Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: I LOVE steel targets!

Boolit Master

I LOVE steel targets!

At our monthly match this past Sunday we had our usual 6 inch paper target at 25 yards but the steel was a bit different. Instead of the usual critters we had 2 inch discs at 25 yards, a 6 inch black chicken at 35 yards and a multi colored duck at 50 yards all hanging on chains! Fortunately we had no wind and I hit them all for a 1st place score, second one this year! I used my home assembled long rifle "Betsy" from parts I bought from Muzzle Loaders Supply Co. It has a 50 caliber Colrain barrel and I use .490 balls, pillow ticking with spit, 80 grains of Goex FFG to get things done. I also wipe with Balistol between shots which about half of our shooters do.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I much prefer shooting steel!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

The negative in shooting steel is, the amount of ammo I shoot-up. In good weather, I'm shooting around 2k rounds a month. I'm having a hard time keeping up with casting, case cleaning and loading ammo.

Boolit Master
    Cases, what are those????? Used to shoot black powder cartridge 45-70 rifles, 25 to 50 shots or so at a range visit. Now with muzzle loaders, 20 shots is a good day!

Banned
    I converted to steel swinging targets a couple of years ago. I set them up at 100, 75, 50 and 25 yards.

I saved a couple of bucks by going with the AR400 steel as opposed to the AR500 plates.

Works good.

Steve in N CA

Banned

love the ar500's ... and water bottles, too.

3/8" ar500 plate on shepherd's hooks (and water bottle, too) at 53 yards out, you can just make out the bottle and the separate vid camera off to the left. GPR .50 flinter, patched ball.

Boolit Master
    I thought a funny thing awhile back; sighting in a muzzleloader.
    I been reloading metallic cartridge a long time, shooting muzzleloaders even longer.
    just recently i realized that muzzleloaders were re-loading none-the-less, you just dont have to pick up the brass, de-prime, re-prime, charge powder, seat the bullet, fill a magazine, cycle the action, and so on.
    with a muzzleloader it is all done in-situ; and then you go bang !!!!

Boolit Master
    Makes no difference what one shoots at. Get'in out showing up the club competition some. That's a fun time y'll.
    Congrats on the fine shooting there pilgrim.

Boolit Master
    I like shooting stuff I can eat! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Fly (WINK)