Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Volunteering to help others

Boolit Buddy

Volunteering to help others

A couple of weeks ago I was driving up hwy 103 in Colorado, just a few miles out of town. I saw a pullout on the left side of the road with several sheriffs vehicles and the coroner's vehicle. There in between the vehicles, as I drove by, I saw a man in his 50's or so on his back with a very obvious exit wound in his left forehead. It looked like a tomato poking out of his head.
    It really made me think, I have struggled through life myself. It made me remember how much agony one goes through in that decision making process. It is not something that someone can imagine, it is tortuous. That day made me think of how perhaps my experiences could give someone the ability to make it past that point of no return. I had two friends that helped me over a decade ago, maybe that guy did not have anyone to help him?
    Then today I read in the paper of a 15 year old kid taking his own life. In the article there was a phone number for the local help group. They called me back, I am going to stop by and meet the other staff and volunteers.

I have wanted to help others in some way for a long time, but I haven't volunteered in several years. I have reservations about posting what I have about myself. But for some reason I feel like there are many genuinely good people on this forum that I wanted to share this with.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by winchester85 View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I was driving up hwy 103 in Colorado, just a few miles out of town. I saw a pullout on the left side of the road with several sheriffs vehicles and the coroner's vehicle. There in between the vehicles, as I drove by, I saw a man in his 50's or so on his back with a very obvious exit wound in his left forehead. It looked like a tomato poking out of his head.
    It really made me think, I have struggled through life myself. It made me remember how much agony one goes through in that decision making process. It is not something that someone can imagine, it is tortuous. That day made me think of how perhaps my experiences could give someone the ability to make it past that point of no return. I had two friends that helped me over a decade ago, maybe that guy did not have anyone to help him?
    Then today I read in the paper of a 15 year old kid taking his own life. In the article there was a phone number for the local help group. They called me back, I am going to stop by and meet the other staff and volunteers.

I have wanted to help others in some way for a long time, but I haven't volunteered in several years. I have reservations about posting what I have about myself. But for some reason I feel like there are many genuinely good people on this forum that I wanted to share this with.
    Thank you Sir. I lost my oldest son to suicide a little over ten years ago, he was 40 years old. I really wish someone had been there to talk to him.

Boolit Buddy
    I hope that my perspective can help someone.
    I fear getting too involved and getting dragged back into my own pit of misery. But, I have always felt better about myself when I help others.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Winchester volunteers change the world because they care and people know and feel it. My ministry has about 80 committed volunteers and help feed around 900 elderly per month. These are ones who would not have decent food without help, their merger income and medical bills don't allow much for food.
    You feel a burden for what you are talking about try it. If you can't you will know and the Lord will lead you to something you can do to make a difference in your area.

Boolit Master
    Try it, but be careful to know your limits. There is an infinite amount of need and it is rewarding but emotionally grueling work.

Dear friend of mine lost her younger brother a couple years ago and an employee of mine lost a husband and a son, but my immediate family has been spared this particular hardship and for that I give thanks daily.

Boolit Grand Master
    As I get older, I seem to notice and feel for those who have less than I do.
    I have from time to time. Even though I don't really have much myself.
    The few times I have, it didn't turn out for the best.
    Lots of these people seem to be all alone. No friends to turn to anymore.
    I'm very fortunate to have a few very good friends.
    Maybe, some of them just need someone to notice them.
    I don't know.
    But I'll probably still help a few in the future.
    Don't do it for me, or karma, or pity. Do it because they are a living being.
    I do regularly feed stray animals.
    Maybe if we all try to treat each other better, we can heal our country.

Moderator Emeritus

Up until this year I used to have Thanksgiving for anyone who didn't have family to go to. My friends in town were a part of it and we hosted the meal at their house(they had far more space). My back has gotten to where I cannot cook for 50 people anymore but someone else in town is picking up the load for me. In fact it is someone who was considering suicide because she lost her job, had no family, was about to be homeless... we managed to get her rent paid that Thanksgiving and she was good for 6 months, then she found a job that is paying double her old one and no longer battles deep depression(she still has flashbacks at times but manages them now). I will help her with the recipes etc and she is hosting it this year in the house she bought! I still have friends to cook for so can't make it but she knows she can call with questions!

And I am not wealthy, Social Security Disability last 10 years, I still managed to feed a crowd by assigning an ingredient to everyone. They had to bring it by 2 days ahead of time so I had it when needed. Many of them would come over the day before and we would do the pie assembly line and cook 10 pumpkin pies! Plus bake the sweet potatoes and peel them, get all the dry stuffing ingredients mixed and ready... then Thanksgiving day 3-4 would come to help move everything to my friends house where we had 2 ovens to help with the turkey and stuffing, make salads, setup tables in the garage to eat off of(tables borrowed from the city parks). They all made friends and are no longer alone! Every year we always had some new people who at first were shy but then found out we were like a giant family and did goofy stuff... like never say pass me a roll... that would get one tossed at you from across the room! People came and went but nobody was ever turned away.

So do what you can to help, doesn't matter what it is! A kind word and a shoulder to lean on can make a world of difference to some people!

Compssion...it’s called compassion, and it’s something that is birthed by the Spirit of God. Run with it. I believe you’ll find yourself shocked at what the Lord can do through a person who responds with love and compassion.
    I serve Jesus exclusively...do you?

.45-70 Marlin 1895 GBL
    .30-06 Win. M70

I finally obtained a feedback post!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...80#post4182480

Moderator Emeritus

One thing I have found, poor people will always set another plate and feed you no matter what!

Boolit Grand Master

When you go talk to them interview them as much as they interview you. You need to know resources they have backing them up - referral networks, City/County social services resources, Church resources, etc. This should include medical/psychological/ counseling resources as well.

The very most you can do on the phone is offer a bandaid - when a cure is necessary but perhaps not within their known means. You need to have more to offer than a bandaid - if the caller is willing to use the resources.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!