Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Lee 1 oz slug data

Lee 1 oz slug data

I only have experience loading the Lyman 525 slug that a member sent me a couple years ago. I really like the results of the Lyman. I'm looking at getting the Lee mold because it will be my first adventure into casting so I think it would be better to choose a cheap mold first. Last thing I want to do is ruin a $70 mold. With the Lyman slug I was using a Remington sts hull, blue dot, and a claybuster waa12f114 clone wad. I wasn't getting the most consistent crimp but they all shot well. All I'm looking to do is blast stuff within 50 yards, doesn't need to be super accurate. They will be shot out of smooth bores. Going for a full power load. Anyone have any good loads that would suit this role using a Remington sts/gun club hull? I'd also like to stick with blue dot if possible. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks!

Boolit Master

I've found the 7/8 oz the be consistently more accurate. There's factory loading data included with the mold too.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Here ya go from the Lee mold data sheet:
    https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/in.../SM%203529.pdf

7/8ths on top 1oz on bottom.
    I just loaded 20 yesterday afternoon with the top line of the 1oz on the chart. But I reduced the load from 49 to 46gr B.Dot. I also cut the wad petals down about 3/16th of an inch( about the top of the slug) to make sure they did not interfere with the crimp. I used shells that were 2-5/8ths rather than 2-3/4. I usually use a roll crip, but I decided to try the 6 fold "star" crimp this time. Worked out OK so far. Since I used a shorter shell ( They are factory made police/mil. tactical slug shells) , that leaves an approx. pencil end eraser type hole in the top(1/4"?) & the folded petals look like they kind of hold the slug in place. Have not tried this load out yet, but I reckon it is gonna be going about 1600-1625fps & I think that is plenty fast. Might even reduce it more.

You should probably bookmark that link btw..

G'Luck!
    Last edited by JBinMN; 11-10-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: forgot something
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Thanks! The data Lee lists is for a fold crimp right? That's what it looks like to me. Also, the Remington "premier" hull they list, is that the same thing as an sts?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    Thanks! The data Lee lists is for a fold crimp right? That's what it looks like to me. Also, the Remington "premier" hull they list, is that the same thing as an sts?
    You are correct. The data Lee lists is for a fold crimp. Also, the Rem. "premier" hull is the same thing as an sts. I'd agree with Hogtamer 100% - the 7/8 oz. Lee slug is easier to get to shoot well than the 1 oz. version.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Grand Master
    Listen to Hogtamer. The 7/8 oz Lee should give bettter accuracy.

But if you are happy with the Lyman slug, just get that mold. It is nearly impossible to ruin a mold if you refrain from bashing it with a hammer or banging it on the bench.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Have cast and shot all three of the slugs indicated above. For me the Lyman 525 gives the best results in a rifled barrel. The 1 oz Lee gives the worst results. Shot a few animals with slugs but never at more than 75 yards.

Boolit Mold
    Ballistic Products provides some pretty good load data for both the 7/8 and 1 oz drive-key slug. I've used their load data for the 7/8 slugs and obtained really good groups at 50 yards (four holes touching with one flyer 2 inches from the clover leaf)

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_04_25.htm
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/load14_06_13.htm

I like shooting the 1 oz Lee slug

No special purpose, just general blasting at 25 yards. I use Rem Gun Club hulls because that's what I load for skeet by the thousands.

I've found the Claybuster Windjammer clones to work with a heavier Unique load (24g for a MV of 1358 fps)
    and 18-19g Red Dot with the Lightning Wad for a low recoil load of 1250 fps. Much easier on the shoulder when shooting lots of rounds. I have a Remington 1100 vent rib with one bead and an IC choke. Sighting is done by simply looking down the ramp. Great for skeet and trap, good enough for short range blasting.

These wads are good because the pedals are very thin and the slug fits nicely in the hull without bulging.

Lightning CB-4100-12B on the left and Windjammer CB4118-12B on the right which has a tuft of dacron pillow stuffing under it. The slug compresses down and allows for a good crimp.

They fit nicely in the hull and give very good crimps on my Mec 9000GN

Last edited by Retumbo; 12-01-2017 at 03:03 PM.