Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pickup trucks?

Boolit Grand Master

pickup trucks?

SIL might be changing jobs in his company and will lose his company truck. They are thinking of trading off his car and getting a small pickup. Would need to haul two adults, baby and medium sized dog sometimes.

Would like decent mileage, tow a smallish boat possibly and haul yard waste. So, 4 door a must.

Opinions? Also, no variable drive transmissions, prefer to have the feel of the shift.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Small pickups, even with the extended cab and "suicide doors", don't have enough space for the medium size dog plus the baby IMHO. I am currently driving a Nissan Frontier which I got when Ford discontinued their Rangers. The Frontier gets 25% poorer gas mileage than any of my previous Rangers but it was still better than the other small pickups (or any medium sized) three years ago. I use my truck for business as well as fun so put on a lot of long distance miles making me well aware of the gas mileage situation. The amenities for the Nissan were far superior to any of my previous Rangers. Nissan was the only brand to offer a standard transmission (5 speed) at the time which I thought was important and still do.

Boolit Buddy
    Toyota tacoma basic model. 4 doors, 5 spd. tranny, 28 mpg city, 31 highway. Extremely reliable.

Banned
    If he can live with a small truck a Taco would be the choice

Boolit Master

I wish they would bring the small trucks back. I want a lean green redneck mobile. Picture a Prias and El camino hybrid with 12 inches of ground clearance.....I digressed... I have had my eyes on new Tacoma for years. Its the smallest truck I can find. I hear they have great gas mileage. I currently drive the 2003 dodge Dakota Quad cab with a V8. My step dad used it for 4 years hauling his giant Mako boat. I have had it the last 10 years. I have driven the wheels off it and put them back on and gas mileage has been great for an average 20 MPG. Fits me, wife and 3 kids. Lots of space when they where smaller but now they are teenagers so its a slight squeeze for all three in the back seat. Only thing I hate is its a 2WD. I have had to sleep twice in the woods because of sand pits and getting stuck. I am carefull in it, but some muddy back woods trails of had me on edge. Redneck tip*** hydro plane across the mud. Cons of tip... watch out for cattle gates. Wife was pissed but I fixed the radiator and went home. Replaced the bumper and still haven't fixed the hood or grill. Scars add character even on trucks. I don't care about amenities or technology. I just want it to run and be reliable.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

4 door Dakotas with the 318 used to be nice.
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Banned

Colorado

Depending on budget, Toyota is number one.
    Now don’t laugh, but if you can find a late model Suzuki Equater they are just dressed down Nissan Frontier’s, but sell for a LOT less.
    Then Nissan.
    Then Chevy. The Colorado’s are better now, but if looking at used, avoid the inline five cylinder.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Toyota's are nice, gotta following and the prices show it. You can put a lot of miles on a Nissan for a lot less money than a Toyota. Cheaper to repair too. Resale isn't as high but neither is the buy-in. That said...

Get a full size truck and be done with it.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Moderator Emeritus

F150 extended cab, get above 2009 or so they push 20mpg in a 2wd model(4wd is a waste unless conditions require it, like heavy snow or mud and even in snow my 2wd does well with 300 pounds back by the tailgate). My 2001 F150 can seat 4 adults if needed(cramped in back behind me, I need legroom up front so seat is all the way back), split bench so passenger front can be moved forward for more rear legroom. 5.4 Triton V8 that has been reliable, at 150k miles now. 6 1/2 foot box so it can haul a full sheet of plywood with the tailgate down. I paid $3800 for it in 2014 with 113k miles on it. It is a rust bucket but came out of Minneapolis and roads there are white with salt in winter.

Banned

I think they replaced the 318 with the 4.7 and called them the sport.
    I have the 4.7 in my 1500 and it does pretty much what you want.
    it pulls my 16' aluminum boat, hauls stuff, and pulls my little 5X8' trailer to the dump when necessary.
    it also wheels pretty good in the mud and stuff and handles snow well.
    we have had the daughters great dane in the back seat with an adult.
    it gets up near 24 on flat ground and about 18 in town if you drive it reasonably well.

my biggest complaint at 160-K is I don't like how the headlights are aimed.

Full-sized Silverado Crew Cab. Go big or go home.

Been a Ford shop truck guy for a longtime.Those old 2wd straight sixes,straight drives.

Around the time Ford finally dropped that completely ignorant twin I beam Fr suspension,say around '05,the result was,wait for it ................. they swallowed the stupid pill on how to engineer a clutch.But,then Chevy quit putting them in Silverado's.

So,if I had to go straight drive,would go Toyota.

Styling and Chevy vs Ford vs Mopar ain't worth the time and effort to discuss.If it lites your synapses,and you're aware of their"built in" issues....snag one.

I personally HATE pickups.Been "riding" in them from a shopworld standpoint my whole life.A freakin used 6 series BMW is cheaper than PU's round here.Yeah,BM's are a little womanly,make it a Merc,Lincoln,Caddy.... it's on principle.

Boolit Grand Master

Get a full size 4 door truck of whatever flavor you like. If you are in a place with few dealers, choose a brand with a dealer near you. Most of them offer a choice in engines and most of the medium size ones get decent mileage. My Wife's Expedition gets 19 to 21 MPG and has around 350HP. My Super Duty Diesel gets 18 or so, even at turn pike speeds. A recent 900+ mile trip with 400 miles of that trip carrying 1-1/2 tons of lead in the back averaged 18.4 for the trip. Whatever you get, get the trailer package. The hitch, built in trailer brake control, extra cooling and transmission cooler are worth it.

Boolit Master

Full size Tundra. Can be cheaper than Tacoma if you shop. Mine is basic model without all the bells & whistles that run PU's into $50K+ range.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Steelshooter View Post
    Toyota tacoma basic model. 4 doors, 5 spd. tranny, 28 mpg city, 31 highway. Extremely reliable.
    Beat me to it!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I have a '16 Chevy Colorado extended cab V-6 4x4. It does all I ask of it. For the same money I could have a Ford F-150....and get better fuel economy, but I would be looking at maintaining a turbo for 10 yrs.
    Don't rule out full sized trucks unless you just prefer the small ones. The price difference is negligible, and the fuel economy savings are non-existent.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 4dr Tundra as my daily driver and a full size 4 dr chevy as a work truck. The chevy is a pain to park after driving the Tundra. If I can talk her into a Tacoma, I think that will do all they want, but might look at the F-150 too. Only drawback to the Tacoma is that I won't be able to fit in it if everyone goes out to eat (too tall, I don't fit)

Thanks for the advice.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I agree with the statement about full size trucks and fuel savings as opposed to the smaller trucks! Tacoma is a fine truck. If it's strictly for you, then find you an old Dodge with a Cummins diesel in it, do a few things for reliability, and drive it till you die! AND, get 20+ mpg if you drive sensible! Case in point; instead of a 60K new truck, I put 17K in a rebuild on my 2002 Dodge diesel truck, it now has 401 rwhp and gets 21 mpg if you keep your foot off the black smoke pedal! It's a quad cab so the little boys( raising my grandsons after my son passed away) can ride along. Good luck in whatever you decide! ( plus the cool factor is off the chart when you blow the doors off a 79K sports car!,) i digressed..... sorry.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    What is the white truck the ragheads mount machine guns on? Toyotas? Works for them.....

My youngest son has a Tacoma. And it is really nice.f I ever am able to get another it will probably be a Toyota. The last five or six vehicles I and my wife had were either Toyota or Nissan. Due to our health we had to trade from cars to SUV's because it was easier to get in and out of them. I got another Toyota and she got another Nissan.
    Last edited by Tom W.; 11-09-2017 at 01:01 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast