Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Re-Loading the 45 ACP

Boolit Buddy

Re-Loading the 45 ACP

I have re-loaded for many years but not for the 45ACP. Looking at several re-loading hand books the powder charge for a 230 Gr JHP is quite a bit less then for the FMJ of the same weight. Why is this the caser?

That's a good question. I guess they reached the pressure level sooner with the JHP. Myself, I've never varied the powder charge for the same weight bullet. I've loaded .45 ACP since 1980.

Boolit Grand Master

Could just be the different design of the bullet has more bearing length thus increasing pressures more for a standard charge.

Boolit Master
    Due to loading manual differences,,, they give different results with their chosen components. That is why I use a chronograph to determine exactly what I get. I've been loading my 45 ACP for over 20 years,,, and I've used my reloads in competition. A chrono is a must.

Boolit Master
    I can’t look right now, but are the OAL’s shorter for the JHP? Given the same bullet weight that means more cartridge space consumed by the bullet, less room for powder expansion and therefore higher pressure. Just a guess.

Boolit Grand Master

Also a hollow point of the same weight may be a longer bullet seating in the case deeper for the OAL. Bullet shape and ogive may also play a part in this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Also a hollow point of the same weight may be a longer bullet seating in the case deeper for the OAL. Bullet shape and ogive may also play a part in this.
    My thoughts as well

Boolit Grand Master
    Between Osteodoc08 and Country gent you have your answer. The cavity lengthens the bullet, requiring it to be seated a bit deeper in the case to stay within design parameters and especially in the 45, the bearing surface is also usually larger. These features combine to raise the pressure and the recommended loads are therefore reduced.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    I have re-loaded for many years but not for the 45ACP. Looking at several re-loading hand books the powder charge for a 230 Gr JHP is quite a bit less then for the FMJ of the same weight. Why is this the caser?
    Most often the reason is because of seating depth, length of bearing surface and hardness of the jacket alloy. All those factors can vary the psi. As mentioned on another thread cartridge AOL (seating depth) and it's affect is very misunderstood. If you work up the load, as you should, chronographing and watching for obvious pressure signs, and stop when you've equaled the velocity level w/o pressure signs using the same powder and bullet then the exact seating depth/AOL is moot.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Because lawyers...

I never really understood how the powder knows what type of boolit you have loaded up. So then 230gr is 230gr in my book. The only difference might be along the lines of lead vs J-words...

But if you stop and think about it, it does make sense about the cavity making the bullet longer so to fit into your gun you need to sit it deeper, thus reducing your load similar to a heavier load that would be solid AND longer.

I noticed this with 44 mag and .45 acp and the various lengths that I have found in the load books. Seems legit.
    Last edited by Stilly; 11-20-2017 at 06:11 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 45 ACP is a really good cartridge with which to Learn The Ropes On for autopistol reloading. Pressures are docile, barrel twist rates are optimized for the bullets being used, and the 45 ACP is VERY lead-friendly. Most 45 ACP platforms are greatly over-built and over-strength for the cartridge they are processing, too. I recall some years back about a couple friends of mine at the Cal-DOJ Labs in Riverside did some fixture-firing of destruction-bound 1911A1 pistols in 45 ACP. Using GI brass and 230 grain FMJ bullets--WITH DOUBLE CHARGES OF BULLSEYE--the pistols ran for dozens and dozens of rounds without apparent difficulty. The brass got flung a country mile, and had "blevied" aspect to the case portion that overlay the unsupported portion of the chamber--but the system functioned. I do not post this as License To Get Creative with 45 ACP reloading, but to relate that a little wiggle room exists with the 1911A1s. The old Crown Victorias also have service lengths when used as 1) family cars 2) police vehicles or 3) NASCAR platforms. Just sayin'. Nobody should "NASCAR" their everyday-driver. The same deference should be given to your everyday-carry sideiron/holsterplastik.

The 9mm, 40 Short & Weak, and the 10mm are the polar opposites of all these "gentle & forgiving" factors. Their operating environments are that of high-powered rifles in all respects, and similar cautions to those taken with bolt rifles and gas guns need to be adhered to VERY closely. Most critical is cartridge overall length--Speer has for several edition of their catalog published info regarding the 9mm Luger to this effect, paraphrased here--"Intentionally eating a 9mm bullet just .030" deeper in the case caused pressures to jump from 32K (PSI or CUP) to 62K (PSI or CUP)". Be careful out there.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.