MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cast Boolits and my CZ 527 V in 17 Hornet

Boolit Buddy
    I will be interested to see how your PC goes. It would eliminate the lube step and does keep everything clean. Still haven't gotten to the 100 yard range with the 2.8 grain loads, but I will soon.

Keep me posted on how your 32's are going.

v/r rch

rhouser,

Well the fun begins. I have PC,d the first 30 (smoke's traffic orange 32gr and yellow26gr gc) and just cast another 100 of both. I think I'll use the same loading scheme you are so we are testing similar loads with the only difference being yours are lubed and my are PC'd. I try to get my chrono to cooperate, sometimes in the winter I don't get good contrast across the screens at my range since the mountain on the south side of the range leaves us in shadows. I'm draining the swamp the next 2 weekends so it may take a while for me to have some results. But as soon as I do you'll know.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Minerat, did you ever get to shoot some of your PC's? Any update?

v/r rch

I did but haven't had time to get the data together to be able too file a coherent report. Got chrono data on PCd 26 & 32 gr noe's with Trail boss and some 26 gr with blue dot but the battery on the chrono died before I could get the rest. I'll try to get what I have together tomorrow and post a report. TTFN

steve

For inquiring minds. This is the data I collected at the range a couple of weeks ago.
    Firearm: CZ 527 Varmint w/ Nikon PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14X50 BDC
    Caliber: 17 Hornday Hornet
    Boolits: NOE 172-26 GC and NOE 172-32 sized to 0.172 after coating. The alloy was ˝ range – ˝ COWW
    Cases: New Hornday brass w/ CCI 400 SR primers
    I used Smoke’s powders to double coat the boolits

Powder\load (gr)\Boolit\Wt (gr)\Velocity @ 10 ft.
    Trail boss\1.0\172-26\26.5GC\694
    Trail boss\1.6\172-26\26.5GC\1053
    Trail boss\2.5\172-26\26.5GC\1415
    Trail boss\1.0\172-32\33\685
    Trail boss\1.6\172-32\33\1000
    Trail boss\2.5\172-32\33\1340
    Blue Dot\2.0\172-26\26.5GC\935

I have not included group numbers because of some technical issues that the reloader operator caused when crimping the boolits (slight shoulder swelling) that probably affected the accuracy. While all rounds chambered some were harder then others due to the slight swelling . This may have had an effect on the case not being centered on the bore so I discounted the group sizes and decided on collecting only the velocity this time. No boolits were recovered as there was about 2 foot of snow behind targets and I could not find them. There was no leading in the barrel either.

I will say that as the powder charge of Trail Boss increased the groups began to tighten. All shots were fired at a 50 yard target, using 14 power and the set trigger option on the gun, The 1 gr groups tended to be around 4 inches low from aiming point, the 1.6 gr load were 3 inches low and the 2.5 gr groups were 2.0 inches low. All loads were weighed. All velocities ware based on 5 shot groups. I also had some Blue Dot loads ready but the battery in the Pact Professional Chrono died after the first Blue Dot loads were fired. The BD loads were 2.0 gr & 2.5 gr with each boolit. I may test the Blue Dot to 4.0 gr.

I plan to fix the case shoulder issue on the remaining rounds, reload the 2.0 gr BD and the 1.6 & 2.5 gr TB loads and test for accuracy. I’ll measure the velocities again to confirm these numbers.

Some might call out the use of a standard CCI primer as being the grouping problems but I used those when working up my first J word loads and got consistent sub- half inch groups at 100 yds out of this gun.

Questions?
    Last edited by Minerat; 02-10-2018 at 08:34 PM. Reason: fixed the table
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Minerat, Bump the TB to 2.8 and give it a try for 50 yards. That is the sweet spot for 50 yards with my CZ. I had grouping issues with the 1.0 gr TB at 50 yards. Not enough powder. At 25 yards the 32gr was a real eye opener. My CZ will shoot the 32 gr 1 grain load into "dime" groups at 25 yards. This makes a low noise sub sonic load which is useful to me. For 50 yards 2.8 grs does the trick.

v/r rch

I've found that 3.0 of HP-38 shoots just wonderfully with the 32g
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Dang...Sprue hole bigger than the boolit?....
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Quote Originally Posted by rhouser View Post
    Minerat, Bump the TB to 2.8 and give it a try for 50 yards. That is the sweet spot for 50 yards with my CZ. I had grouping issues with the 1.0 gr TB at 50 yards. Not enough powder. At 25 yards the 32gr was a real eye opener. My CZ will shoot the 32 gr 1 grain load into "dime" groups at 25 yards. This makes a low noise sub sonic load which is useful to me. For 50 yards 2.8 grs does the trick.

v/r rch
    Maybe if I can learn not to mash the case when seating I can check accuracy. I'll fore go the 1.0 gr and try the 2.8 next at 50 yds. Then go back to the 1.0 later. Thanks

Softpoint. Kinda weird, right. Try handling them with fat fingers.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Paper patch!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Paper patch!!

I can hardly imagine casting and handling those tiny boogers. There have been a few people paper patch .22's though. Not me...lol
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    Paper patch!!

Not me! I have enough trouble getting them seated, to fight wrapping paper around them too. LOL
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

No need to patch them, just like every other cast bullet use alloy/lube/GC for proper speed and everything goes well.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Banned

I bought a nice TC Contender Carbine in .17 HMR a few years ago, at the asking price, it was simply too good to pass on. Good rifle and accurate, but it's a cartridge I don't have much use for and I'd rather have something I can reload for.

Was contemplating having it rechambered to .17 Hornet since it's a factory round now. Not sure if I'd cast for it, but I coach a JROTC air rifle team and last year we were mandated to use lead free pellets. OK, there were some growing pains, but we've been using some that are advertised as a "tin alloy" whatever that means. I do know they are very hard and ten to bounce way out of the pellet traps which were designed for lead.

These are the flat nosed, wadcutter types, so energy transfer should be good. Since they are obviously much stronger than traditional lead pellets, I was wondering if they might load well in a .17 and make a decent squirrel round.

Does anyone know if the bore size, rate of twist, etc., on the .17 HMR would work for .17 Hornet?

Its been awhile but my past 8 months has been mostly j word shooting in the 17 hh. But what has changed is I now have the NOE .173 sizer insert and .173 expander. I finally have some empty cases, a # of Cfe blk, a bunch of 26gr PC'd gc'd and 32gr PC'd ready to start loading again. I fixed the battery problem with the chrono so I don't have to deal with the battery dieing. Will start with 6.5 gr Cfe and work to 7.5 with both boolits, then work from 2.5 to 4.0 with blue dot and try the 2.8 gr Trail boss like Chad is using. Oh, I fixed the crushed cases and got a factory crimp die to stop that. Maybe I'll have something by Christmastime but once I do I'll post the results.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12