Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: effect on alloy

Boolit Grand Master

effect on alloy

does pc have any effect that anyone has observed on the performance of the alloy being coated?
    Say you use a 16-1 alloy and drive it @ 1400 fps the alloy alone should perform like a core loct whereby it make a pretty mushroom will adding pc disrupt that alloy trait?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I was under the impression that polymer coat basically separates the alloy from the rifling, but engages the rifling and imparts the spin. For the polymer coat to disrupt the expansion properties of the underlying alloy, wouldn't the polymer coat have to be much harder and thicker?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    Baking the powder coat can have an effect on the hardness of water quenched bullets.
    I've heard that PC'd bullets shoot a little faster than traditionally lubed bullets.
    I can't imagine there would be much of a difference on expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I was under the impression that polymer coat basically separates the alloy from the rifling, but engages the rifling and imparts the spin. For the polymer coat to disrupt the expansion properties of the underlying alloy, wouldn't the polymer coat have to be much harder and thicker?
    I think we agree & don't think it engages the rifling, it's too thin. If your coating is .001" thick and that cast runs through rifling that stands .004" there is .003" of boolit metal engaged...that PC is a lubricant that just appears to be a jacket.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    I was most curious about after the boolit exits the firearm
    its terminal performance
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned

the coating will flow with the alloy as it is disrupted.

Boolit Grand Master
    whats not to like
    sounds like a win,win
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the coating will flow with the alloy as it is disrupted.
    This is what I am banking on for my 44 ammo for deer season this year, a nice soft 1-16 to 1-20 bullet with a powder coat wrapper.

Boolit Buddy
    Just don't water quench them when they come out of the oven. I've had powdercoated alloys for hp bullets that have fragmented and I believe it was because I dump them in water when done. I haven't been able to test the air cooled ones yet.

Boolit Buddy
    Basic physics, I've found, still apply. The PC will prevent leading so long as you don't push the bullet beyond the limits of the alloy to the point that it comes apart. For accuracy though, your load has to work with the hardness of the alloy. The faster you push it, the harder the alloy needs to be, despite PC. It's not a big deal with handguns but is with rifles. Bullet design also seems to have an effect. My best load with the relatively soft alloy (unknown BHN but probably around 12) I'm using does great with blunter profiles but patterns with pointier ones of the same weight. I could be wrong but so far that's my operating theory. I'll have to gradually increase the hardness of my alloy to prove it though. Working on it.