Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 Trajectory For Deer

Boolit Master

45-70 Trajectory For Deer

This Saturday starts our rifle deer season here in Missouri. And I just got a scope mounted on my Browning 1885 in 45-70. I am shooting 300 grain gas checked flat nosed cast projectiles from an RCBS mold over 45.0 grains of IMR-4198, and have it sighted in with this new Leopold scope for 100 yards to hit right-on. But I didn't shoot it for any other distances and won't be able to before that critical day. Does anybody know about where this load will hit at maybe 100 feet and 200 feet from the muzzle? I don't know how to calculate trajectories and usually just shoot them at different distances. But this time I didn't get a chance.

Velocity figures would be helpful, any ballistic calculation without it is just GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out) and basically a WAG. . .

I figured your velocity was around 1900 fps and here is the data based on that velocity with a scope mounted 1.5 inches above the bore.
    50 yards----+.78 inch
    100 yards---0
    150 yards -4.63
    200 yards -14.07
    250 yards -29.46

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    I figured your velocity was around 1900 fps and here is the data based on that velocity with a scope mounted 1.5 inches above the bore.
    50 yards----+.78 inch
    100 yards---0
    150 yards -4.63
    200 yards -14.07
    250 yards -29.46
    From what I remember this is very close.
    I tried to no avail to work out the rainbow arc by getting a couple of different 300gr j-words to over 2000fps.
    Benny

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    50 yards----+.78 inch
    100 yards---0
    150 yards -4.63
    200 yards -14.07
    250 yards -29.46
    Thank you very much knifemaker, this was exactly what I needed. I realize the projectile velocity is a guess not allowing precise calculation of trajectory, but I am just deer hunting and have a lot of space to play here. Basically for shooting deer then I can hold right on out to 130 or so yards, and then start holding over for longer distances. Of course I will just be guessing at the range anyway shooting across the fields. But in the woods I could probably hold right-on within visual range. I appreciate your help.

Boolit Master
    for all the low-n-slow calibers; they are pretty much within a minute-of-deer out to 125yards. (with a 100yd zero)

Boolit Master
    My Marlin 1895 shooting a NOE 460-350- FN sighted in at 100yd with a 2x7 Leupold at 1400 FPS and is dead on at 200yd using bottom post (Duplex) all day long !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    Thank you very much knifemaker, this was exactly what I needed. I realize the projectile velocity is a guess not allowing precise calculation of trajectory, but I am just deer hunting and have a lot of space to play here. Basically for shooting deer then I can hold right on out to 130 or so yards, and then start holding over for longer distances. Of course I will just be guessing at the range anyway shooting across the fields. But in the woods I could probably hold right-on within visual range. I appreciate your help.
    This kind of attitude bothers me. Please don’t shoot past where you KNOW where your impact will be. Have some respect for the game you’re hunting and please don’t risk wounding anything.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    I own and hunt with 45-70's. I really like the caliber but it has some drawbacks. It's like lobbing a mortar after 100 yards or so. If you're hunting where your shots are limited to 125 or less it's not a problem. If you're going to be hunting where you can shoot beyond that get a range finder. You can get a decent one right now for around a hundred bucks or a bit over at places like Cabela's. They're selling the Bushnell for just a bit over a hundred and I picked one up to have a spare. I've compared it to my top of the line Leupold and it's dead on for distance. Once you know your trajectory and distance, it's all up to you to make the shot....but at least you're not guessing. If you're sitting and watching, pick out a couple of landmarks and range them ahead of time. If you get a shot then you'll be ready. Good luck.

A find muzzle velocity for your load.

B Use ballistics program to make a cheat sheet for your rifle.

C Laminate it and tape it to the buttstock.

D When in doubt, wait for a better or closer shot.

I don't hunt any more but I have one made up for my .444marlin single shot. And another for the Mosin. Does not take that much to do. And if you need it, you need it with you.

Your load should more or less duplicate Winchester 300 gr factory load. Look up that trajectory data and verify that it matches then put out survey flags on your field at known distances. Definitely helps to have your drop chart taped to the stock but remover to remove the tape before the glue gums up the wood each year. Good hunting.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    This kind of attitude bothers me. Please don’t shoot past where you KNOW where your impact will be. Have some respect for the game you’re hunting and please don’t risk wounding anything.
    Well, I sure thank everybody for your recommendations on deer hunting with my Browning 1885 in 45-70, 300 grain cast gas checked RCBS projectiles over 45.0 grains of IMR-4198. I finally waited until a deer was well within range and shot it. It was a medium sized doe that came up out of the creek behind my tree stand and walked right under me. So, I waited until it got out from under the tree stand and shot it. At about 2 yards as it looked right up at me when I cocked the hammer. That 300 grain projectile completely shredded the entire dear, as the projectile entered its forehead and passed completely through the body and out the tail, blowing pieces of backbone out the sides and into the front and hind quarters with nothing left of the tenderloins. What was left when I picked it up by the feet was about 40 pounds as the guts and all fell out the bottom. So, maybe this wasn't a good idea to hunt with this caliber. Maybe I better go back to using my 338 Win Mag with jacketed bullets as I have been much more successful shooting deer with that out over the soy bean fields at 200 or 300 yards and leave this cast lead projectile hunting for you far more experienced hunters.

Boolit Master
    If you don’t like what I said, please reread your initial question and try to understand why I said what I said. You admitted you did not know the trajectory of your load, and did not know where it would hit at various ranges. To me, that is the equivalent of going hunting with a weapon you have not practiced with enough to be proficient and have not even properly sighted it in. That is, in my book, about as irresponsible, feel free to read that as CRUEL, as it gets. Paper is for plinking at, animals are not.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

Sorry it didn't work out for you, but it was no fault of the boolit. The 338 Mag would have made a quite a mess as well at two yards. Next time, wait for a better angle. If it does not present itself, don't take the shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Sorry it didn't work out for you, but it was no fault of the boolit. The 338 Mag would have made a quite a mess as well at two yards. Next time, wait for a better angle. If it does not present itself, don't take the shot.
    I think he needed to have the purple font on.
    This looks like it may turn into a peeing contest.

At two yards I aim for the brown part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Well, I sure thank everybody for your recommendations on deer hunting with my Browning 1885 in 45-70, 300 grain cast gas checked RCBS projectiles over 45.0 grains of IMR-4198. I finally waited until a deer was well within range and shot it. It was a medium sized doe that came up out of the creek behind my tree stand and walked right under me. So, I waited until it got out from under the tree stand and shot it. At about 2 yards as it looked right up at me when I cocked the hammer. That 300 grain projectile completely shredded the entire dear, as the projectile entered its forehead and passed completely through the body and out the tail, blowing pieces of backbone out the sides and into the front and hind quarters with nothing left of the tenderloins. What was left when I picked it up by the feet was about 40 pounds as the guts and all fell out the bottom. So, maybe this wasn't a good idea to hunt with this caliber. Maybe I better go back to using my 338 Win Mag with jacketed bullets as I have been much more successful shooting deer with that out over the soy bean fields at 200 or 300 yards and leave this cast lead projectile hunting for you far more experienced hunters.
    Anybody goes hunting with rifle owes it to the animal to be aware of what happens when you pull the trigger ,@ that yardage at least wait for 10-12 more to get in line so you have some meat or better yet let the deer walk out to where you can place the shot between the front meat and the rear meat while avoiding the top meat, that leaves the vitals (kill area) . If not possible let it walk ! just sayin Ed

Boolit Master
    This Saturday starts our rifle deer season here in Missouri. And I just got a scope mounted on my Browning 1885 in 45-70. I am shooting 300 grain gas checked flat nosed cast projectiles from an RCBS mold over 45.0 grains of IMR-4198, and have it sighted in with this new Leopold scope for 100 yards to hit right-on. But I didn't shoot it for any other distances and won't be able to before that critical day. Does anybody know about where this load will hit at maybe 100 feet and 200 feet from the muzzle? I don't know how to calculate trajectories and usually just shoot them at different distances. But this time I didn't get a chance.
    here is what Lee Shooter says. calculated with .197 bc @ 1900

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1900.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	208040
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1900_2.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	208042

this is with Sierra 300 with bc .12

Rick C.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    A find muzzle velocity for your load.

B Use ballistics program to make a cheat sheet for your rifle.

C Laminate it and tape it to the buttstock.

D When in doubt, wait for a better or closer shot.

I don't hunt any more but I have one made up for my .444marlin single shot. And another for the Mosin. Does not take that much to do. And if you need it, you need it with you.
    C. should be verify. I find ballistic charts are sometimes not to awful accurate.

Rick C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast