MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What an eye opener!

Banned
    Lyman has gone to the dogs. Outsourcing, poor quality control, expensive replacement parts and very hit and miss customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    Not complaining, just stating my surprise. I don't frequent too many retail outlets. It would be great to have a gun shop with decent prices. Trying to retire on the profit on every single sale is just not a smart way to do business. On line shopping is becoming much more attractive.
    Hi, Flashhole.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by prices at our local Rural King store. Seems you can get some new guns for prices about the same as pawnshop used ones.

Good luck! Y'r ol' Bud, Fike
    NRA Endowment Member

Imagine the potential power of a worldwide network of people aligned
    with the vision of saving the world from the sociopaths currently in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    The only problem I ever had with Hornady involved a deprime stim for 223. It got bent with a Berdan primed case and I called to get a replacement.
    I understand that everyone has a bad day, and try to be as polite as possible, but I didn't deserve a berating about it was all my fault and not their problem.
    I paid for a replacement as originally intended, and promptly sold the die set. That was in the "80s, and I have't even loaded their bullets since.
    I'm not holding a grudge, just gunshy.
    With that kind of treatment, I don't blame you.

I didn't start reloading until 2008, so all of my experience with them has been since that time. I usually got a laugh when I told them what dumb thing I did, then tell me the part(s) are in the mail.

With social media as prominent as it is, it's hard to provide poor customer service and stay in business these days.

Boolit Bub

I have never had to call Hornady customer service, but I sure have gone thru a lot of XTPs.
    http://www.nra.org/
    MSGT, USAF, Retired

Boolit Buddy
    Mold Maker, I had the exact same thing happen to me in the summer of '95. I received a replacement but didn't feel the rep's attitude was appropriate. Can't beat their lock rings though. I buy them by the dozen.

delete
    Last edited by flashhole; 11-19-2017 at 01:49 PM.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

308 Jeff - A $3 pot metal screw-in bushing adapter. I bought two. One fit perfectly, the other wouldn't screw into the press. The thread pitch was wrong and also the depth of cut. I sent it back to Hornady 3 times with measurements and comparative pictures of the good part and the bad part. I asked to speak to someone about my purchase but would never get connected to anyone in a position of authority. They simply blew me off. Prior to that I had sent them 30 cal SST bullets that had metal jackets and plastic tips but no lead in them. No response whatsoever on that one. I was hoping for some replacement bullets. I purged everything Hornady from my bench and will never buy their products again.

Their people were also very rude. I just wanted to make things right.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

[QUOTE/]Their people were also very rude. I just wanted to make things right.[/QUOTE]
    -----------------
    It sounds like their customer service motto is- "We're not happy unless you're not happy"

Boolit Master
    I don't mind paying a "little" higher price in a local gun shop. I know they have to cover overhead and shipping and make a living, But when they are completely unreasonable(to Me), I go elsewhere.

Fortunately, I have a local gun shop about 2 miles from me. He is a country boy with very reasonable prices. He will even receive/ship firearms and do the paper work for free if you are a regular customer. He also give me prices for used guns that I trade in which almost embarrasses me.

Just a couple of months ago, I traded in a SA 45Compact to get a RIA CS Tact II. His price was $50 over his cost. He ordered it for a straight up trade.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Many LGS are small Business. They are faced with High Rent , Overhead , Insurance. and Most of all Lack of Credit. Unlike Big stores , That all There goods are On credit Or Fulfillment . The LGS has to Purchase There Items . mark it Up and hopefully some one comes in and buys it
    These threads are like beating a dead Horse . Everyone Knows small store are expensive. and most of all Reloader are Just Cheap . Just look @ the above " I got into It to save Money." Translate That Into english. " I.m Not letting anyone Make Money off Me"
    Well soon There wont be any store to go to. . LGS will be a Thing of the past
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Do you own and operate a small business?

Boolit Master
    Yes I did . In MT. Vernon New York.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

What drove you out, high prices?

Boolit Master
    I was in Grand Island last year and decided to go visit Hornady. Walked in their front door and asked for a tour. They (everyone) was very nice, gave me an individual guided tour by a nice young lady they took off the job to give me the tour. They handload their Safari ammo, they make their own brass, they have a 100 yard range under the parking lot. I can't find anything to complain about.

My LGS has high prices too. His price for powder averages about $40/lb. He is short on stock because he can't afford the minimum orders the distributors require since everyone (including me) is buying off the internet. I would also like that one way ticket to 1965!
    USMC 6638

I guess I'm fortunate in that my LGS is a VERY friendly place with knowledgeable people and decent prices. Not bargain basement, but they have what your looking for. Primers, powder bullets, brass, clothes, fishing tackle, gun safes--you name it. They are now starting to carrying casting equipment as well. It's Simmons Sporting Goods in Bessemer, Al and you cant go in there without drooling.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Minnesota, the state where absolutely nothing is allowed
    A lot of our LGSs have vanished, but a few have hung on and some new ones are getting a foot hold.
    Some big chains came through and killed off a lot of the smaller shops, most of them started out low priced and then got outrageous then they closed up. We still have a couple specialty reloading shops that are going strong, and they both have a strong presence on the interwebs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Kevin,by the time you negotiate all the stuff that cant be exported from US, the stuff that requires permits to import,and huge rises in postage last year or so,it doesnt work out much cheaper. And I have noticed recently US prices are on an upward spiral to our levels.In fact the one thing I would like is a BP barrel,but they cant be exported from the US without a mountain of paperwork.There are barrelmakers here,but its all precision /costly,same as US levels.What I want is a 45cal cheapie ,like you can get.
    Correction: US prices WERE on an upward spiral headed toward being on par with Australia. But now with a little sanity in the White House, (in my opinion..and that is the one that counts) prices here will be on par with pre 2000 prices in 2.5 years. You can mark this down.
    Last edited by Traffer; 12-06-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    In the past, I have bought from Midway, FS and MidSouth. Recently I have switched to Natchez. They are very friendly and prices are better than the others. Not to mention, Natchez has free shipping every time you turn around. /Chris

Banned

ive got two lnl progressives. there ok presses but I should have gotten a couple 650s instead. that said ive had absolutely nothing but great service from there service dept.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12