Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Who makes a 6 mm gas check maker?

Boolit Buddy

Who makes a 6 mm gas check maker?

who makes a gas check maker for 6mm? Seems I can find every thing but 6mm.

Boolit Master
    I googled 6mm gas checks and found 4 manufacturers,did you try 243 gas checks ?

Boolit Master
    Ooops, you asked about Gas Check MAKER. Sorry, lots of gas checks out there though.

Pat Marlin would be who I would contact.
    Looks like he has a 243/6mm listed.
    https://www.patmarlins.com/product-category/checkmaker/
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

All the gas check makers are expensive. I would give anything for Lee to make one.... or a six pack to a machining friend, but that would require me to have friends first. I wouldn't mind the 150ish bucks, if it had dies and a center punch for 40ish bucks. So all it took to swap calibers was a disk cutting die, cup forming die, and center punch swap.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    All the gas check makers are expensive. I would give anything for Lee to make one.... or a six pack to a machining friend, but that would require me to have friends first. I wouldn't mind the 150ish bucks, if it had dies and a center punch for 40ish bucks. So all it took to swap calibers was a disk cutting die, cup forming die, and center punch swap.
    I think you are a bit high on your estimate. $98 for the caliber die + $4.95 for the ejector arm which you only need one of no matter how many calibers. Not sure what shipping is but think it's SFRB with some added insurance. Still well short of $150. Still have to buy material and aluminum flashing of right brand/product runs around $10 per thousand as I recall. Have to shoot a fair amount like maybe 5 or 6 thousand to make it "pay".

Look for Gator gas checks they cost less than the big name brands in some cases it can make more sense to just in buy in bulk and have a "lifetime" supply on hand. http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...u2lcsmaleiku41 If you have something bolt action that you only shoot once in awhile a couple or three thousand might qualify as a lifetime supply.

For .223 or 7.62x39 it is a lot easier to use enough for savings to add up. Or if you shoot some competitive event that can involve a lot of rounds then making your own can save you some bucks. Or just nice to know you have a supply no matter what the market is doing.

I agree would be "nice" if there was a discount version but on the other hand at least $40 for reloading dies + cost of casting mold + lubrication and sizing equipment sort of puts the cost of the checkmaker in perspective.

I doubt the market is large enough or profitable enough to attract big players all that much. Reloaders are a subset of shooters, they all use dies, and remove or seat primers, so there is a robust market for presses, dies, brass and priming tools. Most of those reloaders don't cast, and of those that cast many don't use gas checks or if they do use gas checks they buy them. Making checkmakers is just such a niche market that demands a lot of precision with fairly low percentage of the reloading market to buy them, not the profit margin or volume to attract the big players.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat