Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an eye opener!

What an eye opener!

Went to the local gun shop today in Owego, NY. It's called Lock-N-Load.

No, they did not feature Hornady equipment consistent with the Lock-N-Load name. FWIW I viewed this as a positive since I view Hornady as a **** provider of reloading equipment. Hornady's customer service department sucks.

Prices at the local gun shop were ridiculous. Probably explains why mine was the only car in the parking lot.

I went out on a limb looking for some shot shell shot. Nope, their supplier dropped that product. Looked through their "reloading department". Wow! I reload to save money on ammo and make sure I am self sufficient. LGS prices were wayyyyyyyyyyy over the top. eBay is still way better. Spent about 20 minutes looking at other stuff just to get calibrated. I predict they will not be in business very long.

Another local guy gets it. His prices are much better in line with expectations.

I like having local access to stuff I need but will not support ridiculous pricing.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 11-10-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Bypassed Word Censor
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Bub
    some shops want to get rich on one sale.............

It's the minimum wage help that the box stores hire that keep sending me to Mid-South or Midway for my supplies. Then you ask them a logical question and they clearly don't know what you're talking about they act like you're the idiot.

BPI has been getting most of my business. Solid staff, good prices, reasonable shipping, and they are close enough that 2-3 days and my order is here. If I need a particular powder or primer I just keep checking back till they have it. Just have a little patience and due dillegence.

Our LGS have prices jacked to the moon. And in the midst of of the powder shortage I went in and they had all these nice canisters lined up. But they had no powder or primers. I dont see why I should pay 35 to 40$ a pound when I can get it from BPI for 22-25$ a pound. Granted I have to add some hazmat and shipping to that. But if you buy in bulk you still come out better.

Boolit Master
    You want to see jacked prices,move to Oz.A couple of years ago I decided to get a better/newer press.Researched a couple of forums,including this one,.........RCBS is the only one,LEE is a ***,etc ,etc.So went to get a RC ,they are only supplied as a kit,priced over $1000,at that time $A=$US,bit more research,Lee is a *** say all on CB,but Lee cast can be bought separate for under $200,so I got one.Well,its quite OK,does everything I want.But powder is still $50/lb,bullets .50c each+,everything else super dear,and there are plenty of gunstores.

Boolit Buddy
    I went to my LGS during the drought to pick up some primers. They had a couple boxes. I took them to the counter and they rung them up for 4 dollars more than what they were marked. I questioned them and they told me that was the price if I wanted them. I walked away and never returned. I am a online buyer from now on.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    You want to see jacked prices,move to Oz.A couple of years ago I decided to get a better/newer press.Researched a couple of forums,including this one,.........RCBS is the only one,LEE is a ***,etc ,etc.So went to get a RC ,they are only supplied as a kit,priced over $1000,at that time $A=$US,bit more research,Lee is a *** say all on CB,but Lee cast can be bought separate for under $200,so I got one.Well,its quite OK,does everything I want.But powder is still $50/lb,bullets .50c each+,everything else super dear,and there are plenty of gunstores.
    Or, you can get one of us to buy what you want here and ship it to you.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Kevin,by the time you negotiate all the stuff that cant be exported from US, the stuff that requires permits to import,and huge rises in postage last year or so,it doesnt work out much cheaper. And I have noticed recently US prices are on an upward spiral to our levels.In fact the one thing I would like is a BP barrel,but they cant be exported from the US without a mountain of paperwork.There are barrelmakers here,but its all precision /costly,same as US levels.What I want is a 45cal cheapie ,like you can get.

Most of the time I visit a local gun shop (MA), i leave disappointed. If it's a decent shop with decent prices (believe it or not we actually do have a few) it's like they are selling the cure for cancer...guys stacked four deep at the counters drooling over the merchandise. The rest of the local shops either don't have what you want or are asking 20% too much for it...

Boolit Master

Well, this is 2017. It's not 1985 anymore.
    Whether most people realize it or not inflation has been climbing for the last 8-10 years. Mostly due to the government spending more then the GDP. Not to mention national debt, and unfunded liabilities that are so high, no one wants to talk about it.

I would advise all here to buy as much powder, primers and lead as they can afford before the prices go up.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    One thing I have noticed lately is Lee presses are no longer a forum ***,and now other press brands have taken a big tumble in price,in one case to a lot less than a Lee.This for a press that was once sold in a $800 kit exclusively........The kids are talking a trip to Mars for $1mil,well I want a trip to 1965,nonreturn.

Boolit Master

Well, I know that LGS prices are typically higher than online but I still support them, mostly. Keeping them in business is worth something to me as it helps the local economy. Where I'm at here on the border with Mexico there are not many choices but the LGS keeps a surprising variety of reloading supplies.

Even during the component drought they had stock of most powders excepting primers. As a regular customer they would keep me a brick of each kind of primer when they got stock and notified me to come pick it up. Other customers were limited to one sleeve!

Today I bought 1#'s of H4895, IMR3031 & IMR4064. Price was $31.50/each.

Yes, their prices are higher than elsewhere but it's how I roll.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

The lowest price I remember on the Lee Classic Cast press was $56. I waited to buy until I heard the reviews and by the time I bought one they were $72. Now they are way higher. Same with the Classic Turret, mine (two) were $79 and $82. Still great value buys. Similar story with the Redding Ultramag. Bought both brand new but a few years apart $125 and $166.

Getting into reloading today and starting from nothing is pretty pricey. Every once in a great while you can find a good deal on eBay but nothing like what it used to be 10 years ago.

Shop owners just don't seem to understand mail order competition.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

john.k., I bought a couple of Lee Pro 1000's used (via the Hunting.net forum) at a good price, but eventually decided I needed a better progressive. Looked at Dillon, but the prices here made my eyes water! Looked at a Loadmaster, prices were still on the high side but the biggest problem here is finding someone who stocks the stuff. I compiled a list of what I needed and could not find one place here in Oz who had everything in stock!!! Most had to be back-ordered, which meant 6-8-10 weeks or more. So I went to Titan Reloading, everything in stock and took just over a week to get here (and cheaper, even with shipping) - why would I bother trying to buy local? I've got to be pretty desperate to buy anything local. Primers, of course, we have no choice but my club has arranged with a country gun shop for primers and he gives us a good deal for buying bulk (we're stocking up when we can get them as they're in short supply, no surprise there).

Boolit Grand Master

Did you start this thread as a warning or just complaining? Complaining about Hornady and the gun store?
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Not complaining, just stating my surprise. I don't frequent too many retail outlets. It would be great to have a gun shop with decent prices. Trying to retire on the profit on every single sale is just not a smart way to do business. On line shopping is becoming much more attractive.

Banned

Online shoppoing saves wear and tear on your car and gas money.

Boolit Grand Master

What an eye opener!

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Online shoppoing saves wear and tear on your car and gas money.
    Sure does. But you don't "have it immediately". And you can't try it on before you buy. Both have their places. I still peruse the local gun shops when I get a chance. The last gun I bought was from a retail store. But only because I had a gift certificate. Every other gun I can think of was purchased online.

It's a lot easier to impulse buy when the item is in your hand. Now that I think about that's how I ended up w/ a Ruger American Ranch in 300BO, and a S&W 586-8 and a Savage 99.....and and and.....I need to stay out of gun shops

Can I ask what lead to your hatred of Hornady products and negative view of their customer service?

Anything Hornady that I broke was my fault, I told them that while I was on the phone with them, and they've never let me pay for anything. Don't know why it would be different for other people?

Boolit Grand Master

The only problem I ever had with Hornady involved a deprime stim for 223. It got bent with a Berdan primed case and I called to get a replacement.
    I understand that everyone has a bad day, and try to be as polite as possible, but I didn't deserve a berating about it was all my fault and not their problem.
    I paid for a replacement as originally intended, and promptly sold the die set. That was in the "80s, and I have't even loaded their bullets since.
    I'm not holding a grudge, just gunshy.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast