Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recoil

Boolit Master

Recoil

As I get older, I find it harder to deal with recoil. Never bothered me before, as I shot highpower for many years. Padded shooting jacket doesn't do it any more. What do you older guys use between the stock & your shoulder??? I see PAST recoil pads, just wondering if they work?? Am open to any suggestions. Would like to keep shooting my old military rifles but find the punishment cancels out the fun.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Boolit Master
    I have seen folks use these types before, but have no personal experience.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Slip.../dp/B00542J5QO

Perhaps that is something to consider?

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy

Bought one of those for the FR8 (it bites old collar bone injuries ) then bought a couple more for long strings with the Garand and M!A .I'd rather be a recoil sissy than an observer
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    I have seen folks use these types before, but have no personal experience.
    https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Slip.../dp/B00542J5QO

Perhaps that is something to consider?

G'Luck!
    "The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Arms (and others) offer leather lace-on pads that look good on old levers or single shots.

Banned

I,ve been using the Pachmayr Decelerator slip on. Big difference. Get them on E-BAY, about 20.00

I can recommend the slip on pads and use them on 303 british , 8mm mauser ,308 (98 Mauser) .They put the pleasure back and reduce unwanted flinches .
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Grand Master

I have a past shield and use it occasionally but find it a little restrictive at times. I also have a couple limb saver slip on leather pads that see use. The problem with them is the increase in length of pull they cause. But they work well. The past shield is just bigger than my shoulder.

Boolit Master
    I too have become more recoil sensitive, which is one reason I enjoy shooting reduced cast loads in a couple of rifles. For others, I use the PAST pad that's about 1/2" thick. I didn't get the thicker one because I figured it would alter the length of pull too much. The half-inch pad has worked well for me with milsurp rifles using military ammo.

Boolit Master
    The Limbsaver pad let me keep my Benelli Super90.

Boolit Master

I got rear ended by a commercial truck and broke my neck in 4 places. I have been told recoil is a no no for another year at best. I still shoot my old war horses using trailboss. If you are not trying to get a Garand to cycle you can come up with some great loads. They look at me funny when I get to the 100 yard line and set my Mosin's sight at 200. I only shoot out to 200 yards so I don't know if these loads would be usable beyond that distance. When i get the OK from the Doc I will still use these loads as they are a blast.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

I am not yet an oldster, but I am also by no means a recoil junky. I shoot the 30-06 as little as possible with full hunting loads, for example, as I don't find it pleasant at all. When I have to shoot it to sight it in, I have one of those bean bag type portable rests that they sell in sporting goods stores inexpensively and I put it between the stock and my shoulder. A little awkward, but it REALLY cancels out the recoil. If I cared enough to do so, I would probably try to make/alter a slip on pad filled with small size lead shot to do the same thing in a neater, less clumsy way.

Mostly, though, I enjoy shooting reduced loads in more powerful rifles and lower recoil cartridges. The 5 pound 44 mag lever I own starts to hurt my should about 2/3 of the way through a box of full power shells. With cast cowboy action cartridges/Trail Boss type loads, I can blaze away as long as I like and they are really accurate. I shoot a lot of 38 special out of a 357 lever, and some 357 out of it. The 357 has totally manageable recoil even with heavy loads, the 38s are like shooting a 22. I have just as much fun shooting these as higher powered rifles, and I don't beat up my shoulder.

The only place I have not yet figured out a good solution is with trap shooting, although 7/8 oz. loads help a lot.

Boolit Master

slip on pads, better pads period, lighter loads, and muzzle brakes are about the choices to reduce recoil.

Boolit Buddy
    I have just had a 300 H&H put together, at the time of construction I made mention of fitting a muzzle brake and I got shouted down, how dare I fit such a thing to a classic, but I am the one with the back and nerve damage and it is my rifle so the brake gets fitted next week and if that is not enough I will have a recoil reducer fitted as well.

Regards Trevor

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Slow the load down and/or use a lighter bullet. Both can make a big difference and the slip on pads help too.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I can relate . I agree with the slip on pad . Bout 3 years ago took the old Mossin and shot bout 20 rounds and layed it down . It was a wake up call , shoulder was hurting and wasn't much 'fun' . Arthritis , rotor cup damage came to awareness . Got a slip on and still shooting that rifle , could be a 30/06 or whatever but will help .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    I use the past particularly for shooting from the bench. They are effective in reducing felt recoil.

Banned

switch to plain base molds.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    switch to plain base molds.
    Love it!

Boolit Master
    I like the Limbsaver recoil pads.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Moderator Emeritus

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...d-ambidextrous after 2 rotator cuff surgeries recoil is a no-no! That mellows it a LOT!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast