit. Thankfully, my boss had been chewing my butt for never taking vacation and having 6 months of it on the books, so they were thrilled when I told them I was going to take at least a month, even if they did pick on me for doing it for “just a dog”. He goes to work w me and has since he was 6 months old, and has saved several lives, so no one on my department considers him “just a dog” anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F1691137-E8F9-4A91-B6E6-1AE2B12A305F.jpg  
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Bub
    War department and her mother was a small breed breeders for a 15+ years and we never sold a pup before 8 weeks and Yorkies and other tiny ones never before 10 weeks. Bigger breeds could go a little sooner but never less than 6 weeks and that's assuming they are weaned and completely on solid food. Others may say different but this worked for us.

Boolit Buddy
    I would bet my money on 7 weeks.

Boolit Master
    Teach, that’s because you care about the welfare of the pups. Unfortunately too many don’t.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    We always liked 6-7 weeks, shorthairs and springer spaniels, Mom was getting tired of them, they imprint to the new family better. My Chesapeakes and a Lab also learned well and bonded at 7 weeks.

Boolit Master
    I don't think there is much wrong with the ages anybody has recommended here. There is more difference between dog and dog. The golden lab my sister and I carried home at the ages of seven and five (us, not the puppy), with her head sticking out of a canvas holdall, was said to be six weeks, and I suspect that she was a shade younger. She was the only puppy we ever had that would at first eat puppy meal only if it was awash with milk. On her first morning we found her squeezed between two cushions, because she was used to sleeping in the mass. But she was exactly normal in a week, and full of sin and impudence in a month.

I had to choose Lanty Hanlon at three weeks, at what auctioneers call an early viewing, although most of the signs or picking out a puppy don't apply then. Irish terrier is an uncommon breed, and it looked like a waiting list was forming. Within a couple of weeks his breeder told me he was the laid-back one of the litter, but the last one to quit on anything, good or bad. We were back for a three-generation reunion a couple of weeks ago, and oddly enough, since we think of him as a maniac, it turns out still to be true. His breeder has put in a high wire fence because his sister ran off in the road, and his brother has been hospitalised twice from fighting his own family's German shepherds. Lanty, following an unsuccessful attack by a mongrelised lab in his youth, lives in hope of being given fair excuse by anybody large and dark, but has never looked like biting anybody, even then, and loves small dogs of both sexes.

He left home at a genuine eight weeks, but still goes one stage beyond blanket-sucking. I let him sit on my lap to watch TV (he defies physics by being capable of levitating there as lightly as a cat), and when I wear a heavy wool sweater he usually ends up gently mouthing my arm, always the left one just below the armpit, sighing ecstatically and pressing gently with each foot in turn. I have become a mother. Still, some other dogs try to make love to your leg.

Here he has taught his friend Truffle to jump onto his metre-high rock. She was claimed to be labrador-Jack Russell, but I think there is a whippet somewhere with a smile on his face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lanty and Truffle 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	207631

Banned
    Back in 2001 we met a Bosnian family that had owned a German Shepherd business back there. They breed, raised, and trained them. We ended up breeding our male German Shepherd to their female and got the pick of the litter. We got the little one at 4 weeks and he formed a tight bond with the wife and me and was the best german shepherd we have ever had. He always told me when dog can eat on his own dog can go.

Boolit Master
    Say eat before he is desperate, and without looking very picky about food of normally solid consistency, and that sounds a pretty good standard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast