Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pickup trucks?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I have a 4dr Tundra as my daily driver and a full size 4 dr chevy as a work truck. The chevy is a pain to park after driving the Tundra. If I can talk her into a Tacoma, I think that will do all they want, but might look at the F-150 too. Only drawback to the Tacoma is that I won't be able to fit in it if everyone goes out to eat (too tall, I don't fit)

Thanks for the advice.
    That is the reason I got the Tundra. That and I don't drive it enough to be concerned about gas mileage.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Another vote for Toyota! I have a 2006 Tundra, four door, four wheel drive, auto transmission, lots of bells and whistles. I was looking for a Tacoma and spotted this (three year old) Tundra in a guy's yard with a for sale sign. Looked at it, got it checked by my mechanic and bought it. I do not KNOW what the gas mileage is. I do know around town it burns gas, lots of gas!!! On the highway it gets pretty good mileage (my estimation). We also own a Toyota Highlander that we drive around town. It is a 2004 and was four years old when we bought it. Both machines have been (and are) dependable and not unreasonable to maintain. We do put many more miles on the Highlander than on the Tundra. Toyotas hold their resale value very well.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I would recommend the Toyota Tacoma 4 door. I am on my third one. Great mileage, looks, and dependability.

Boolit Master
    Another happy Toyota owner here. Love my Tacoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Moderator Emeritus

I like this thread, learned something about the newer small pickups.

ANYWAY...
    Myself, I've had a couple small pickups years ago (Jeep Commanche and Dodge dakota) and friends have had older ford baby rangers and the little Toyotas. They are kinda fun...BUT, IMHO, if you need a truck, you need a truck, a full size truck. If you don't need a truck, but have some needs as the OP mentions, a small SUV for a good hitch and utility trailer is probably a better solution than a small pickup.

Right now, I'm driving a Toyota Matrix, which is kinda of a "tiny" SUV. The 1.8l 4cyl engine powers this 4 door wagon with AWD just fine, and has a receiver hitch for installing a cargo carrier or small trailer...pulls it just fine if I don't put too much weight on the tongue.
    Love the Toyota engines.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Another vote for Colorado.....and I hate pickups. I've owned nothing but full size vans since 1977. This is wifey's, 2016, Z-71 extended cab with extended bed. Not a small truck, by any stretch of the imagination. She wanted it for hauling kayak's.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030772.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	207471

It will hold four adults, comfortably, five if you must. She drove back to Michigan, this Summer and averaged 25 mpg....not bad for a 305 HP V-6 that can **** and Get. Handles better than my 72 Chevelle SS. BTW, plenty of leg room in the front, I'm 6'1".

We ordered it new, with my GM retiree discount. A comparably equipped Silverado would be 10K more.

Winelover
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 11-12-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    . If you don't need a truck, but have some needs as the OP mentions, a small SUV for a good hitch and utility trailer is probably a better solution than a small pickup.
    That was my choice - 2002 Suzuki XL7 - and I don't own the trailer - just U-haul rental when needed.

Wife has Full size Town & Country in which the seats fold to make a flat floor that will haul 18 cu ft upright freezer on it's side.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I had a 1969 F-100 and drove it for 39 years, over hauled a 302 engine and installed it myself when the truck was six years old. It came with a huge inline six that couldn't climb a cigarette butt. I drove that truck across the U.S. three times and it seldom gave me any trouble. When something failed such as a solenoid, points or regulator you could trouble shoot the problem in a few minutes. It had twin I-beams and they never got out of alignment and the tires wore straight across with no ware on the outside or inside. I loved that truck and only sold it because we moved to a senior community and I had no place to park it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steelshooter View Post
    Toyota tacoma basic model. 4 doors, 5 spd. tranny, 28 mpg city, 31 highway. Extremely reliable.
    Second this advice.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Master

well I have a 2006 ford f250 cc short box 4x4 and can get 20mpg on the road and it weights 8900 lbs as I have it setup and can tow 12,000 lbs
    I also have a 2014 gmc denali cc short box 4x4 and get around 18 mpg on the road, both are diesels
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12