Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: black powder in solid head cases

Boolit Bub

black powder in solid head cases

I am the new owner of a Marlin 1895 45/70, 22 in bbl.
    My interest is hunting with the Gould HP bullet .

Curious about the powder charge in FFG, the necessary lead alloy ( 1/10, 1/15, 1/20 ? ), and what the velocity would be.

Boolit Master
    This Glen Fryxell article "Expansion Properties of Cast Hollow Points" should be of some use to you. http://www.lasc.us/FryxellExpansionOfCastHP.htm

For your Marlin and the 330 grs Gould, 2F is probably the right powder choice. With appropriate compression - achievable with just a drop tube in this instance - a 62 - 63 Grs charge is probably where you will get with the bullet base only slightly compressing the load. I don't think much more charge will do you any good with the lighter bullet weight and shorter barrel. For likely terminal velocities in the 1,000 - 1,300 fps range with this load, BHN 10 would be my advice on an alloy goal - roughly 20:1 lead:tin.

Boolit Grand Master

If possible start at uncompressed no air space and work up in 2 grain increments to where accuracy is best. You don't state what powder brand Swiss, Goex, Olde Ensford or others. different powders want more or less compression to be at their best.
    I will agree with RPRNY at the 62-63 grain level, with a heavy wad to protect the bullets base.
    Several good manuals , SPGs load manual has a lot of good information loading black powder, this is by Steve Garbe and Mike Venturino. Another ( though it deals more with Paper Patched loading) Is Randolph S. Wrights Loading and shooting the Paper Patched Bullet A Begineers Guide.

Boolit Grand Master

As for alloy, Remington used 20-1, Sharps used 16-1, both were adequate to kill off the buffalo as well as many other creatures.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!