MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Old Winchester 1894 magazine issue

Old Winchester 1894 magazine issue

My pre-'64 Winchester 1894 from my late grandfather's collection has an issue with wanting to begin feeding a second round instead of stopping at one. I think I've tracked down the issue. The part known as the "Link", part #33 on the Numritch schematic, has a blade on the end nearest the magazine. In my rifle, the top corner seems to have be rounded compared to the same part in my brother's rifle.

Now my rifle is old, as in born in 1897. Would replacing the link with the Numrich part (used factory original) drastically reduce its value? I'd never sell it, but I also don't want to do anything that could be construed as ruining it.

Numrich schematic: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...-pre-64?page=3
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Does it run ok the way it is? If so leave it......

My .02

Fix it and use it as a tribute to your Grandfather. If you are experienced; if not take it to a TRUE gunsmith (with references.)

Boolit Mold
    If it's not a true collector fix it shot it and enjoy the history.

Boolit Master
    Fix it so you can use it. keep the original part. If you or your heirs ever sell it give the original part to the new owner. I don't know if true collector guns ever get shot. They should be in a condition that works all the time. You are replacing a worn out factory part with a factory part that works. Should not hurt collector value.

Boolit Grand Master

If it is an OLD one you can weld and reshape the piece and it will work like new. If you keep the old one and put in a new replacement you are still good to go if someday you want it all original.

Boolit Master
    I am a 94 collector and a replaced internal part is not a problem. it is when you start replacing barrels and stocks or sights. is when you start to affect collectivity

Boolit Buddy
    There is a pre 64 link on eBay for less than what GPC is asking.
    I would take a look there. I have built some guns for reasonable prices off of there.

Boolit Master

I have seen a quite a few of these that were worn down and let two cartridge on the carrier. If you know someone good at welding it can be built up and reshaped. I have done several over the years.

Boolit Master

You have the perfect situation. As Mr. Taylor mentioned have a "good" welder put a bit of metal on the end and using your brothers good part as a guide simply use a file and shape it the same as your brothers link. I had a similar situation with a 94 in .357. Bought a new link (newer MIM very soft part) which started to fail after a few hundred rounds so I had a welder friend put some metal on the end and I reshaped it to the original profile. (I had taken a close up picture of the new part with the idea of repairing the old one) See post # 6
    https://www.levergunscommunity.org/v...repair#p475490
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

So, I ended up purchasing one from flea-bay after reading modified5's post. I took the rifle apart once to check its mechanical condition (in addition to checking headspace and slugging the barrel) before firing it the first time. I should be able to do it again without too many problems. Far as I can tell, using the lower half of published loads isn't doing her any damage, especially with my lead boolit only policy.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."

In case anyone's interested, the new part arrived and installed without a hitch. Tested the mechanism with some dummy rounds and it worked perfectly. Thanks for all the advice and the heads up on the availability of parts on ebay.

Building the cartridge stop finger up with weld may not be needed, as I've "fixed" several via removing the lower link and placing the side of the finger on a steel block (or anvil) so it can be swedged a bit longer with several blows from a heavy hammer (no "love taps").

If it's lengthened a bit too much/long (cartridges won't feed from the magazine at all), it can be dressed down with a file a little bit at a time, until cartridges are just barely released from the magazine.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    Cowboy_Dan, glad it worked out for you.
    Fleabay can be a pain in the behind, but some good deal can be had there.
    Enjoy shooting that old gal.
    Scott