RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything

Thread: Got me a Marlin 1895 ABL

Boolit Buddy

Got me a Marlin 1895 ABL

Managed to find one at a decent price and didn't have the heart to let it go. This is an obscure model, basically a black version of the stainless SBL without the rail on top. I may end up getting the ABL rail anyways.

But first things first... I need to shop for two bullet molds, one for regular plinking rounds and something for brown bear and moose defense. Would anybody here care to make a recommendation?

What is the difference between the ABL and the GBL?
    The ABL has run about $100 more than the GBL when I have seen it for sale online. I have just never seen one in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Don, my target mold is the RCBS 45-300 and my hunting is the 330 gr. Lyman gould but this may be light for moose and large bear. You may want to look at a good 405 gr. Mold for that.
    Endeavor to persevere

Got pics? We love Marlins.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    What is the difference between the ABL and the GBL?
    The ABL has run about $100 more than the GBL when I have seen it for sale online. I have just never seen one in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I hate that alphabet soup. The ABL was a limited run Marlin did for an specific company, the only difference between them is that the ABL has the same grey furniture as the stainless SBL. To make it more confusing I'll eventually get the SBL rail and trigger knob, turning it into a black SBL.

For bear I'm thinking a fatter bullet. This is for bear protection not bear hunting, so over penetration is everything. They can take a lung shot, kill you, walk a mile, and dig a nest before they remember to die, so your best hope is to break a shoulder. Range would be inside of 75 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    I would recommend the mp molds 462 hammer. However I don't know if it's still available. It comes with 3 different hp pins and a flat nose. So far I've only tried the flat nose and the paper likes it out of a 1895 gbl

Boolit Bub
    My friend shoots a 405 gr. bullet and loves it.

Boolit Bub
    My favorite load in my 1895 CB is 11 grains of Rail Boss behind a plain base 405 lead bullet. The 200 yard gong doesn't have a chance, of course is a slight wait between the bullet leaving the barrel and hitting the gong.

Boolit Master
    When I got my 19896 CB I got LEE 330 AND 405 gr molds to see how it would shoot. They both work fine. Started out with minimum Tro=ail Boss loads. Lots of fun with minimal recoil. Have also tried 5744 .