Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got a hog- sort of.

Boolit Grand Master

A sounder is a congregation of pigs.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Oh great, now I want squirrel and dumplings!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    "Glad to see you used enough gun for that tree rat. They can be nasty when wounded. "

Actually, they sometimes CAN be a problem. When I was a young adult, I was hunting with my Dad and a co-worker. We were in Eastern Ohio. We were squirrel hunting for grays. The land owner would only let us hunt if we used shotguns (it was flat woodlands). I was hunting off by myself. I shot a gray squirrel. I picked him up and he wasn't dead. He bit me in the right hand right between the thumb and forefinger (all the way through). I grabbed him around the body and flat wore him out against a tree. When I was finished, his head was flat and he had withdrawn his teeth. For a long time after that, I wouldn't pick up a squirrel until I fired a shot through the head at close range.

Now you know why I prefer centerfire rifles or revolvers for small game...

As they say, "Been there and done that" - a MEMORABLE occasion!

Dale53
    Nothing like taking one on in hand to paw combat! Mine was in the shed eating feed. I kicked the door to scare it out and low and behold, the door caught it by the tail. If I had let up on the door, it might have gone for my jugular, but thankfully, there was a broke off shovel head within reach, so a few swift blows did the deed. Good thing I had my glasses on, as I was showered in the beast's blood. I came in the house to wash and my wife thought I was hurt. Can't remember if that one was fried or dumplings but I'm sure it was good!

I've been talking to a local farmer who has killed 462 pigs since March. Yeah, they are a problem.
    Dumplings, bean meat, boiled then fried, stew, love me some squirrel.

Boolit Master
    A "sounder" is a group of wild pigs.
    USMC 6638

I love that early 700. Did you do the stock work?
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Thanks, Murf. Yes I did. It took a couple of tries to get the impressions out for sure. I like short forends and rounded lines and it fits me great. The Hogue pad is needed for full tilt loads for sure but my RCBS200grFPs at 2000 fps are fun. Actual weight is 217grs sized .309". I've fired a few 1" groups at 100yds with it. It's Tru-Oil on the stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Swine brucellosis sucks, it's the flu to the nth power. I wound up with it about 12 years ago after going too fast through the ribs and got a gnarly cut on the back of my hand and didn't notice it, small cut, but deep. Can still see the little scar. Now we use heavy yellow rubber gloves with latex underneath.

They also carry pseudorabies, a herpes family virus. They say that it's not transmittable to humans.

Several other parasites can be found in them also, kidney worms, trichinosis, whipworms, and probably a dozen others.

Recently, there was a plan hatched to poison feral hogs in Texas. Using warfarin, but it has been shelved for now, it may pop back up in the near future though.

I've trapped and hunted hogs for the better part of 20 years now, every which a-way we could figure. The chasing them with dogs and a knife is an adrenaline rush, mesquite thorns are nasty, but bougainvillea makes mesquite look like daffodils. Poison tipped mesquite, essentially, and I think it actually is called something different. I was brought up calling it bougainvillea and that junk hurts.

Hogs can be violent when wounded, just like any other animal. In the taking of hogs in the low 5 figures now, I've only been charged/attacked 3 times.

The worst time was one that was in a trap. I was getting him into the catch trailer and he hit the trailer hard enough to move it about a foot and he came out and at me. Got me in the leg and ruined a new pair of jeans. Peroxide, alcohol, Tylenol, duct tape, & superglue were, fortunately, in the first aid kit in the truck. He was enjoyed for several days for his efforts, wife was with me and despite the fact she isn't an avid shooter, she doesn't miss. It did hurt my feelings and wallet a bit though. He weighed in at a little over 200 when 200-249lbs hogs were selling, on the hoof, for $0.70 per pound.

Hogs can keep money in your pocket and a full belly in Texas. On the hoof, the price varies from less than a quarter per pound up to close to a buck a pound in the right places and right sizes. I've sold them from $5 ea to over $200 ea, just depending on the size and time of year. Have to be sold to a TAHC Approved buying station if alive. Never sold a deceased one, but have given a lot of them away. Neighbors to our property make some great tamales.

I've been out of trapping for a couple of years, we moved and sold off a lot of the equipment to help pay for the house. I've been rebuilding traps and trailers lately getting ready to start going after them again. I've learned a lot over the years, and the new equipment designs reflect that.

If anyone has any questions about traps and designs, and can't find it on the web, I'd be glad to answer any inquiries.
    I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

My Feedback Thread<->http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...7793-possom813

bougainvillea - only slightly toxic, like poison ivy. Yes they are nasty, wife has hers in the garage now and I brush by them every day. Mesquite are good for paint scratches and flat tires. Got a friend who is a weekend country guy, has pigs there and wants to trap. I suggested a wire fence trap, not a cage trap as he would probably shoot them on the spot.
    Whatever!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Flock shooting? Uhhh......
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Flock shooting? Uhhh......
    No; sounder shooting! If I had a belt fed 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot pintle mounted on the fence; I would use it. Feral hogs are Not game animals any more than coyotes or crows are.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not a fan of Tannerite but don't much care for hogs either. Looks like one was launched quite a distance by the blast. Must admit I enjoyed that little video.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Yep, that video is sick &wrong. And funny.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    No; sounder shooting! If I had a belt fed 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot pintle mounted on the fence; I would use it. Feral hogs are Not game animals any more than coyotes or crows are.

I Guess I have to ask why?? I've always treated them with the same respect as any other animals yes they do damage, (but have you ever seen what three deer can do to a sweet potato patch.??) But everybody loves deer.So they just over look it.? So why does hogs come in below the list?
    I wish we had a few more in my neck of the pinewood.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

You are welcome to come get a boar and sow. In a year you will have twenty. In two years you will have 100. Wild pigs are not native; they destroy everything they come across. I 've never met a farmer or rancher who said" I sure wish we had some more pigs!" In N Texas our main crop is hay for livestock feed and when your expensive equiptment breaks from operating on hog "mine fields"- it's hard to be sportsmanlike about it.
    I will treat them as "Fauna non Grata" until the Texas Parks & Wildlife Dept says otherwise.

And don't even get me started on feral house cats...

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    And don't even get me started on feral house cats...

You mean targets????
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12