Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another Russian Slug mold

Bloodtrail what are all the Ga. of slug molds do they have ? the ones that you got yours from?
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Bloodtrail what are all the Ga. of slug molds do they have ? the ones that you got yours from?
    I got mine from two different Russian slug molds companies that I can’t pronounce. Good thing is, they have slug molds for **** near all calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    I got mine from two different Russian slug molds companies that I can’t pronounce. Good thing is, they have slug molds for **** near all calibers.

Ok some time in time i thinking of one for 410 and see about 10ga. But need to see what the cost will be.Just thinking right now.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

These are pretty cool looking slugs ! the fact that they are Drag Stabilized by the wad is what makes me interested. I have DGS Slugs from BPI (actually from Luca the rep for the Italian Mfg at SHOT) and they are the best ones I have shot yet.

However they are not any more accurate at 50 yards than my Pumpkin Balls over Trap Loads, but definitely hit harder. I don't see anything delivering Rifle accuracy from a smoothbore. Close with respect to range but not there yet. To many variables they have to overcome after leaving the barrel.

That said I was able to shoot a 3 shot 2" group on my sighting target at my Front Sight Tactical Shotgun Class last week. Then I shot this 3 shot in the guys face at 50 yards off hand in about 10 seconds. This was Federal Low Recoil 1oz slugs. First two shots in the right eye are 1.5" apart.

Without a rifled barrel I think we are doing about as good as we can with slugs of any kind. but I will keep looking.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

That reminds me of an article I was recently reading. I don't think anyone would ever argue you can get rifle accuracy from a smooth bore. The very best I've seen is 4" at 100 yards. One gun would do that fairly consistently, the other I built, and it will average closer to 5-6" at 100 yards. I consider an average 3 to 5 groups of 5 shots each. I shoot 3 shot groups when testing loads, but I don't consider a single 3 shot group an average. 6" at 100 yards is still fantastic IMO from a smoothbore. I too have been impressed by round balls. Inside of 60 yards, they can be every bit as accurate as rifled slugs. It makes a guy wonder why they aren't still loaded in factory ammo, the only thing I can figure is safety through tight chokes. Rifled barrel shotguns are overrated from what I've seen. I've seen a few examples of true 150 yard guns, but never saw one shoot consistent 6" or smaller at 200 yards. I tried all kinds of fancy sabot slugs through my rifled guns, the best is my USH with Hornady SST's, but it's only good to 150 yards (any only certain LOTS on top of that). That gun shoots about 3" at 100 yards. The article I was reading was comparing rifled shotguns and muzzle loaders. They claim the AVERAGE 100 yard group is 2.54". That's total garbage, maybe a group here and there, but not an average over many guns. Muzzle loaders with modern bullets are capable of that accuracy, and 1.5 MOA is not unreasonable. The best I can figure, the downfall of shotgun slugs is the forcing cone. The regular forcing cone allows anything to be safely fired, but that much free bore can'be be doing anything good for accuracy, especially a 2 3/4" in a 3 1/2" chamber. Anyway, that's enough rambling, I'll link the article below.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...-muzzleloader/

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    That reminds me of an article I was recently reading. I don't think anyone would ever argue you can get rifle accuracy from a smooth bore. The very best I've seen is 4" at 100 yards. One gun would do that fairly consistently, the other I built, and it will average closer to 5-6" at 100 yards. I consider an average 3 to 5 groups of 5 shots each. I shoot 3 shot groups when testing loads, but I don't consider a single 3 shot group an average. 6" at 100 yards is still fantastic IMO from a smoothbore. I too have been impressed by round balls. Inside of 60 yards, they can be every bit as accurate as rifled slugs. It makes a guy wonder why they aren't still loaded in factory ammo, the only thing I can figure is safety through tight chokes. Rifled barrel shotguns are overrated from what I've seen. I've seen a few examples of true 150 yard guns, but never saw one shoot consistent 6" or smaller at 200 yards. I tried all kinds of fancy sabot slugs through my rifled guns, the best is my USH with Hornady SST's, but it's only good to 150 yards (any only certain LOTS on top of that). That gun shoots about 3" at 100 yards. The article I was reading was comparing rifled shotguns and muzzle loaders. They claim the AVERAGE 100 yard group is 2.54". That's total garbage, maybe a group here and there, but not an average over many guns. Muzzle loaders with modern bullets are capable of that accuracy, and 1.5 MOA is not unreasonable. The best I can figure, the downfall of shotgun slugs is the forcing cone. The regular forcing cone allows anything to be safely fired, but that much free bore can'be be doing anything good for accuracy, especially a 2 3/4" in a 3 1/2" chamber. Anyway, that's enough rambling, I'll link the article below.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...-muzzleloader/
    Every one of my slug guns clover leads many of my reloads at 100 yards.

Two shoots a fist sized group at 200 yards with Remington accutips (before I started reloading) and the other two I haven’t taken them out that far.

Boolit Grand Master

I've had the opposite experience. For rifled guns, I have an Ultra slug hunter, mossberg 500 cantilever barrel, and benelli nova cantilever barrel. My USH will shoot an average about 3" at 100 yards with certain lots of Hornady SST's. I can get close with BPI LBC sabot slugs and Longshot. I've been playing with 770 grain slugs this year, and they are barely on paper at 100 yards. My 500 and nova wont shoot as well, but they are good enough at 100 yards with most. My Nova actually shoots Remington slugger rifled slugs better than any sabot slug. I used to load Buckbuster slugs in it that shot about 4" at 100 yards, but they are no longer sold. I don't mess with the 500 much, I also have a smoothbore/rifle sight barrel for it that I use on it more. That smooth bore shoots round balls quite well, at least at 50 yards. I used to hunt with an NEF huntsman .50 muzzle loader, and now use a T/C Impact. Both will put Hornady FPB bullets inside 3" at 100 yards with open sights. This is the first year MN has allowed scopes on muzzleloaders, so I haven't even seen their real ability. That's been my experience anyway. My slug guns are very touchy, and the muzzle loaders shoot just about anything well. If my slug guns cloverleafed at 100 yards, I'd have nothing else to fiddle with, that is the ultimate goal. I know you shoot quite a bit, but in the fall when guys are sighting in their slug guns, I've not seen one clover leaf at 100 yards. Not that it can't be done, I just haven't seen it.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	208220Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	208219
    this aluminium mold is from russia, too
    weight is 35 g

Here’s Uncle D’s slugs at 100 yards.
    Remington accutips out of an 835 lead sled with 75lbs of lead shot. Just a hair shy of 200 yards.

Cluster of hammerhead sabots at 100 yards.

Banned

Blood, what was the reason the wad maker would not sell them to you? If the Russians can get them then we should be able to.

One guy said it was an ITAR issue, but I have no problems getting them from another guy in Russia.

I am trying to tame down the recoil of my Mossberg 500 Slug gun. Been looking at several methods of doing this. Different recoil pads aren't doing the trick.

One of the things that came up at Hans Vang's Website was extending the forcing cone and porting the barrel.

They claim half the Buckshot spread at 25 yards the stock barrel puts out at 15. This is all about the Forcing Cone and it also affects accuracy as the slug has a more gradual transition from chamber to bore, and is more likely to be concentric and thus produce better accuracy.

My gun is about 10" at 15 yards and more like 20" at 25 yards. 5" spread at 25 yards would be a definite improvement.

My M500 could definitely benefit from the Back Boring and Porting and I can do the porting in my shop, wondering how much of it is in the forcing cone? Maybe I'll call them.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Banned

So we just need to find a imported then to get them? Brenneke slugs are imported by someone in my town. Maybe I can get them to import them? Just have to find out who it is first

Name:	special wad.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	208351

Special WAD

ebay item #272951213028
    Last edited by HATCH; 11-25-2017 at 09:02 AM.

There you go! He's on Ebay. Gotta love those Russians.

Randy

[QUOTE=Collimators;4211984]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	special wad.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	208351

Special WAD

What seller?

Last edited by HATCH; 11-25-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Dang. Missed it.

Kraken Fan #69

write on ebay

Hey Blood Trail,

Do you have this mold? Can you tell me height of the slug alone and the stack height of this slug on one of the "special wads". I am looking to order one and just curious. Also if you have any good load data that would be great too.

Thanks,

Kraken Fan #69

Name:	Paradox.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	208563

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast