Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tri-Ball Buckshot Scores!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anotherred View Post
    I want say I calculated around 7# gun, 1250 fps, 29 gr powder and what ever weight the ones I cast came in at. Now I haven't cronoed yet, just going off the data I found. I hope mine figures are wrong, as my shoulder would appreciate your calculations alot better.
    The only recoil aspects not taken into account, were the actual weight of the wad and buffer.
    Velocity was based on a 20 inch barrel. My usual 26" barrel + extended choke tube usually adds between 20 and 30 fps.

See post #14 below:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-load-question
    Last edited by RMc; 02-21-2018 at 12:07 AM.

Banned

^^^ Thank you
    Makes sense

Boolit Master

I load these and they do kick pretty hard, just as hard as my 15x00 2 3/4" loads. I do not think it is possible to load tri-ball in a 2 3/4" due to the length of the shot column, 3 .60 balls stack pretty long. It requires a wad that is all shot cup, a steel shot wad from BPI.

Banned
    Greetings Moonie, after reading your comments, this chart of powder to hull space comes to mind.
    https://imgur.com/YLWx85Q
    Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    Ajay
    SuperBlazingSabots

Boolit Master
    BUCK SHOT has finally been outlawed in my state, RI. be cause of all of the gut shot deer that got away and died a horrible death according to the state biologists. a slug either hits and kills or misses. a hunters prayer- o lord please let me kill clean or miss clean. being the smallest state we can use slugs but not any rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    BUCK SHOT has finally been outlawed in my state, RI. be cause of all of the gut shot deer that got away and died a horrible death according to the state biologists. a slug either hits and kills or misses. a hunters prayer- o lord please let me kill clean or miss clean. being the smallest state we can use slugs but not any rifle.
    To compare the tri-ball load to conventional buckshot loads isn't really fair. The tri-ball load is 3 .60 caliber balls, they penetrate like you wouldn't believe as they must be cast very hard. It's more like shooting 3 slugs in 1 shell.

Boolit Master

It's all a matter of perspective:

Attached comparison of Dixie TriBall buckshot with an equal weight of 00B and 40 yard pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9807d1289355270t-ole-dixie-vs-bone-box-tri-ball-00b-ii-resized.jpg   dixietriballiiqc1.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Has anyone tried two 0.610" RB's in a 2 3/4" hull?

I have a recipe for two 0.690" RB's in (IIRC) 2 3/4" hull but haven't tried it. I got it off nitroexpress.com. Cross referencing to very heavy shot loads it looks acceptable but...

Two 0.610" RB's is not bad for weight at all at around 650 grs. depending on alloy. Not a Tri-Ball but it should do okay I'd guess if loaded in similar fashion.

Just curious. It may be worth buying a Lee RB mould just to check it out.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Yeah, it has been a while since I posted, but the Tri-Ball Buckshot testing has continued.

The Remington 870 has moved to the back of the safe and the Benelli Novas and Super Novas to the front. The rotating bolt Benellis seem to be handling the pressures better. I like the 870 but I have grown to love the Benelli Pumps.

Started testing 3.5 Inch Tri-Ball Buckshot. The 3.5 Inch Tri-Ball Load Data Mr. Gates posted on this forum calls for 32 grains of Steel powder. In my shotguns 32 grains is HOT, as in primers flowing into the firing pin hole and having to mortar the shotgun to eject the round. Loading 31 grains of Steel powder made the load much more manageable, and still offers about 75 fps over the 3 inch version. The biggest improvement I have seen is in group size when shooting the 3.5 inch load in 3.5 inch chambers versus the 3 inch load in 3.5 inch chambers. The 3.5 inch shoots an average of about an inch tighter at 40 yards. The individual shooter will have to decide if the extra recoil is worth it. One shot put all three balls into one hole at 40 yards. Ya'll probably think I am full of Bovine Fecal Matter, but it was witnessed.

I still think this is the best buckshot load there is, and plan on hunting with it exclusively this upcoming deer season.

More to come.

Just my .02,
    LeonCarr
    Last edited by LeonCarr; 08-30-2020 at 01:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12