Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mauser 7.62 x 39 project.....Your Thoughts

I love that stock, Clark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Brazilian 1894 in 7.62x39. The bolt face was bushed for the smaller cartridge rim. The extractor was lengthened. It feeds fine from the stock magazine as long as I place the cartridges at the back of the magazine. The barrel is a Douglas 1x14 twist premium medium weight 24" barrel. I normally hunt with a Williams peep rear. It has a Leopold one piece base for mounting a Leopold 6x when necessary. I hunt with Remington 170 gr RN 30-30 bullets over a stiff charge of RL-7. My match load when I shot in the NRA Sporting Rifle Matches was an RCBS 168gr bullet over IMR 3031 in Remington small rifle brass and Winchester primers.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Attachment 212297 I modified an 1894 Mauser to use WASR single stack magazines. I used a .308 bore barrel because I only shoot handloads, and I like that there's more bullet selections in this caliber. I chambered it with a Lapua spec. reamer. I've only shot J word bullets through it, but it prints 1" groups at 100yds. Because it is a bolt action I can load ammo with slower powders that I'd use in my SKS. This gives me better velocity with less pressure. So far the rifle likes BL-C2 best.

Super Moderator

..............I used a couple FN made small ring Mausers originally used for the M94 Brazilian carbines.

The barrel came from GPC with the feed kit (magazine blocker and shorter follower). Stock was inletted for the action and with a .5" bbl channel. I don't recall at this point if it was from GPC also or not. The follower was plastic and probably came out of AK magazines. I ended up shortening a steel follower.

This photo shows the ejector extension needed to kick the cases out earlier in the extraction process. Without it, the cases are pulled back far enough so that when ejected they can hit the right edge of the bridge and fall on the rounds in the magazine. It also shows the brass piece added to the follower to bias the last round over toward the right siderail. Otherwise, the narrower 7.62x39 case can pop out. I made no modifications to the extractor. The nylon block supplied to shorten the length of the magazine box would move forward under recoil and interfere with the follower. The simple expedient was to drill through the rear of the mag box, countersink and then run a wood screw through into the nylon block. No more drifting around

A better picture of the action. I drilled and taped for the receiver sight, jeweled the bolt and welded on a new bolt handle. The barrel is .300" x .308" so I do not fire surplus or factory ammo which may contain bullets of .310" to .312" depending upon where it came from and when it came in.

(LEFT) 7.62x39 28.0 surp 4895, Lee C312-155-2R, 2018 fps. (RIGHT)7.62x39 & WC846 using Lee C309-160R for 25.0 = 1948 & 26.0 = 1999

The other SR modification was put up in 35 Remington. The action was from the same source as the above rifle. The stock was from Ramline or similar source. I don't recall WHO but it was on sale for $39 and I DO remember that!

No modifications were made to the follower, extractor or the ejector. It operates superbly. Both the rifle are very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

These are from the 35 Rem:

4 loads with 35 Rem using Rem 200 gr C-L jacketed and WC846. 39.0 = 2140, 40.0 = 2271, 40.5 = 2272, 41.0 = 2334

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master

Buckshot, I know you have posted your story of these M94 actions before and I believe you posted one about a Steyr M95 you did in 30-30. I especially like the 35 Rem Mauser. I’m having one made up and can’t wait to get it back. All this to say, I never get tired of how you “repurpose” these milsurps.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12