MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can lube be chemically disolved?

Boolit Mold
    I just finished cleaning about 30 pounds of 255 grain 45 Colt bullets. I put them in my toaster oven at 200 degrees with a triple layer of paper towels under them to soak up the lube (beeswax and alox). Then I washed them three times in gasoline using a parts brush to help clean them. The last time I washed with gas, I then put them into a small bucket with acetone and swirled them around, dumped them on a soft towel and let them dry for about half an hour. I then used the shake and bake method for coating them, baked them for 12 minutes at 400 degrees and they came out great. This was my first time using powder coat and I used Smoke's black powder. I am not sure that you need to do everything just as I did, but this worked for me. I know that some guys just re-cast them but a lot of the work was already done as far as casting and it seemed like a waste of time to do it all over again. Others may want to do it another way, but this worked for me and it addresses the gentleman's question.

Quote Originally Posted by softpoint View Post
    I powder coat most of my bullets now, and have tried cleaning up a few lubed bullets to powder coat, but for the most part, I found just shooting up the already lubed and sized bullets and casting new bullets was easier.
    Best solution.

I had purchased 500 Magnus cast 40 SW when I discovered PC . I boiled once, no dice. Then I tried another batch and boiled twice , skimming off the lube when it solidified and and it worked with no issues.
    Flydad

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

― Leonardo da Vinci

Boolit Buddy
    I boil off the lube on the stove. I usually use Dawn and add some automatic dishwasher soap as well.

Wait for the missus to go to a yoga class, though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12