Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realistic range for an AR-10 16”?

Realistic range for an AR-10 16”?

Black Friday sales are starting up and I’m thinking I might like a variable power scope on my AR. I’ve got my SHTF/end all be all optic already, this is just cheap fun to stretch its legs once in a while.
    So how far am I shooting this thing accurately? How much magnification is realistic? At the moment I’m eyeing a Bushnell AR 3-12x40 that Cabela’s is going to have on sale for $100 with a Herters mount thrown in.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

You should be good at 200yd. with that rig.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

So 3-12 is drastic overkill.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

About 250 yds with 100 zero. X9 is tough to do more than 100 for tight groups. I use a x18 on mine.
    Whatever!

In Remembrance
    Accurate range will depend on several factors. Ammo, optics, condition of your shooting iron, etc. The most important thing will be the shooter themselves. If the person doing the shooting is proficient, 300 - 400 yds. are doable. To accomplish this range will require some regular practice at desired ranges. What someone can do at 100yds does not mean that they can do it at 400 yds. As for the 3x12 scope, in my opinion will work just fine. Keep your range reasonable, you should have no trouble putting meat on the table. most weapons can out shoot the shooter. Their is no substitute for trigger time to become as one with your piece. Good hunting, be safe, enjoy your time afield. Don't forget to practice.

I was hoping you’d chime in, popper. Why so much magnification, are you bullseye shooting? This is a playtoy, possible deer rifle and a “just in case, just because SHTF might happen and I can get ammo for it!” Right now I have a Vortex Spitfire 1x on it, virtually bullet proof, illuminated and an etched reticle. Pretty near perfect for its intended role. As I said, the scope would just be for fun so I have no problem going cheap it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Whittler View Post
    Accurate range will depend on several factors. Ammo, optics, condition of your shooting iron, etc. The most important thing will be the shooter themselves. If the person doing the shooting is proficient, 300 - 400 yds. are doable. To accomplish this range will require some regular practice at desired ranges. What someone can do at 100yds does not mean that they can do it at 400 yds. As for the 3x12 scope, in my opinion will work just fine. Keep your range reasonable, you should have no trouble putting meat on the table. most weapons can out shoot the shooter. Their is no substitute for trigger time to become as one with your piece. Good hunting, be safe, enjoy your time afield. Don't forget to practice.
    This rifle has proven several times it can out shoot me! I’ve no idea why so many people are down on DPMS, they really make a fine gun!
    Again, the scope would just be for fun and probably just punch paper unless my son wants to use it. But even then all the places we’d hunt would be iron sight ranges, maybe 125yds, and that’s pushing it! So I’ve no problem using the Vortex for that duty, I know and trust it, if that makes any sense?

Boolit Buddy
    Are we talking 308 winchester here, if so with the proper scope I would not hesitate to shoot it out to 600-700 yards for fun and 300-400 for hunting with the proper bullet.

Yes, AR-10 in .308/7.62x51 NATO.

Boolit Master

depends what you are trying to achieve. if you want to shoot tiny groups or prarrie dogs or other small targets 12x is smallish. if you just want to hit something like silhouettes at a few hundred yards, 12x is more than plenty.

Boolit Grand Master

For a second scope for "playing" I would recommend 6-18 with a good parallax adjustment. This will allow adjusting for mirage when needed and for different ranges. 3-12 is good also. For shtf I would look at 1-4 or 2-7, or even a good set of iron sights. Don't discount the Military style iron sights with rear peep and front blade. I have used them with good results out to 1000yds. ( M1A/M14 and garand). Just something to think about. A 16" 308 with good barrel and properly assembled should be good for 600 yds or so and 300-400 with a solid rest on game. The draw back to the iron sights with the 16" barrel is going to be the short sight radious. Also the "clicks" may not be what they say they are due to the shorter sight radious.

Banned

If you want to know what your 16 inch barrel is doing at distance just chrono the load you're using and punch it into a ballistics calculater. Many can be found on the internet. They you'll know velocity, energy, trajectory, and much more. Just because a barrel is shorter doesn't mean the accuracy drops as the barrel length drops.

I never feel I'm over scoped. I appreciate the higher power.

I shoot 2 16 inch carbine, both are .223......I use a 1x4 on my modified carbine and irons on my service rifle.....both rifle get shot out t,o 600 yards..... the carbines are little better at close ranges (like under 300 yards) but the rifles (20 inch barrels) are better out to 800 yards.....

Go with a low power scope , it makes for quick target acquisition.........I personally like my irons......I can score well into the 280's with several X's with my irons at my local John granard match......and hold my own with the guys running scopes....

Aaron

Don't need a spotting scope. Actually was intending to be able to shoot long range, hasn't happened. Drop gets pretty severe after 250, I also use steel one piece mount. I have a 3x9 on the 30/30, holes are hard to see at 100.
    Whatever!

Banned
    I had no problem ringing an 8" gong every shot at 600 yards with my 16" DPMS 308 using German Issue mil-spec ammo shooting off bags. Early in the AM, no wind, no mirage. Scope is a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 mildot.

Upgraded match trigger is only mod.

It's not the barrel length ----- it's the nut behind the bolt !

Banned

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	308cut03op.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	207476

I've shot 500 yard F-T/R matches with a 16" 5.56 AR and a Nikon 3-9X BDC reticle scope. To make it even more fun, the rifle was zeroed at 100yds and I was shooting through the BDC.

You should have little problem putting rounds on a man sized target at 5-600 yards with a decent 3-9X on your 308.

Boolit Master
    I use a SWFA 10x on my 26” 308 bolt, I shoot out to 800 a lot with it and 1200 on a couple occasions with it. How far do you want to shoot?
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    I use a SWFA 10x on my 26” 308 bolt, I shoot out to 800 a lot with it and 1200 on a couple occasions with it. How far do you want to shoot?
    I dunno? I was seeing how far others thought it might go and match a scope to that.

Boolit Grand Master

With the 16" barrel you will go subsonic around 800 yards with the highest BC bullets. Less on light lower BC bullets. Some bullets tend to become unstable going through the transition and accuracy goes way south.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-11-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast